You Run The UFC (Dealing With Fighters)

i wouldnt give a fuckkkkkk about losses or wins as long as everyone was entertaining. i would also treat is like the romans treated their gladiatorial games, i would make them all sleep under the ring and train in the parking lot of the MGM. obviously i wouldnt let them die though because then my business is gone.

if you want to claim to have the best stable of fighter, you cant fill up your cards with tuf rejects.

tuf was an incredible show that helped bring this sport to the mainstream, but i stopped buying ppv's years ago b/c half the cards were rejects from the show. i am not saying all tuf fighters are rejects, so dont get it twisted.

i haven't stopped watching them mind you. i just dont pay for them anymore

If i were running the UFC, i would decrease the amount PPV's and increase the amount of free shows. If you want to use TUF as a farm system, then at least put them on the free cards and stack the PPV's.

3 Consecutive Losses = Instant release?
No. Depends entirely on the fight.

Does it matter if they come to fight?
Yes. If you're not trying to win your fights, you're not cut out for the business. I don't mind if they're on their backs and getting beaten up, if you're trying to get up and failing, you're still trying. If you're not trying, I'd consider cutting you.

Does it matter how close the loss is?
Yes. Especially as judges decisions are erratic as hell.

Does it matter if the fighter is a 'named' fighter?
Yes. I'd never cut a legend like Wanderlei, Crocop, Shogun, Rampage, Franklin.

How important is legacy?
Not important to me if I run the UFC. It's important to a fighter though.

The UFC claims to only have the best fighters, how important is it to remain true to this?
Once again, names are not important. I want to hear and discuss managing strategies.

It's important. It doesn't matter so much on the low end, you need low level fighters to give your up and comers fights against experienced fighters and ring experience. It matters a lot if there are fighters who people believe are top ten in their division yet not in my fight league. I'd be getting Eddie Alvarez signed up right now. I'd have got Fedor. I'd probably aim to have a monopoly and get the authorities on my back for it, but if there's a fighter out there who is top ten and not fighting in my league, they'd be on my hit list.

i wouldnt give a fuckkkkkk about losses or wins as long as everyone was entertaining. i would also treat is like the romans treated their gladiatorial games, i would make them all sleep under the ring and train in the parking lot of the MGM. obviously i wouldnt let them die though because then my business is gone.

There are always more fighters out there.

I wouldn't worry about your business being gone.

:D

3 Consecutive Losses = Instant release?
No. Depends entirely on the fight.

Does it matter if they come to fight?
Yes. If you're not trying to win your fights, you're not cut out for the business. I don't mind if they're on their backs and getting beaten up, if you're trying to get up and failing, you're still trying. If you're not trying, I'd consider cutting you.

Does it matter how close the loss is?
Yes. Especially as judges decisions are erratic as hell.

Does it matter if the fighter is a 'named' fighter?
Yes. I'd never cut a legend like Wanderlei, Crocop, Shogun, Rampage, Franklin.

How important is legacy?
Not important to me if I run the UFC. It's important to a fighter though.

The UFC claims to only have the best fighters, how important is it to remain true to this?
Once again, names are not important. I want to hear and discuss managing strategies.

It's important. It doesn't matter so much on the low end, you need low level fighters to give your up and comers fights against experienced fighters and ring experience. It matters a lot if there are fighters who people believe are top ten in their division yet not in my fight league. I'd be getting Eddie Alvarez signed up right now. I'd have got Fedor. I'd probably aim to have a monopoly and get the authorities on my back for it, but if there's a fighter out there who is top ten and not fighting in my league, they'd be on my hit list.

Would you encourage fighters in that category to retire from fighting at some point?

it's pretty stupid to say you wouldn't cut some regional guy signed to fill a card for a home country.

Would you encourage fighters in that category to retire from fighting at some point?

Oh yeah, for sure. If they're getting beaten up and getting knocked out a lot, for sure.
I'd have asked Wanderlei to retire by now. Chuck wouldn't have got to fight Franklin. Same goes for Crocop, I'd have asked Crocop to retire after Mir.

But that's their decision and if they want to keep fighting, I'd let them under the proviso that my UFC doctors do a check-up prior to the fight and say the risk of permanent health damage would be no higher for them than it would be for any other professional fighter. I would put fighter health as my number one priority, above money for sure.

The Cyborg not being able to make 135 to fight Rousey thing, for example. I'd have my doctors do the checks and if they agree it's not good for her health, I'd ask Rousey to move up to 145 for that fight or never make it.

it's pretty stupid to say you wouldn't cut some regional guy signed to fill a card for a home country.

I wouldn't hire regional fighters purely to fill a card for the home country.

