Social Young People Are Becoming Less Tolerant of the LGBTQ

It can carry the extra implication, but not always.

And like I said, even if you are calling someone gay as an insult, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem with gay people. Calling a dude "girly" doesn't mean you have a problem with women.

you don't get to define what is and isn't insulting to a group of people. you could make that argument about any offensive word, and a lot of people have and they looked pretty ridiculous trying.

granted, some people take it to extremes in terms of how offensive it is. it's not like dropping certain racial slurs or something, and you don't need to use the crybaby twittersphere as the arbiter of defining it. but as a general code of decency, it's not a nice thing to say and a person who is gay can and would find it offensive.

so if you wanna be a decent human being that treats people well, don't use the word out in public or as an insult.

that one episode of bill burr on the green room kinda highlighted this. if you want to say it around your friends (assuming you know they aren't gay) then go ahead. shit, i even make a lot of racist and even gay jokes in private to close family and friends. but i don't do it out of malice, i do it out of humor. i'm well aware if i said those things in public to those people i'd be a fuckin dirtbag with no concern for their thoughts or feelings.

i always thought it was a simple line to follow, but i have a cousin who doesn't fuckin get it. if he's around us and we make some asian jokes for example, he'll start making asian jokes to the next stranger he sees as though he thinks because we were saying it, it's now acceptable to say it anywhere. some people are just completely boneheaded when it comes to social interactions. it kinda opened my eyes to the responsibility of what i say because i influenced him to behave that way, even though he's just a big fucking idiot. but when you do things, there's always idiots that follow by example. now i don't ever make any kind of jokes about groups of people when he's around - i'm afraid he'll start calling a black person the n word or something and get thrown off a fuckin bridge.

I don't speak for everyone on Earth, but I'd wager it's the general consensus that it does carry the extra implication.

If you didn't on any level, you wouldn't call someone gay as an insult. It wouldn't carry a negative connotation in your mind. When you're calling someone gay as an insult, you're implying that gay = bad. Which is why you're using it as an insult in the first place.
No buddy, you're way off. When someone uses "gay", you're calling the person unmanly or FEMININE. Why? Because there are a lot of overly feminine gay guys running around. The ones who are overly flamboyant/feminine all the time are the ones you compare a guy to in order to question his manhood/masculinity.

When someone says "oh, you're gay", you really think they always mean "I think you're a homosexual and that's a bad thing" and can never mean "you're acting feminine like an effeminate gay guy"?

you don't get to define what is and isn't insulting to a group of people. you could make that argument about any offensive word, and a lot of people have and they looked pretty ridiculous trying.

granted, some people take it to extremes in terms of how offensive it is. it's not like dropping certain racial slurs or something, and you don't need to use the crybaby twittersphere as the arbiter of defining it. but as a general code of decency, it's not a nice thing to say and a person who is gay can and would find it offensive.

so if you wanna be a decent human being that treats people well, don't use the word out in public or as an insult.

that one episode of bill burr on the green room kinda highlighted this. if you want to say it around your friends (assuming you know they aren't gay) then go ahead. shit, i even make a lot of racist and even gay jokes in private to close family and friends. but i don't do it out of malice, i do it out of humor. i'm well aware if i said those things in public to those people i'd be a fuckin dirtbag with no concern for their thoughts or feelings.

i always thought it was a simple line to follow, but i have a cousin who doesn't fuckin get it. if he's around us and we make some asian jokes for example, he'll start making asian jokes to the next stranger he sees as though he thinks because we were saying it, it's now acceptable to say it anywhere. some people are just completely boneheaded when it comes to social interactions. it kinda opened my eyes to the responsibility of what i say because i influenced him to behave that way, even though he's just a big fucking idiot. but when you do things, there's always idiots that follow by example. now i don't ever make any kind of jokes about groups of people when he's around - i'm afraid he'll start calling a black person the n word or something and get thrown off a fuckin bridge.
What a random person takes offense to isn't my problem. The context in how I'm using a word is what matters.

