You need to be “Champ Champ” to be part of GOAT discussion; it is the hardest achievement

Is champ champ the hardest achievement?

• Total voters
DC was one of these champ champs and he couldn’t even beat the actual champion for one of the belts. He also lost both rematches to the guy he won the belt from in the other division he was champion in.

Only if you go up. Going down and beating on smaller fighters isn’t admirable

I did not find AS vs GSP interesting but against JJ. Even if GSP could get AS down, his BJJ skill with Length and Height advantage, imo, would have eventually brought the fight standing. I did not see it going well for GSP and struggling to get AS down.

There have been many people who tried to become champions in two weight divisions in the UFC and failing.

There are also a bunch of champions that became champion in one division but tried and could not become achieve championship status in two weight classes:

1) Israel Adesanya
2) Lyoto Machida
3) RDA
4) TJ Dillashaw
5) Dustin Poitier (interim at 155 but failed at 145)
6) Robert Whittaker
7) Frankie Edgar
8) Demeterious Johnson ( got pwnt by Cruz)
9) Jose Aldo
10) Luke Rockhold
11) Chris Weidman
12) Anderson Silva ( got smothered by DC )

These are all people that have in 2 or more divisions but was only able to become champ in one of them. They either were not able to take on bigger man or smaller men.

Not to mention too many fighters scared to even try. Champ Champ status is rare, so rare only a few modern fighters can lay claim to it.

Amanda Nunes
Henry Cejudo
Daniel Cormier
Conor “Notorious” McGregor”
GSP

These are the GOAT level fighters.

A Goat leaves no questions who is the Goat. But in his turf.

People will set their standards in what determines a goat in MMA. If you wipe the division out your are the goat of that division.

A goat of goats is too many variables. I generalize it: who won more rounds. I call the goat of goats who won more rounds...I think Khabib lost one to Conor. I know this has holes, like comparing JJ vs Khabib. JJ title defenses are more but what matters more ? more defenses? or dominating more rounds but less defenses?

I put Khabib over Jones just because he was so dominate. But I am overlooking JJ defenses than? I can see it argued both ways. But, I think Khabib would have lasted to 34 or 35 still dominating each round.

If IA goes on and dominates in the MW division, I will see him as a Goat of goats too and will not hold his lost at LHW against him either. I would just focus on what he did at the MW division. Its like holding GSP a lost against AS, or Khabib vs Usman, or JJ vs Francis....if they lose outside their division I would not hold against it from any of these fighters.

I always wondered if Roy Jones jr stayed at Middle weight his whole career what he would have done.

Last edited:
There have been many people who tried to become champions in two weight divisions in the UFC and failing.

There are also a bunch of champions that became champion in one division but tried and could not become achieve championship status in two weight classes:

1) Israel Adesanya
2) Lyoto Machida
3) RDA
4) TJ Dillashaw
5) Dustin Poitier (interim at 155 but failed at 145)
6) Robert Whittaker
7) Frankie Edgar
8) Demeterious Johnson ( got pwnt by Cruz)
9) Jose Aldo
10) Luke Rockhold
11) Chris Weidman
12) Anderson Silva ( got smothered by DC )

These are all people that have in 2 or more divisions but was only able to become champ in one of them. They either were not able to take on bigger man or smaller men.

Not to mention too many fighters scared to even try. Champ Champ status is rare, so rare only a few modern fighters can lay claim to it.

Amanda Nunes
Henry Cejudo
Daniel Cormier
Conor “Notorious” McGregor”
GSP

These are the GOAT level fighters.
You're not taking in consideration the fact that for a time, the UFC would require vacating one belt if you wanted to challenge for another.

Anderson Silva could've been a champ champ easy but he was never given the opportunity. Same with Aldo back in his prime, definitely could've beaten Pettis.

Realistically, any of the champs *could* move up a weight class and have a shot at winning the title against the current champ. Becoming a champ in the UFC in the last 15 years shows someone is an elite MMA fighter so they will always have a chance against someone who is only a weight class bigger than they are. Most would be pretty substantial underdogs though.

For instance Volk certainly could lamp Do Bronx and Do Bronx could grab a heel hook or other leg attack against Usman. May not likely, but certainly possible. Maybe the one outlier is Jan vs Ngounnu. Not sure that Jan has a path to victory there but the size difference would be immense and there are no other 2 weight classes that are anywhere as far apart as LHW and HW.

To your point about Silva, at no point would I have favored him against Jones or DC though he'd at least have a fighting chance against DC. Prime Jones beats prime Silva 98 out of 100 times IMO.

Aldo certainly could have beat Pettis. At that point he probably would have been favored to win.

Realistically, any of the champs *could* move up a weight class and have a shot at winning the title against the current champ. Becoming a champ in the UFC in the last 15 years shows someone is an elite MMA fighter so they will always have a chance against someone who is only a weight class bigger than they are. Most would be pretty substantial underdogs though.

For instance Volk certainly could lamp Do Bronx and Do Bronx could grab a heel hook or other leg attack against Usman. May not likely, but certainly possible. Maybe the one outlier is Jan vs Ngounnu. Not sure that Jan has a path to victory there but the size difference would be immense and there are no other 2 weight classes that are anywhere as far apart as LHW and HW.

To your point about Silva, at no point would I have favored him against Jones or DC though he'd at least have a fighting chance against DC. Prime Jones beats prime Silva 98 out of 100 times IMO.

Aldo certainly could have beat Pettis. At that point he probably would have been favored to win.

I agree with all that, I was referring to Silva possibly winning at LHW vs any of the pre-Jones champions though.

It’s def up there. There’s been what like only 6 people in the history of the UFC to hold two belts?

it’s an impressive thing to have on your resume.
a champ champ who never defended either belt > a champ who defended it as many times as Aldo, Jones, Silva? not for me

Back