Young people commenting on how they want to have lived in the 80s, other eras

Also, great
I thought Repo Man was awesome and probably ahead of its time. Its one of those movies that would have benefited from the internet if it was release today. Alex Cox would have been looked at in the same vein as Edgar Wright and Michel Gondry

Boomer's Believed that shit too. They remember the 50's and 60's.

In all fairness it wasn't till the mid to latter 2000's that that idea really began to be in the minority. Once people became disillusioned about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Wall Mart had decimated 'main street' Americana and the wake of the 2008 housing bubble.

Unless you are being ironic because that is exactly the complaint Boomers have about younger generations.
It's important to understand that we are being manipulated by our own biology here, and it's something every preceding generation has also fallen prey to- our brains trick us into placing greater importance on the music we listened to in our formative years, and these tastes haunt us for the rest of our lives.
http://leadserv.u-bourgogne.fr/file...mories-the-reminiscence-bump-and-the-self.pdf

When it comes to the relationship between nostalgia and music, something researchers know for sure is that the music we listened to as teenagers will continue to be incredibly influential on us for the rest of our lives. And there are neurological explanations for this. Your brain develops during these years, and so it stands to reason that the music you listened to as a teenager becomes quite literally formative. In a 2008 study from the University of Leeds, memory researchers asserted that not all our memories are created equal: the ones we reserve from our formative teenage years, as well as those from our early twenties, are the ones we return to and cherish the most. They call this period the “reminiscence bump”, when human beings retain more memories than they will during any other life phases.

And that makes sense, right? The records you listen to while you’re figuring out your personality will tend to stick. And the pure circumstances of being a teenager mean you’ll be listening to more music than you ever will again—at parties, while doing your homework, while enduring your first ever heartbreak, while swapping playlists with your friends, and forming extremely embarrassing garage bands.

The statistics don’t lie. Earlier this year, economist Seth Stephens-Davidowitz used Spotify listening data to ascertain that decades-old songs are most popular among a listener group that was in their early teens when said songs were released. Radiohead’s “Creep”, for example, is most listened to by men who were aged around 14 when they first heard it. On average, Stephens-Davidowitz found men’s favourite songs were released when they were aged between 13 and 16. Women’s favourite songs were solidified when they were slightly younger, between the ages of 11 and 14.

I was born in 84 most of my memories are of the 90s. It was a good time I guess
Same here. Born in 82. But even then, it always felt like we were on the precipice of a technological revolution that ended up happening this past two decades. So I couldn’t wait for the future, even then. But the 90s were fucking great. Punk rock, skate videos, great bands like Rage Against the Machine. The Beastie Boys. It was the shit.

Lots of violence in the 90s though.

I thought Repo Man was awesome and probably ahead of its time. Its one of those movies that would have benefited from the internet if it was release today. Alex Cox would have been looked at in the same vein as Edgar Wright and Michel Gondry
Has one of my favorite exchanges in film:
*staring at space ship*

"What about us?"

*looks at her dismissively*

"Fuck that."

Early 70's would have been fun aside from the gay music

No one was woke and everyone would just want to fuck all the time, sounds like paradise

The kids in the 80's likely grew up with parents with less money, generally, they had less resources in school, less options for play, less opportunities to travel, etc, etc but at the same time they had very happy childhoods, that were mostly spent out doors and anxiety free, as they made the most with the little resources they had.
I had working class parents, and in the 70's my dad built a split level bunk bed thing in the back of this 1960's flat-nosed van and we drove from Ohio to the Grand Canyon parking the van in KOA's and rest areas. We cooked meal on a portable propane stove, lots of Spam and hot dogs. It was kinda awesome.
More like underground 80s music aged well. Not so much with the REO Speedwagons, the Poison's and Christopher Crosses' that were very main stream in the 80s
In the very late 80s or very early 90's, I attend a Dead Milkmen concert were the crowd shredded a Poison album that was thrown into the pit. I walked 5 miles back to my apartment, drunk, when I was thrown out for moshing and was separated from my ride / friends.
I was stationed in Korea in 1983, mind blown. <Dylan>
Glad to see someone a few years older than me in here. There is a pronounced generation gap.

I was born in 84 most of my memories are of the 90s. It was a good time I guess

Yea, pretty much the GOAT era to be a kid, I too was born in 84. It was basically, Nintendo, Sega, TGIF, swimming in the pool in the summer, shooting hoops and playing sports outdoors. All in all it was solid.

If I was offered to go back in time and grow up in the 80’s, as an adult, I’d probably skip it because of what I know now of technology and whatnot. Even if I was told you wouldn’t have any recollection of the life you lived, meaning I wouldn’t know about the internet and etc I’d I still skip it. I enjoyed my youth in the 90s. We were blessed with a lot great things.

People always remember the good over the bad, most of the time. I'm an adult in 2020 and I can listen to all music, anything. I watched Woodstock, I'd never have wanted to be there but from a distance it's alright. I would have knocked a hippy out though and gave him acid so when he woke up he'd be fully tripping.

I would have liked to do cocaine with Rick James though.

Being born in the 60's is pretty much the ideal.

Your parent's likely didn't fight in WW2 and The Korean war was small so good chance they didn't fight in that one either.

The parents enjoyed the full effect of the economic boom of the 40's and 50's and you too would have been born into an era of overall economic prosperity.

So no second hand ptsd at the hands of the parents and the second gen born into economic prosperity.

When you graduated college in the 80's it was easy to find a well paying job and be able to afford to buy a house.

That and there was no risk of being shipped out to Nam as you were too young.

All these people born in the 80 and 90's make me feel old.

giphy.gif

The 80s were all about the American Dream baybeh!!

I was born in 70, so some key years in the 80s (10-20). It was great and before computing/screens, it was all about relationships. I worked a lot as a teenager so my exposure to adults was huge. If adults and teens were working together (grocery store, retail, sub shops, lumber yard)- it was really weird (end up doing drugs together etc.) I lost my virginity to a nurse for example. Things were different.

Back