For example, if the UFC comes to the UK, I want to see a UFC card. I don't want to see BAMMA featuring UFC fighters as the main event for double the price.

I believe people would appreciate that more than seeing English guy 1 vs English guy 2 when both aren't ever getting another UFC fight.

Oh yeah, for sure. If they're getting beaten up and getting knocked out a lot, for sure.
I'd have asked Wanderlei to retire by now. Chuck wouldn't have got to fight Franklin. Same goes for Crocop, I'd have asked Crocop to retire after Mir.

But that's their decision and if they want to keep fighting, I'd let them under the proviso that my UFC doctors do a check-up prior to the fight and say the risk of permanent health damage would be no higher for them than it would be for any other professional fighter. I would put fighter health as my number one priority, above money for sure.

The Cyborg not being able to make 135 to fight Rousey thing, for example. I'd have my doctors do the checks and if they agree it's not good for her health, I'd ask Rousey to move up to 145 for that fight or never make it.

I think it's been suggested to Silva to retire many times at this point. I think a lot will ride on how his fight at 205 with Stann will go.

The only problem with not cutting a fighter who is severely on the decline is that amount of money you are paying them to lose.

For example, if the UFC comes to the UK, I want to see a UFC card. I don't want to see BAMMA featuring UFC fighters as the main event for double the price.

I believe people would appreciate that more than seeing English guy 1 vs English guy 2 when both aren't ever getting another UFC fight.

english guy 1 is possibly just as worthy as other bottom fillers on the roster, he's just less accessible because he's from the uk. the ufc in uk gives the local guy an opportunity, and the local fans cheer for him. they're (english guy 1) not there for the main event.

1: they are clean. This is a sport and cheaters will not be tolerated. you piss hot, you go out on your ass and elbows and if you want back in you start from scratch and work your way back up under strict testing to make sure your not on anything again. if you are caught again, fuck off, I will do just fine without you.

2: no limit on loses. I don't give a fuck how many fights you lose in a row. I don't give a fuck how many haymakers you throw either. If you are competitive you stay, plain and simple. if you are not you are out. If you are good enough, naturally at some point you are going to win again. Naturally i reserve the right to fire your ass after one fight i feel you don't look good enough.

I agree 100%. However, I do like that when the UFC goes to another country they try to feature as many UFC fighters from that country as possible. Ie. Brazil & Japan.

if you lose consistently by getting finished and OUTMATCHED your out.

I would keep the fighters that are exciting and include highly talented "boring" fighters. Match lower skilled, exciting fighters with others at the same level. Excitement is the primary criteria, but they obviously need a certain level of competence, since you want top talent and competitive fights. You can't exclude the best guys if they are "boring" however.

No other criteria is needed. A guy who loses 3 or 4 or whatever in a row to better competition, but is exciting should be kept. Have him fight lower competition. There is only one champ per division and there aren't that many championship quality fighters, truthfully.

1: they are clean. This is a sport and cheaters will not be tolerated. you piss hot, you go out on your ass and elbows and if you want back in you start from scratch and work your way back up under strict testing to make sure your not on anything again. if you are caught again, fuck off, I will do just fine without you.

2: no limit on loses. I don't give a fuck how many fights you lose in a row. I don't give a fuck how many haymakers you throw either. If you are competitive you stay, plain and simple. if you are not you are out. If you are good enough, naturally at some point you are going to win again. Naturally i reserve the right to fire your ass after one fight i feel you don't look good enough.

Fair enough.

I can't believe how lax the UFC is when it comes to fighters violating any of the rules. I agree with what you say about the testing and your contractual status if you fail. I'd also like to see it go a bit further into what they do in their personal lives. Hit & Runs, DUIs, domestic abuse, etc...

All factors need to be considered, including how much money the guy makes, how talented you think he is, how popular he is, his fight style, history, health, age, win/loss streak, accomplishments outside of the organization, etc, etc. There should be no unbreakable rules like "3 losses and you're out".

All factors need to be considered, including how much money the guy makes, how talented you think he is, how popular he is, his fight style, history, health, age, win/loss streak, accomplishments outside of the organization, etc, etc. There should be no unbreakable rules like "3 losses and you're out".

I agree that thee shouldn't be a rule that says "3 losses and your out" but I think there would be to be some type of precedent in the matter.

I like these, especially #1. Steroids really diminish the essence of the sport. There will always be cheaters, but the UFC should do more to limit them. I guess the "just bleed' fans don't have an issue; the bigger, stronger and more damage they can inflict/take the better. But I am with you.

I would make cuts based off of the likelihood of pissing off the most nutthuggers on sherdog as I possibly can.

You can't say you'd never cut them, but you'd ask them to retire. That is basically cutting them, because if they were hell bent on fighting they would just do it somewhere else.

Back