Your dream house and/or place to live?

Brandon Wilson

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
Long story short, my father in law is moving back to the area we live in after being away for the last 12 or so years. Unfortunately in that time, the real estate market has significantly jumped in price. To give you an idea how much, the house we bought 6 years ago has almost doubled in value from $472k to about $800k.

So he's got about $600k cash to spend on a place, but that will get him a townhouse/condo in our area, a shitty run down fixer upper, or a tiny house on a tiny lot. The house he's selling where he lives now is a decent sized house with a huge garage/workshop, and it's on just under 12 acres. He's not really looking to get into a townhouse/condo.

We're looking around trying to find him a decent place, but not much available in his price range that would interest him. He's 74 BTW and kind of old fashioned in his likes for styles of houses. Nothing modern appeals to him whatsoever. Of course all the new builds in our area are modern/contemporary looking.

Looking around, and I went onto the realtor.ca website. That was when I came across some houses I'd saved a while ago as favourites on the site. One of them happened to be a house that I would describe as being close to my dream house.

It's about a 5100 sq ft post and beam home, with gorgeous wood and stone work. It also happens to be in the place that I'd love to live about as much as anywhere on the planet: Whistler BC. If you've never been there, I can't tell you how awesome it truly is. The village, the mountains, the lakes, the atmosphere of a world class ski town/village. It also happens to be insanely expensive to live there. I've spent a decent amount (though not nearly as much as I'd like to) of time there over the years. But there is no way in hell (short of winning the lottery) that I could ever afford to actually live there, much less buy a place there.

It just got me thinking about dream homes, and places to live. So what's yours?

Oh, and here's the house BTW:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/...e-family-house-8468-matterhorn-drive-whistler

Falling Water or similar I guess.

Youre supposed to tell the world that BC is horrible to live in. The real estate prices are just jacked because affluent Chinese want some clean air to breathe in homes they dont occupy most of the time. Rendered null with the flames soon to rise. It is a beautiful place but increasingly elitist and annoying.

ipanews_35405a47-daac-4590-82ba-ebf41a7b9951_embedded412097

i was going for mother or sister joke but decided it would be too easy.

so serious answer is Alaska

Columbia w/ plane access to US healthcare

Edit:
Is he a vet? He can always stay a US citizen and fly back to get free healthcare when he needs to get checked up.

He can get a fucking mansion down there for 100k and the money will go much farther. Only problem is he probably doesn't speak spanish. So he would feel pretty isolated.

Last edited:
My soon-to-be-father-in-law just purchased my fiance & myself a house in Sedona, Arizona as a wedding present. We'll be moving there from my current place in Niagara Falls in two months. Which, my fiance nor I can't stand. But, due to circumstances beyond our control, we had to stay here for the past two years. Which was a huge change ( let down ) from her native Orange, California.
Unfortunately, due to the demands of her career, moving back to SoCal isn't an option but the opportunity in Sedona opened up for us so that's where we're headed.
I don't know if the Sedona place is my absolute dream house but judging by what I've seen of the place & the area online I have a very good feeling about it. My fiance is familiar with the area because her family used to vacation at the resorts in Sedona when she was a kid.

We’re retiring in 3 years near a small town called La Malbaie. It’s about 2 hours east of Quebec City.

4D341EBC-D78C-4BA4-953A-3998AED08CF9.jpeg

I want to buy lots of acreage and have a small farm. Nothing big, and i don’t intend to run it commercially. Just enough to keep us busy and have a healthy lifestyle with most of our days spent outdoors.

We both can’t stand living in a city so this will be perfect for us.

It would need to have -
views of something watery and green
an indoor swimming pool
an outdoor swimming pool
an indoor skateboard park
a japanese garden

probably somewhere in NZ.

I love where I live now, perfect city neighborhood, but my place is too small so I’m moving to the outer corner of my city. I’d ideally stay in the same place with more space and a small yard, but that would run me about 3 million dollars. I don’t think I’d pay 3 million dollars to live anywhere.

In an enlarged cottage with all the features of your standard suburban home (basement, garage, pool, circular driveway. All down a long driveway surround by ab 3 acres of nicely mowed grass with no neighbors and a picket fence trees between all me and any other visible man-made objects. Oh and last request...have a 2-3 acre pond in the front yard with a porch that overhangs into a dock over the pond.

Any loft with a high ceilling Near a Beach would do the trick.

IMG_20190518_091739.png

Washington, Colorado, or Montana. Someplace with lots of dirt roads and not the desert

Northern California would be fine also. Up near Redding

Any loft with a high ceilling Near a Beach would do the trick.

View attachment 584293

Love places like that. Two of my good buddies (who are also brothers) owned places almost exactly like the one in that picture, in the same building in the Gastown area of downtown Vancouver. One had his decorated very industrial, with polished concrete floors, steel handrails up to the loft etc. He was single at the time. The other brother had his place with hardwood floors, a hardwood handrail, wood accents etc. He wasn't single at the time lol.

resort in maldives: kandui
has nice accomodations right here
thanburudhoo-HonorsLegacy.jpg

Will love to live in Santorini (Greece), Sardinia or Trentino Alto Adige with my woman, but we both got good job and parents here

I just want a place like this

25-montana-a-16-million-mountain-mansion-on-the-ski-slopes-of-whitefish-with-7-bedrooms.jpg

With a room like this

Gun-Room-Machine-Collection-Collector.jpg

And a room like this

151563601.0.0.jpg

And a room like this.

mushrooms.gif

That's all I ask.

I love what everyone posted so far. I like where I am at, but I would love a vacation home in nature on a lake. I already live near the beach so a lake would be cool.

Back