Young people commenting on how they want to have lived in the 80s, other eras

No it wasn't. You only think this because you are fondly remembering only the very best songs from that era- 99% of it was unlistenable trash, just like music today. This is how it's always been.
Just a random sampling of hits from 1980:
screenshot-www-billboard-com-2020-02-12-22-39-52.png

For a top40/Billboard list there are some very listenable songs there. You should check out the current billboard hits or the last 5 yrs.

80s had the best:

Action movies - terminator, robocop, bloodsport

Best punk rock - blag flag, misfits, circle jerks, minor threat

Best drugs - cocaine cocaine cocaine

Best cars - honda crx, buick grand national, fox body mustangs, IROC-Z, toyota ae86,
Rumor has it cocaine is still around

Nothing like the threat of nuclear war hanging over you.

I grew up on the border of both realities. I think its a very interesting age to be. I lived the oldschool childhood where you would go out on your bike and do whatever the fuck you wanted etc, but then I was still young enough to be growing up with internet and technology.

Iphone came out after I finished high school, so we still got to do a ton of wild shit and noone was recording it thank god.

I was a kid in the 80's and 90's in NYC and the internet exploded while I was becoming an adult. I felt there was 1 difference (in New York) from today.

It was a lot more dangerous. There were constantly people beating the shit out of each other on the streets. In HS, I personally saw a guy get shot in the head in a downtown Manhattan pool hall.

My family also ran a store in Brooklyn in the 80's and my mom also got shot in the ankle during a store robbery on a Saturday afternoon. I was 4-5 years old and at the store - heard a giant boom and the next thing I remember, my mom was on the floor with all these people watching and paramedics attending her. She was also pregnant with my little brother.

My friends and I would get into mass brawls with pipes, knives, etc in JHS and HS. Also had 1 v 1 fights in college age years.

Also, they let HS age people just go into clubs and bars and buy alcohol.

It seems there's a lot less of that in NY now.

Last edited:
No it wasn't. You only think this because you are fondly remembering only the very best songs from that era- 99% of it was unlistenable trash, just like music today. This is how it's always been.
Just a random sampling of hits from 1980:
screenshot-www-billboard-com-2020-02-12-22-39-52.png

That's 1990.

I grew up in the 80s..... but.... it was an era lol?

I was born in the late 70's and grew up in the 80's and 90's. It was a glorious time IMO, but I remember being jealous of the freedoms and things that were gone in my childhood that came with growing up in the 60's and 70's according to older folks. My dad talked about stuff like drinking on the beach at 18 legally and flipping the bird to beach cops while cruising off on a motorcycle after they asked for an ID. My dad said that he used to spend the night of santa monica pier and catch fish as long as his leg while night fishing. Most of my family was from CA, and by the time the 1990's came about, CA was a giant shithole. None of the shit my dad talked about was there anymore when we went back to see my Grandma in the 90's. Like none of it. I remember spending a week in LA after my Grandpa died, and I remember thinking , "Who the fuck would live here?"

With that said, my Nephew's childhood makes me more sad than mine. He's spent 90% of it playing video games. His closest friends are kids like him that game all day every day that he met online. He's about to turn 18, and I guarantee that he's still a virgin. He honestly has no interest in girls from what I can see.

I wouldn't wanna be growing up in today's world tbh.

Older people have a pretty condescending attitude towards today's kids. Like they're supposed to stfu and not complain because they have iphones and shit, as if those types of things are the key to a good life.

I feel pretty fortunate to have grown up in the 80s and 90s. I feel like that was a sweet spot where we had a lot of cool shit, but things hadn't gotten too crazy yet.

Plus, we were still under the stewardship of my grandparents generation, who seem to the last non-selfish generation, who cared about what the world would be after they're gone.
your grandparents generation just got old in a relatively good time economically and stopped giving a shit. They were just as shitty as everyone else when they were younger.

your grandparents generation just got old in a relatively good time economically and stopped giving a shit. They were just as shitty as everyone else when they were younger.

I think they were just of the belief that they had a responsibility to something larger than their own little bubble.

I'm more getting at boomers with my whine, if that's not obvious.

It just feels like older generations used have some dignity and wisdom in their old age, while these days people just stay being shitheads into their 60s.

90's kid.

Getting dragged to Sunday mass when I really wanted to watch the NBA on NBC Triple header....The pain was real! I ain't going back!

I do miss that folklore/hearsay/myth of the 80's/90's that has since gone extinct due to social media...

"There's a grade 8 kid up by Woodlands who can dunk." "Bullshit, no way!" *Insert name* WAS THERE! HE SAW IT!"

Or "There's a grade 8 girl with F cup titties, and she's sucked 20 different dicks already!"

It's because we older Millenials/Y Generation wipe the floor with their Z generation sensibilities.

We have the work ethic of Gen X, the political incorrectness of the 90's, and the political correctness of the 80's. We're fucking perfect.

We know how to use a computer and a hammer.
Agreed. We are the perfect generation

I think they were just of the belief that they had a responsibility to something larger than their own little bubble.

I'm more getting at boomers with my whine, if that's not obvious.

It just feels like older generations used have some dignity and wisdom in their old age, while these days people just stay being shitheads into their 60s.

I think we are in rather uncharted ground over the last 20 years or so because this is the first generation to grow old who grew up in a culture of individualism.

That culture combined with being disconnected from moral advancements with age, being the dominant voting block by numbers and building up ecomnic advantage before voting to withdraw many advantages from younger generations gives us the current situation.

Honestly I think a lot of our current society actually depends on a held over reverence for age from the late 20th century when those of retirement age had fought or contributed to WW2.

I must admit, when I was a young teen I really wished I'd been growing up at that age in the late 1980's on West Coast USA somewhere, probably somewhere Californian with a beachfront. Just from the movies I'd watched I suppose. I still get a really weird pang when I watch those 80s coming of age movies where the 14yr old kid goes to summer camp and meets a chick etc, even in my late 30s!

Certainly less opportunities to build up anxiety.

Video games were classic. Final Fantasy, Heretic, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Mario Brothers.

the new generation doesn't know how hard it was to get your hands on p00n as a teen before the Internet.

I was talking to my lil cousin about this the other day. I remember finding a magazine with 2 of my boys and we "read" it about 3 times. Then argued over who got to take it home until we decided that we would divide it and take 1/3 of it home each.

1st video was from a friend's older brother. He would steal it (as the bro had a few) and charged us to borrow it. All of a sudden when my mum and sis were going out, I'd find reasons to stay in
<{yearp}>

It was risky stuff too. We only had a VCR in the living room, so I had to be on my toes in case someone came back home.

I graduated high school in 1988.
The eighties were fucking awesome. Think of all the movies that came out in '89.

Batman

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Back to the Future 2

Ghostbusters 2

Lethal Weapon 2

Bill and Ted Excellent Adventure

Roadhouse

Christmas Vacation

And Steel Magnolias

Back