You gotta admit...

marksmen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Since the UFC made there own rankings, title contenders are easier to pick and promote. Also I believe there has been more title fights as a whole since they put the the rankings cause they know who is next or who is close. You can say they don't mean anything and they still have some undeserving challengers but not as often as before. It gives the UFC some structure and consistency when making title fights and number one contender fights. Thoughts?

UFC+159.jpg

disagree. not vehemently or anything, but UFC rankings mean as little as MMAJunkie rankings when it comes to title shots.

Hendricks v GSP would have happened if UFC started doing rankings in 2014 instead of 2012.

I was going to say "That's why Mark Hunt (ranked as the #9 at the time) fought JDS (#1), and Matt Brown (#10) will fight Condit (#2)"... but you just killed the thread right there.

Nicely done, sir. :wink:

Even marksmen miss the target entirely sometimes.

I was going to say "That's why Mark Hunt (ranked as the #9 at the time) fought JDS (#1), and Matt Brown (#10) will fight Condit (#2)"... but you just killed the thread right there.

He didn't say it was a perfect system, he just said it was better. Can you really expect #3 v #4, etc with the way UFC scheduling happens? Fighters can only fight so often, plus with injuries factored in. Which, by the way, Hunt was stepping in for an injured Overeem in that fight. So your argument is completely invalid. Overeem was ranked in the top 5 at the time so the system was working.

Your example just proves the point that it is very difficult to make all the right match ups to to injuries and time constraints.

He didn't say it was a perfect system, he just said it was better. Can you really expect #3 v #4, etc with the way UFC scheduling happens? Fighters can only fight so often, plus with injuries factored in. Which, by the way, Hunt was stepping in for an injured Overeem in that fight. So your argument is completely invalid. Overeem was ranked in the top 5 at the time so the system was working.

Your example just proves the point that it is very difficult to make all the right match ups to to injuries and time constraints.

Look, don't get me wrong, I don't care about rankings as long as they keep making fights that we, the fans, want to see. (Hunt vs. JDS was a sick fight and Brown vs. Condit will probably be very sick as well).

But Chael vs. Jones didn't make any sense at all.

I think the UFC rankings are shit, not because of the actual rankings but because of the process. The UFC selects a panel of "media members" and asks them to vote. Next, they do "something" with the votes to yield rankings in each division (and p4p).

The ranking criteria needs to be open, clear and objective or else the rankings are nothing more than a tool to promote the next title fight. The UFC should provide specific criteria to the panel and make it public. They should also release the names of the panel members and their voting records. The eligibility criteria should also be public, such as amount of time since the fighter last competed, whether they're eligible for ranking during a suspension, what happens when a fighter changes weight classes, etc.

Rankings don't matter

Even when they introduced the rankings to the public, Dana White all but said they didn't matter

Dana claimed it wouldn't change anything, and i see no evidence that it has, nor see any logical reason why it will.

trifecta

when Grant got hurt, then went to Josh. i see no reason to believe that would have acted differently with or without UFC rankings, and/or regardless of the fact he was #4 on ufc.com/rankings or #7 on sherdog.com/rankings

Why the hate though? Hunt was on a 4 fight win streak with 3 finishes and he beat Struve and Kongo who were top 10 ranked at the time, the fans were pleading for the fight and it wasn't to far-fetched

Brown's on a 6 fight win streak with 5 stoppages including stopping Pyle who was on a nice win streak of his own. Wasn't Brown originally scheduled to fight someone else before Condit and then kind of fell into that fight due to an injury or something?

Either way neither of these two matchups are unrealistic or crazy. It's an opportunity for a deserving fighter.

Why the hate though? Hunt was on a 4 fight win streak with 3 finishes and he beat Struve and Kongo who were top 10 ranked at the time, the fans were pleading for the fight and it wasn't to far-fetched

Brown's on a 6 fight win streak with 5 stoppages including stopping Pyle who was on a nice win streak of his own. Wasn't Brown originally scheduled to fight someone else before Condit and then kind of fell into that fight due to an injury or something?

Either way neither of these two matchups are unrealistic or crazy. It's an opportunity for a deserving fighter.

No hate at all!
I guess you didn't see my other post in the first page.

Here:

Look, don't get me wrong, I don't care about rankings as long as they keep making fights that we, the fans, want to see. (Hunt vs. JDS was a sick fight and Brown vs. Condit will probably be very sick as well).

But Chael vs. Jones didn't make any sense at all.

Peace.

I disagree, these rankings are just an illustration that means nothing (the Jones/Sonnen poster explains why).
Also, they cut the "number 6 MW" guy in the UFC and keep Igor Pokrajac, for example.

Since the UFC made there own rankings, title contenders are easier to pick and promote. Also I believe there has been more title fights as a whole since they put the the rankings cause they know who is next or who is close. You can say they don't mean anything and they still have some undeserving challengers but not as often as before. It gives the UFC some structure and consistency when making title fights and number one contender fights. Thoughts?

People still think the UFC makes the rankings

People still think the UFC makes the rankings

heh, good point.

http://www.ufc.com/Rankings
UFC Fighter Rankings

Rankings were generated by a voting panel made up of media members. The media members were asked to vote for who they feel are the top fighters in the UFC by weight-class and pound-for-pound. A fighter is only eligible to be voted on if they are in active status in the UFC. A fighter can appear in more than one weight division at a time. The champion and interim champion are considered to be in the top positions of their respective divisions and therefore are not eligible for voting by weight-class. However, the champions can be voted on for the pound-for-pound rankings. Rankings will be updated approximately 36 hours after each event.

ironically, it doesn't say anything of the sort @ ufc.com/fighter/HallOfFame....

I think the UFC rankings are shit, not because of the actual rankings but because of the process. The UFC selects a panel of "media members" and asks them to vote. Next, they do "something" with the votes to yield rankings in each division (and p4p).

The ranking criteria needs to be open, clear and objective or else the rankings are nothing more than a tool to promote the next title fight. The UFC should provide specific criteria to the panel and make it public. They should also release the names of the panel members and their voting records. The eligibility criteria should also be public, such as amount of time since the fighter last competed, whether they're eligible for ranking during a suspension, what happens when a fighter changes weight classes, etc.

The criteria is open and has been shown many times here.

The only ranking that matters is #1

The criteria is open and has been shown many times here.

is it more specific than this?

http://www.ufc.com/rankings

Rankings were generated by a voting panel made up of media members. The media members were asked to vote for who they feel are the top fighters in the UFC by weight-class and pound-for-pound. A fighter is only eligible to be voted on if they are in active status in the UFC. A fighter can appear in more than one weight division at a time. The champion and interim champion are considered to be in the top positions of their respective divisions and therefore are not eligible for voting by weight-class. However, the champions can be voted on for the pound-for-pound rankings. Rankings will be updated approximately 36 hours after each event.

Back