You the Highlander/any immortal, what sword you pick?

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
You are the Highlander or Conor, or Duncan, or heck any immortal, what sword will be your EDC for the Gathering?

I guess I pick a great sword, gives me most reach, and I dont know how to fence, so distance probably help me.

What about you? I always thought the Cavalry Sabre looks cool, and probably help with cutting heads.

Do you go for one that chop off head easily, or one that is quick so you can get in a disabling shot first before cleaving off head?

You cannot carry shields though. I do recall some immortal using guys first, then chopping off head. That wont be allowed, no projectiles, but you can carry twin blades if you must.

definately a sabre. easy to carry, easy to draw compared to larger swords, great hand protection and great cutting ability.

nd36vvxq7h411.png

Oakeshott XVIIIb longsword.

Specifically this one

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-medieval-munich-xviiib.htm

It has incredible agililty and balance making it an excellent duelling sword.
A great choise if youre on the battlefeld with your sword in your hand. But what if you are attacked in your home, on the subway, on a motorbike, taking a walk with your dog. something easy to carry/draw would be better. perhaps something you could conceal as well.

A great choise if youre on the battlefeld with your sword in your hand. But what if you are attacked in your home, on the subway, on a motorbike, taking a walk with your dog. something easy to carry/draw would be better. perhaps something you could conceal as well.

For personal protection as a highlander? Something much smaller and handier with excellent cutting power to lop off the heads. A katana or sabre is actually a good choice for that..but they are rather difficult to conceal. Hrmm..perhaps something concealed in a heavy walking stick. I dont actually have to beat my foes with the blade..if i lay em out then cut their heads off that will work too.

But for the gathering? That would be a duelling situation. I'd take the oakeshott XVIIIb for its agility or a Kriegsmesser for cutting. I prefer the Kreigsmesser over the Katana due to its greater length.

On second thought..the Oakeshott XVIIIb longsword may not be the best sword for this. Against humans it'd be my number one choice. I have never held a two handed sword with the kind of agility that weapon has. The sword I linked to is a precise replica of an actual museum piece, and while it may sound like a cliche, it practically dances in the hand. However, its not a great cutter, and to win this you need to sever the head.

So I'll change my choice to a Kreigsmesser. Its a monster cutter and has good reach.

Last edited:
I am not into swords but some nerdy kid was telling me the rapier apparently is most effective.

I am not into swords but some nerdy kid was telling me the rapier apparently is most effective.

Rapier and parrying dagger is an optimized choice for mutual combat.

The rapier has reach and speed, and the parrying dagger functions essentially as a small shield or buckler in terms of utility, so for a skilled user the choice between 'offense or defense' is 'yes'.

Speaking personally i would use something like an estoc; something very long you can halfsword like a polearm or quarterstaff, giving you better reach, defensibility, and flexibility.

A sword cane would unironically be a useful option, since you can use both the sword and the 'sheath' together.

Last edited:
The Deuce. Mainly because it is the only sword that I own.

My wife bought one for me a couple of years ago for my birthday.

It cuts through car hoods.

Rapiers and daggers are great duelling weapons against humans. But to kill the immortals in highlander you need to cut off their heads. Rapiers and daggers are thrusting oriented weapons, which wont kill an immortal.

The Deuce. Mainly because it is the only sword that I own.

My wife bought one for me a couple of years ago for my birthday.

It cuts through car hoods.

I own several ZTs, a fist full of fuck yeah. The Deuce is a beast.

Katana for me, since that's what I know. One on the longer side, 30 inches or so with bo-hi to lighten it.

Fuck swords.

Can use it in battle but it also has a utilitarian use as well. Plus unlike a sword if the haft breaks you can just make a new one and mount the axe on that... whereas with a sword you're basically fucked.

But you no way be able to chop off head. But if you poke opponent hard enough, he will be incapacitated for while. If you carry a small folding saw on you, then saw off head.

Rapiers and daggers are great duelling weapons against humans. But to kill the immortals in highlander you need to cut off their heads. Rapiers and daggers are thrusting oriented weapons, which wont kill an immortal.

There's no rule that says you have to use the same thing you fight with to knick their head too. You can use one thing for fighting then use something else once they are incapacitated to finish them off if you feel like it.

Last edited:
Back