Young people commenting on how they want to have lived in the 80s, other eras

Hulkamania, Mario Bros, Walkman, VCRs, Video Stores, Bones Brigade Skate boarding, Saturday morning cartoons with my brother, Bicycles, cool words like Radical, great movies, Jordan, AOL, GI Joe.

Growing up in the 80s-90s was magical.

I’m 39 so I got the absolute best of both worlds

It's easy to sit and cherry pick all the good stuff, but I can fuckin guarantee that if any of these people were actually transported back to the 80s they'd be screaming to be brought back here within a day. No internet. No smart phones. No Netflix. They couldn't handle life in the 80s. It'd be a living hell for them.

the new generation doesn't know how hard it was to get your hands on p00n as a teen before the Internet.

Last edited:
My high school aged daughter is pumped for the Top Gun sequel. She loves the original movie.
Getting a peek at 2020 Val Kilmer will be a good life lesson for her.

Born 72. Early childhood 70's, Teen's in the 80's, Twenties in the 90's. The 2000's as an adult is lame as fuck despite the technological convenience. Don't get me wrong, my life is good. Just doesn't have that zest being a kid with no responsibilities had. And I find it sad my own kids can't really do the things I did, because the world is such a fucked up place.

Older generations always pretend they had it harder than younger, but at the same time their youth was always more awesome, it's a strange one.
Sounds paradoxical but both can be true.

The kids in the 80's likely grew up with parents with less money, generally, they had less resources in school, less options for play, less opportunities to travel, etc, etc but at the same time they had very happy childhoods, that were mostly spent out doors and anxiety free, as they made the most with the little resources they had.

Kids later, despite having more opportunity or everything better or more available, are anxiety riddled and generally a lot less happy.

I will attest to the fact that the 80's was in fact the greatest decade to be alive EVER
if for no other reason than just the music

Kids have such romanticized and unrealistic views of the past. I lived through the 80's and fucking hated it. <Lmaoo>

I've been seeing a lot of comments on Youtube lately, especially on 1980s, and older eras, from very young people who say they would have wanted to have grown up in that generation instead.

I'm not sure what's going on. I'm thinking kids today have grown up with their faces in front of screens and have missed out on what childhood was like back then.

Here's Maher talking about when he was a kid. Sounds pretty awesome minus the drilling into him part

Also the pressure that social media brings. Every goddamn thing you do, every mistake you make, every embarrassing moment, lives on the internet forever. I wouldn’t want to grow up with that.
I was only 11 by the time the 80s ended so I don't have a lot of fondness for that decade, other than for MTV music videos and collecting sports cards.

But as a middle schooler and high schooler in the 90s I will say that there are some things I miss about it, mainly the music being much better. It was nice actually have more in person conversations with people as well and not have to contend with people who have their faces glued to a phone. But I also say this as someone who used to load up the AOL discs for minutes and troll the shit out of chatrooms back then.

If anything high school was full dopes with pagers pretending to either be drug dealers or doctors or some shit.

The economy was good under Clinton and people weren't as divisive as they are now.

It definitely is nice having the technologic conveniences we have now though.
The conveniences are a trade off. I’m about the same age as you(born in ‘78). If you had told Teenage Me that I could have all the music I wanted at my fingertips like we do now, I’d have shit. But there was something about digging through tapes, records, and CDs, hunting for shit, discovering things,, that just don’t happen the same way anymore. I miss that. I went to a lot of raves in the 90s, and back then I wished shit could be accepted enough that I wouldn’t have to worry about the cops breaking up a party 5 mins after I got there. And kids now have that. But they don’t know what it’s like for shit to truly be underground, to not know where the thing is until the day of, to drive with your windows down listening for the bass so you could find whatever abandoned warehouse was illegally being taken over. It’s just not the same.
Attitude era ftw
Both are equally cool. I got to enjoy Hulkamania as a kid, and Attitude era as an 18-20 year old. Saw Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff at a WWF house show in like ‘86. That was good shit.

I've noticed quite a few young people seem to think their favourite music scene was the mainstream in the 80s. They seem to think acts like N.W.A and Slayer got more playtime than George Michael and Whitney Huston.

The 90s did a much better job of pushing hard rock, rap, and indie music to the mainstream. It was the last golden era of music. These days we only have the metal and edm scenes to behold.

I always go back and forth between whether nostalgia is deceptive.

Is it the culture of your youth that was so great or was it simply youth itself.

Is it the culture of your youth that was so great or was it simply youth itself.
giphy.gif

interdasting

Fuck, remember playing outside as a kid and having to find someone who wore a watch so you know what time it was? Gotta make it home for dinner before Mom comes looking for me/kicks my ass.

A line no kid gets to hear these days is

"Be back before dinner" and then have zero contact with their family until then. I can't imagine letting my kids roam loose like I did in the 80's. We would hop on our bikes and not be seen again until we ran out of money or were so tired we would hit up a pay phone to get a ride home.

A line no kid gets to hear these days is

"Be back before dinner" and then have zero contact with their family until then. I can't imagine letting my kids roam loose like I did in the 80's. We would hop on our bikes and not be seen again until we ran out of money or were so tired we would hit up a pay phone to get a ride home.
I didn't have a cellphone till like 2006 and only got one for college. Even then I didn't use it much till smartphones became a thing and I got one in like 2013

Kids these days have a problem of FOMO. Fear of missing out. So naturally they just want to be included in everything and try everything which includes being in the past. The good ole days. New product? Must try it. Doesn't matter how crazy the new product is, they just must try it. Then you have guys like Maher talking about the good ole days, so these kids naturally want to try it. "Wish I grew up in the 80s like you"

I didn't have a cellphone till like 2006 and only got one for college. Even then I didn't use it much till smartphones became a thing and I got one in like 2013
I drove a dump truck in the 90's and had a Nextel that I could use as my own phone. I quickly got my own cellphone from whatever Verizon was called in 99.

Back