You have a $1000 budget to arm yourself....

Militias are typically poor, and reliable AKs are cheaper than reliable ARs and often manufactured near places the are militia controlled making them even cheaper. Just because everyone uses something doesn't mean its the best. There can be a plethora of other reasons something is commonly used.

I'm not saying an AK is a bad gun, or round. Only that for a grand you can get an ar and accurately hit a minute of man at 300 yards and win an AK you're often down to 100. What's more, the ar is a much more modular system giving you an option to more easily add glass, change out the sights, change grips and stocks, etc. And its more common among soldiers and police officers, allowing easy scrounging of ammo and parts from enemy and ally alike as well as easy sources of ammo to find (military vases and police stations are easily located, not that the ammo will be easily obtained.)

So if you got a reason for the AK besides its popularity among rebel groups... I'd love to hear it. And please don't start in with the "AKs are the paradigm if reliability and have never failed" nonsense. Thy are in fact plenty reliable, but if you can't hit the target, I don't care if it can crank out 20 thousand rounds without a jam. I don't know where this mall ninja obsession win an AK and a glock 17 came from, but its pretty absurd at times. I'll take the ar and m&p 9mm as a superior combo any day. But its gonna cost you more.

then howz bout an AK-74? It is basically an AK-47 with better range and accuracy? :D :D :D :D

then howz bout an AK-74? It is basically an AK-47 with better range and accuracy? :D :D :D :D

You'll have ammo availability issues here. You can walk into Walmart and get 5.56 or 7.63X39 off the shelf. The AK-74 uses 5.45X39. Not a common caliber here in the States.

If you are gonna stock up thats fine. But I would want something that I could have a reasonably good chance of being able to scavenge ammo for.

Militias are typically poor, and reliable AKs are cheaper than reliable ARs and often manufactured near places the are militia controlled making them even cheaper. Just because everyone uses something doesn't mean its the best. There can be a plethora of other reasons something is commonly used.

I'm not saying an AK is a bad gun, or round. Only that for a grand you can get an ar and accurately hit a minute of man at 300 yards and win an AK you're often down to 100. What's more, the ar is a much more modular system giving you an option to more easily add glass, change out the sights, change grips and stocks, etc. And its more common among soldiers and police officers, allowing easy scrounging of ammo and parts from enemy and ally alike as well as easy sources of ammo to find (military vases and police stations are easily located, not that the ammo will be easily obtained.)

So if you got a reason for the AK besides its popularity among rebel groups... I'd love to hear it. And please don't start in with the "AKs are the paradigm if reliability and have never failed" nonsense. Thy are in fact plenty reliable, but if you can't hit the target, I don't care if it can crank out 20 thousand rounds without a jam. I don't know where this mall ninja obsession win an AK and a glock 17 came from, but its pretty absurd at times. I'll take the ar and m&p 9mm as a superior combo any day. But its gonna cost you more.

I will take much more reliable over slightly more accurate for an assault rifle.
I also prefer the bigger round of the 7.62.
I have no problem with people that like and prefer the AR over the AK, but if you are saying 100% for sure that the AR is better you are going against what is now decades of debate that has yielded no answer.
And the Glock 17 was popular because it USE TO BE cheap and would hold 17 rounds. I agree that M&P has taken that spot from them.

Urban, have you ever shot an AK? If so, have you shot one at any range past 100 yards? They are more accurate than the misinformation on the internet would lead you to believe. Buddy has land N of here in Lumberton and has steel set up at 300, 440, and 880 yards, and we hit the steel plate at 300 yards all day with my AK and his PSL, with iron sights. It isn't that hard with decent ammo, and we were using Monarch ammo from Academy (made in Russia).

Stacking tacti-cool crap all over an AR is 'mall ninja'-ing.

AKs are used so widely also because of the simplicity, so any peasant can operate and maintain it. Like the guy on the infamous show on Military Channel says, "I can teach a guy to shoot, clean, and maintain an AK in about 4 hours. With an AR, it's going to take a week."

Like the guy on the infamous show on Military Channel says, "I can teach a guy to shoot, clean, and maintain an AK in about 4 hours. With an AR, it's going to take a week."

I've seen that show and while no one can really argue against the fact that an AK is simplier, it's not like your have to understand quantum mechanics to run an AR either.

Just like the AK gets a bad rap for not being able to shoot sub MOA groups, the AR gets a bad rap for being "complicated" and unreliable.

There is no question in my mind that an AR system is the more accurate of the two between it and the AK type rifles, however I have witnessed ar systems fail far more than I have AK47s and I would wager those who give the AK a bad wrap in the accuracy department take their accuracy much more seriously than the average Joe.

As was previously pointed out, they are more accurate than they are given credit for but you're not going to thread needles or anything, no. Not in my experience at least.

Some AK type rifles perform better than others in the accuracy department, for instance I found the Vepr 7.62 to be more accurate than Norinco overall.
Both AK variant rifles.

I would give my money to someone who knows something about guns and ask for a tutorial.

You guys are crazy. I would buy a 10/22 and as much ammo as I can. You can be accurate out to around, 50-100 yards depending on the person, and what really matters in the end is ammunition.

You guys are crazy. I would buy a 10/22 and as much ammo as I can. You can be accurate out to around, 50-100 yards depending on the person, and what really matters in the end is ammunition.

All in the .22 ammo in the world is not going to do much against an invading army.
Sure it would be good for general survival, but this scenario requires a man-stopper.

.223 AK, 8 good magazines, not much money left after that. Maybe a couple hundred bucks left for a shotgun. I prefer Remington but Mossbergs are good too.

If we're talking militia, I doubt they'd be issuing .22 LR as "fighting ammunition".

S&W M&P 15 can be had for around $600. I'd pick up a used G19 with the remaining $400.

Op you're in Canada and have an ak? Explain yourself, do you mean cz or sks our did i misread that?

I'd buy one of the norinco m14a we can get here in Canada for 400, get it accurized and buy a cheap scope. andspraybomb it white so i can conduct winter ops against the invading american/chinese forces haha

Op you're in Canada and have an ak? Explain yourself, do you mean cz or sks our did i misread that?

I'd buy one of the norinco m14a we can get here in Canada for 400, get it accurized and buy a cheap scope. andspraybomb it white so i can conduct winter ops against the invading american/chinese forces haha

If we are invaded by the US they've got us hosed with 30 rounds of 5.56x45 vs 5 rounds (maybe 10 if you're willing to pay an arm and a testicle for a single AIA mag) of 7.62x51.

A pair of the some fuckin' sweet ass nunchucks and enough cocaine to kill a horse.

Ruger SR9c 9mm, S&W M&P 9mm. Mossberg. $1100.

$1000 would buy 12 Mosin-Nagant rifles. $90 buys 440 rounds of ammo for them.

Back