You guys have any luck with 3rd party Xbox One controllers or just go with Microsoft?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'm looking for cheap 3rd and 4th controllers for when my kids and I play 4 player games. I see some PowerA and some PDP but I don't want broken junk either. Anyway, maybe not the best place to ask this but thought I'd check on your experiences with controllers. Should I just stick with standard Microsoft wireless?

You get what you pay for. The only 3rd party controllers I use are HORI, which aren't a budget product.

If I were you I'd stick with X-Box or DS4 and save yourself the headache of a trash controller to save a few bucks, but I'm a controller/joystick nut so take this for what its worth.

Only 3rd party control pad I had that was any good was for the snes.

You get what you pay for. The only 3rd party controllers I use are HORI, which aren't a budget product.

If I were you I'd stick with X-Box or DS4 and save yourself the headache of a trash controller to save a few bucks, but I'm a controller/joystick nut so take this for what its worth.

this. Or just buy one used

I bought one in the X360 era. It's shit.

HORI and 8bitdo are the only 3rd party pads worth getting otherwise go first party or find a higher power.

For some reason, I trust HORI quality. I have a HORI composite cable switcher box, SFC Street Fighter joystick pad, maybe PS1 memory card CD jewel cases.

I never deviate from 1st party. Sony and M$ spend ridiculous RnD on their pads. I just bought a brand new xbox 360, never opened, just to get a new joystick lol. Guy was selling it for $40 on kijiji

I think the 360 controller, d pad aside, is the best analogue based controller ever, especially for pc. It feels perfect in my hands. I rarely have a compatibility issue too, unlike the Xone controller, or PS4, and a POS madcats controller I regret buying.

Last edited:
HORI and 8bitdo are the only 3rd party pads worth getting otherwise go first party or find a higher power.
You can add Razer to that list too, but they are pricier with have mechanical switches and everything.

I had an Amazonbasics controller that I raved about how cheap it was and the quality but it didn't last long. The left joystick has a left lean going on so when i play a game it'll just pull my char left, only had the controller for 9 months and pretty minimal use honestly. My dad actually has a PowerA controller as well and his was even worse, WAYYYY less use and it has the same issue.

I won't be buying any again.

I bought some cheap blue wired controller from Tesco's, for my girlfriend when I bought my Xbox One.

Official Xbox wireless controller won't charge without a charger, and I can't be arsed to buy one, so I just started using her controller instead, as she doesn't want to play with me, or my Xbox :(.

Long story short, the left stick has lost its spring and it doesn't register the left thumb stick press well. Sometimes the left stick gets stuck in up position.

But I don't want to buy a charging pack, when it should have come with the Xbox so...

I bought some cheap blue wired controller from Tesco's, for my girlfriend when I bought my Xbox One.

Official Xbox wireless controller won't charge without a charger, and I can't be arsed to buy one, so I just started using her controller instead, as she doesn't want to play with me, or my Xbox :(.

Long story short, the left stick has lost its spring and it doesn't register the left thumb stick press well. Sometimes the left stick gets stuck in up position.

But I don't want to buy a charging pack, when it should have come with the Xbox so...

Buy some rechargeable AA batteries that way you can use them in other stuff too. Or you can plug your Xbox controller into a power cube without batteries via a micro usb cable and it will work without any batteries in it as well.

Back