What a random person takes offense to isn't my problem. The context in how I'm using a word is what matters.

you say that because you aren't afraid of consequences, lol. but hey, go down to a black neighborhood with a friend and start making jokes using the n word. then when some 6"5 brothers come to beat the shit out of you, you can explain to them you were using it in a non offensive context.

you say this because you aren't afraid of gay people. most are in the closet, or you don't know they are gay, or if they are you aren't socially conditioned to be afraid of them because generally they aren't very violent people.

it doesn't take much to be a decent person. try it sometime - you aren't actually patrice o'neal you know, you aren't funny and you aren't cool. so modeling your life after that guy doesn't make you like a badass, it just makes you a dick.

you say that because you aren't afraid of consequences, lol. but hey, go down to a black neighborhood with a friend and start making jokes using the n word. then when some 6"5 brothers come to beat the shit out of you, you can explain to them you were using it in a non offensive context.

you say this because you aren't afraid of gay people. most are in the closet, or you don't know they are gay, or if they are you aren't socially conditioned to be afraid of them because generally they aren't very violent people.

it doesn't take much to be a decent person. try it sometime - you aren't actually patrice o'neal you know, you aren't funny and you aren't cool. so modeling your life after that guy doesn't make you like a badass, it just makes you a dick.
I've been using the N**** with other black people all my life, cornball.

Besides, it has nothing to do with being tough. It's about not letting some random person who is looking to be offended dictate how I talk.

Louis CK has a great one too

"When I call people a f***** I'm not calling them gay... I'm calling them a f*****"

I think they're wrong on this one, and pointing to Louis CK's joke as an example is a little odd, considering he starts it off describing a flaming homosexual in bicycle shorts acting like a stereotypical homo. He wasn't even denying that it carries that extra weight and is particularly descriptive of a certain type...

As far the whole "tolerance" thing goes, I think most fall into how Doug Stanhope described it:

"I don't have a problem with homosexuals. I have a problem with F****try."

Which is like saying "I don't mind gay people, as long as they act like I want them to."

Which is fine enough, it's just that I find all the tip toeing around what the term "really" means, is more an attempt to excuse their inherent prejudice. Everyone knows exactly what they mean when they call someone a F*****. They don't mean "jerk". They mean F*****, and every man knows exactly what that implies.

Last edited:

I've been using the N**** with other black people all my life, cornball.

Besides, it has nothing to do with being tough. It's about not letting some random person who is looking to be offended dictate how I talk.

rofl, sure you have "tough guy."

go about your business then neck gripping beers by yourself at bars and scaring all the women away with your idiot behavior. i'm sure your friends really appreciate it.

No buddy, you're way off. When someone uses "gay", you're calling the person unmanly or FEMININE. Why? Because there are a lot of overly feminine gay guys running around. The ones who are overly flamboyant/feminine all the time are the ones you compare a guy to in order to question his manhood/masculinity.

Well yeah, that's my point. I don't think the gay community is cool with the distinction being made by straight people who want to define who the "good ones" are among their demo.

That's like a white guy calling some stereotypical black gangster looking dude a N***** in a derogatory manner, and then turning to another more socially acceptable black man in their eyes, and saying: "Oh' don't worry. I'm not talking about you. You're one of the good ones. I'm not racist. I just hate n*****s like that guy. You're not a n*****. You're a good black man, because you wear a suit, speak well, and don't act all gangsta".

Think a black guy would be cool with that explanation, about how you personally define the term and put his people into groups? I gotta feeling they they wouldn't be that cool with it.

rofl, sure you have "tough guy."

go about your business then neck gripping beers by yourself at bars and scaring all the women away with your idiot behavior. i'm sure your friends really appreciate it.
{<jordan}

Go project on someone else, you overly emotional sissy

Well yeah, that's my point. I don't think the gay community is cool with the distinction being made by straight people who want to define who the "good ones" are among their demo.

