You have a $15-$20k for a weekend car, what do you buy?

I'd want something without a top.

One of the best deals for a track/weekend car is a high-mileage and/or salvage title 2nd gen viper. Viper's are undervalued once they have over 30k miles as there are so many low-mileage ones out there; however, the motor is bullet proof and should be trouble free for well over 100k miles.

Also most salvage titles are simply due minor front end damage that totaled the car because the OEM hood is so expensive (15-20k) and insurance companies would rather auction off the salvage car than deal with the legal issues of not using OEM parts.

No one wants to drive a loud ass car to work every day but on the track I'd want to hear that turbo spool.

Speak for yourself. Nothing beats the sound of flowmaster 40's.

Personally for 15k-20k i'd build a flat head powered t bucket or a Vette cart.

Several of my friends drive Corvettes in the summer, and they paid anywhere from 12-15k (used) for them.

I don't know alot about cars, but apparently they can be easily modded with an aftermarket kit so that it resembles (aesthetically) the z-06.

They look great and are alot of fun to drive.

P.S: And to answer your question TS, I would get a minivan (dead serious) or pickup truck. Weekends are for running errands, so the extra cabin/trunk space comes in handy.

You could probably get two decent, or one really awesome, S&S custom builds out of that. My knucklehead was a swap for a factory standard evo but if I had have went with cash it's be somewhere around that price range. I know they're not cars, but... Weekend rides nonetheless.

Alternatively, a friend of mine bought a rusty old early 80s model Jaguar for really cheap, and fixed it up completely in his garage. Fully restored, it's a really nice car. Runs beautifully now too.

I actually miss simple little cars like this.
Lightweight, fun go-karts, I have a mk2 but really always wanted the mk1. Changed the head gasket last summer, just need to get it together to free the brakes and deactivate the immobiliser and it'll be back.

Speak for yourself. Nothing beats the sound of flowmaster 40's.

Personally for 15k-20k i'd build a flat head powered t bucket or a Vette cart.

I should have specified, what I was trying to say is that commuting in stop & go traffic in a loud, manual transmission car can be frustrating. I'd rather drive something more practical and save the performance oriented vehicle for the weekends.

On the other hand, it'd be bad ass to exit the company parking garage everyday like this:
cAqf3TF.gif

I should have specified, what I was trying to say is that commuting in stop & go traffic in a loud, manual transmission car can be frustrating. I'd rather drive something more practical and save the performance oriented vehicle for the weekends.

On the other hand, it'd be bad ass to exit the company parking garage everyday like this:
cAqf3TF.gif

Id prolly get the best camaro ss i could find for that price.

I bought an '04 Mustang Cobra in that price range a few months ago.

Any answer that isn't S2000 is incorrect.

Mayyybe you can get away with a solid miata and make it track spec, or an older boxster. Still, my first vote is AP2 S2k.

Motorcycle. No car is a weekend car for 15 to 20k. You need to go AT LEAST 30 and even that you will be limited.

Lol what?

This whole thread is so sad. OP, go to the Car Lounge on VWvortex or one of the mirrors or something like 6speedonline. Clearly there is a lack of car enthusiasts on this forum.

The big question for me is, will you track it?

Personally my weekend car will be a convertible, no doubt. I had one before and loved it and I plan on getting another soon.

Again my top choice is S2000. Dead reliable, fast enough, incredibly engaging to drive. Otherwise if you want more power I'd get a corvette. If you want more refinement, boxster s.

I'd want something without a top.

One of the best deals for a track/weekend car is a high-mileage and/or salvage title 2nd gen viper. Viper's are undervalued once they have over 30k miles as there are so many low-mileage ones out there; however, the motor is bullet proof and should be trouble free for well over 100k miles.

Also most salvage titles are simply due minor front end damage that totaled the car because the OEM hood is so expensive (15-20k) and insurance companies would rather auction off the salvage car than deal with the legal issues of not using OEM parts.

The biggest problem with salvage titles is the crazy cost of insurance (besides all the problems you might be buying). I'd stay away, personally.

I'd get my hands on some sort of mid 2000s AMG... e65, cls550, something like that

I'd get my hands on some sort of mid 2000s AMG... e65, cls550, something like that

The depreciation on those cars is insane! Neighbor bought an SL65 AMG, brand new, in 2006 for $165,000. He's put 18,000 miles on it, and would be lucky to get $45,000 - $50,000 for it now. Yikes.

The depreciation on those cars is insane! Neighbor bought an SL65 AMG, brand new, in 2006 for $165,000. He's put 18,000 miles on it, and would be lucky to get $45,000 - $50,000 for it now. Yikes.
I personally don't get it, but would love to take advantage of it... a buddy of mine got an 05 or 06 last year and paid under 13k for it... to a lesser extent, I remember seeing late 80s / early 90s Testarossa's going for less than 40k in a Dupont Registry about 10-15 years ago... now I think they're going for 6 figures easy...

A Jeep or Yota to wheel with. What the fuck would I do with a "weekend sports car" that I'll get ticketed/arrested for using to its potential? I could build a 4x4 and actually drive the wheels off of it anytime I wanted.

cAqf3TF.gif
My mechanic was a BMW tech.
You may get a kick outta this.

http://jalopnik.com/5979300/i-drove-an-ariel-atom-killer-built-from-spare-parts

The beast is badddd

The result is a modest 280hp, which may seem relatively innocuous. But when attached to the 1,400lbs chassis, this SR makes the Coyote lethal as a battle-axe; one horsepower is produced for every five pounds of burden, affording a power-to-weight ratio roughly equivalent to a Bugatti Veyron.

Back