Your Biggest Fail Moment?

TheMMAchef

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey all!

I kind of had a cool idea for a post. I thought we would share our personal FAIL moments of ourselvesin the context of training, competition, etc.

Were always offering advice, giving eachother the gears and what not.

Figured I'd post it in the technique thread as perhaps it could serve as a warning to others on what NOT to do!

MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, Kickboxing, Boxing, all forms of combatery chime in.

I pulled a ricky hatton once. Lunged in and got hit with a check hook and sailed almost through the ropes. That was the fastest I ever got up from anything bc I was pissed I let that happen. I am pretty sure I also said "god damnit" out loud.

Teeped a really sweaty guy, slipped on the sweat.

Mine by far happened during training....

I had just gotten in and finished wrapping. I went to go kick the heavybag bit realizing that the coach just mopped the floor. I did t set my foot right and threw my leg out and went charlie brown style into the mat.

I popped up so quick people didn't even have time to look over. Good lord did I fall hard tho Lol.

I basically let a dude lock a guillotine on me in an early BJJ comp because I was excellent at defending them in training. He was better than the guys I trained with. Match was over in 30 seconds.

My first submission ever was an Ezekiel choke on a girl I outweighed by ~80 pounds. Talk about an empty victory.

I took a fight on the last minute even though I had a broken rib. Did pretty good early on then got psyched out about my injury and tried to hard to protect it, left my neck open for the choke. The thing was I just instinctively tapped out, even though I could have easily gotten out of the choke and it wasn't really all that tight, as soon as he locked it in I just tapped and I still don't really know why. That was like my Roberto Duran No Mas moment. My life would have turned out a lot different if only I had won that fight, which I very easily could have. The broken rib screwed with my mind.

Lesson learned: Be careful about trying to look tough by fighting through injuries. Just play it safe and let your shit heal. People remember your losses more than they ever will your wins. Nobody gives a shit about your excuses.

Last edited:
I have two.

1. My freshman year in high school I ha to wrestle a girl (at 160) and she fire manned me like 5 seconds in and it was all my teammates would talk about even tho I pinned her like 20 seconds later in a peterson.

2. My second ever kickboxing ammy fight I kicked the guys elbow with my foot and I broke it and I couldn't continue. To this day I am his only win (he's 1-6 and I'm 2-1)

Teeped a really sweaty guy, slipped on the sweat.

Same. Not my biggest fail by an order of magnitude, but it always stuck out in my head as a combination of embarrassing and gross.

One time in coed weight training I went for one rep too many on bench and farted at the top of my lungs. It lasted through the entire rep and even a little after I racked the bar. A true marathon fart- I thought it might never end. EVERY single person in the gym stopped what they were doing to see who just released this behemoth. The mirrors rattled. The teacher put down his newspaper. My buddies DIED- on the ground, rolling around laughter. I was already red from straining but I turned a few shades closer to crimson due to the embarrassment. To this day it might be my longest and loudest fart in addition to being my largest audience for such an act.

One time in coed weight training I went for one rep too many on bench and farted at the top of my lungs. It lasted through the entire rep and even a little after I racked the bar. A true marathon fart- I thought it might never end. EVERY single person in the gym stopped what they were doing to see who just released this behemoth. The mirrors rattled. The teacher put down his newspaper. My buddies DIED- on the ground, rolling around laughter. I was already red from straining but I turned a few shades closer to crimson due to the embarrassment. To this day it might be my longest and loudest fart in addition to being my largest audience for such an act.

That's Epic, but all epic things need a name.

The One Rep Fart?

The One Fart Max?

I was the new guy at the gym with a decent but not remarkable skill set. I had plans to skip practice to hang out with friends, so I had a big spaghetti dinner with the wife and left the house. My friends bailed on me, so I decide to go train instead.

Hour long class and it's an ass kicker. Pyramid kicks, rounds of bag work, and combos with partners. I feel pretty good through class and decide to stick around for sparring.

This is where that opening bit about being new and unremarkable comes in. I want to prove my worth, established guys want to see where I fall in the pecking order so although friendly, our sparring is crisp and competitive.

I'm on my 3rd round and catch a straight to the body with about 30 seconds left and puke up spaghetti, filling my mouth which I manage to keep closed. I swallow it back down but it won't stay down and comes right back up. Up,down,up,down it keeps going. Meanwhile because of my headgear and mouthpiece, my partner has no idea what's happening- all he knows is he caught me in the body and now in on my bike firing, jabs to keep him at bay. He presses his attack but thankfully can't pin me down. I'm eventually saved by the bell and I realize no one watching knows what almost happened. I touch gloves and casually walk out of the ring and across the gym to the bathroom where I finally spew into the toilet.

Had my own "No Mas" moment years ago. I wasnt really even doing that bad honestly, I just couldn't touch the guy and gassed very fast for some reason. I quit. I waited for the jokes and laughs to follow afterwords, but It was much worse. Everybody just looked at me disappointingly, I had clearly lost respect. To make it worse there was a low of jawing going on beforehand so everybody was there to see it. It showed how weak I was mentally at that time. I guess you learn from it, I would rather get put down now, than to take the easy way out like a coward.

Sparred one guy...started off ok...potshotting with kicks and punches...baiting him..then catching him coming in...dude turned on the volume and had me backing up..hit me with a big right and a left hook. I feel back and went head over heels. The coach was old school so he is just laughing his ass..when I got up to continue..he was yelling you got what you asked for..I tried to warn you..

I grappled a girl who did power lifting and wrestled in college...I got taken down left and right..I eventually subbed her..but I just got taken down any and every way possible...

I am sure their are many others...but these to stick out...

Oh and one time I sparred saamag...we hadn't sparred in awhile so I was kicking harder than last time we sparred and kicking better...I also had been sparring g more than him at the time. So I am landing and he warns me..only hit as hard as your prepared to get hit...I respond by calling him a pretty boy and digging in a outside leg kick...

We'll he had enough of that shit ..starts rampin it up..just picking me apart and then hit me with sidekick...my when body shut down..and a girl who was in attendance screamed and ran over to me ..because the way I reacted made her think I was gonna die...

Shit talking and showboating has a price...lol

Probably in this fight. Right at the end of round 5, we both went for a spinning backfist or spinning back elbow. Wound up bumping into each other, happens just after 10:30 in the video.

[YT]MC2CwffByX0[/YT]

Gave my oppo a standing 8 at the end of the first with a long knee just before the bell.
Second round start and he has his right hand cocked back and is literally running across the ring and me, left foot right foot, full sprint.
My reaction was to teep him off his feet. I start to move my hips, but then I think about how well my long knee worked so I change my mind, abandon that and decide to go for the knee, all the while the guy is running across the ring, too close to switch knee now, maybe I should hook out. By the time I've finished fucking around, it's too late and I basicly just stood there while a guy ran 15ft straight at me and punched me square in the face. Luckily he kind off bowled into me, I grabed him and we both ended up on the floor and I got a second to recover. Not my best move

I accepted a challenge match over internet back in 2007 against a bigger and skilled mma guy. This was without any sparring or real training. Only lifting weights and hitting the bag the last 2-3 years.

I lost by lowkicks. :redface:

Back