That's like a white guy calling some stereotypical black gangster looking dude a N***** in a derogatory manner, and then turning to another more socially acceptable black man in their eyes, and saying: "Oh' don't worry. I'm not talking about you. You're one of the good ones. I'm not racist. I just hate n*****s like that guy. You're not a n*****. You're a good black man, because you wear a suit, speak well, and don't act all gangsta".
Who is talking about "good ones" or "bad ones"? I'm talking about using the word as a synonym for effeminate.

Think a black guy would be cool with that explanation, about how you personally define the term and put his people into groups? I gotta feeling they they wouldn't be that cool with it.
Personally, I don't care.

And the black community problem with the word is mostly about WHO is using it. Most of us won't even care enough to even hear your explanation.

When someone says "oh, you're gay", you really think they always mean "I think you're a homosexual and that's a bad thing" and can never mean "you're acting feminine like an effeminate gay guy"?

It's yes and no depending on the day, but the fems (particularly on social media platforms) have been snapping off lately and attacking people on an intra-demo level for being "straight passing" in terms of how they look, act, present themselves; and the latter is a subgroup which actually comprises around 70%+ in reality.

Well, congrats leftists. You made it!

Tolerate me!

5876535030_4c8e08a597_b.jpg

boy-at-lgbt-parade-640x320.jpg

gay_pride_israel_027.jpg

It's because it's become too political and forced.

Back in the 80s, gay people were pretty terrified of being social ostracised, so it was a slow, gradual change to becoming accepted.

But trans has come about in the age of social media, where every opinion is right, no matter what - and there are echo chambers everywhere, and if you disagree, everyone wants to send you death threats.

One of my fave comedians, Eddie Izzard is transsexual, and he's hugely popular, because he makes it a light topic, rather than trying to force it down your throat every two seconds....

When you're calling someone gay as an insult, you're implying that gay = bad.

For most dudes it is. You talked about someone going to the hood and tossing out slurs. Well, go around to random dudes and ask to suck their dicks. See if you're more likely to receive a punch in the face or a load in the mouth.

Is calling someone :eek::eek::eek:, as a generic insult, insensitive to gays? Sure. But that's kinda the nature of insults. You can't really expect to engage in something that a large percentage of people are disgusted by and expect to be shielded from any hint of negativity towards that practice.

For most dudes it is. You talked about someone going to the hood and tossing out slurs. Well, go around to random dudes and ask to suck their dicks. See if you're more likely to receive a punch in the face or a load in the mouth.

Is calling someone :eek::eek::eek:, as a generic insult, insensitive to gays? Sure. But that's kinda the nature of insults. You can't really expect to engage in something that a large percentage of people are disgusted by and expect to be shielded from any hint of negativity towards that practice.

That's essentially what I'm saying, although I disagree that it's ever often used as a generic insult, like dickhead for instance. It's got a very specific meaning, and everyone on the giving/receiving end of it, know exactly what is being said.

Everyday in traffic, both to and from work. It just rolls right off the ol' tongue. :D

Shit, for all I know half of 'em are chicks.

It's certainly a satisfying word to say for whatever reason. Just one of them words I guess, like "fuckface". However, I'm not talking about just general rage fits at shadowy figures in traffic. I mean more on a personal level, where you know what you're saying and who you're saying it to.

It's certainly a satisfying word to say for whatever reason. Just one of them words I guess, like "fuckface". However, I'm not talking about just general rage fits at shadowy figures in traffic. I mean more on a personal level, where you know what you're saying and who you're saying it to.

In real life I don't know I've ever heard it used confrontationally towards a gay person. Just from dudes when posturing with one another for a fistfight. When you're challenging someone's manhood you gotta call 'em something.

I agree with you the word can't really be separated from the homosexual aspect and I think gays just have to bear that cross. So suck it up, pansies!

1493101301_leonardo-dicaprio-shrugging-his-shoulders.gif

Back