you fight that UFC shit?

Yeah, I just say I wrestle. If someone seriously said "so you think you can kick my ass" though, i think I'd probably punch them in the mouth. There's some extreme level of douchebagginess that just isn't acceptable, and I think that exceeds that. XD

There's always that "tough guy" that tries to buy his dominance with a passive aggressive invitation to a fight. If you back down and say something like "no, no, I'm just training for sport", even if it's true, the thought "yeah, that's right bitch" runs through his head. But if you say, "well, yeah probably so, when's the last time you trained?", he'll get all pissy. But the fact of the matter is pretty simple, if you've been training for 6months or more, even if you suck, you're still a long ways ahead of the average joe.

I've been a riding bulls for 17yrs now, and I wrestled in high school and college, then started training kickboxing once I got out of college, so it wasn't uncommon for me to show up to class back in college, or to show up at work, or family holiday get togethers limping, in a cast, or with a black eye, etc etc... Most of my co-workers have always been really interested in my "strange hobbies", and have always been intrigued to hear the stories that went along with my latest injury.

When you talk to people about fighting (or bull riding for that matter), you really have to dumb it down. When I trained Muay Thai for a few years after college, I NEVER told people I trained muay thai, because they had no idea what it was. But if I said I trained kickboxing, they at least got the idea. If you tell me you train Kenpo, or Koei Kan, even as a martial artist, I'd still have no real clue what you're talking about, but if you say Karate, I'll at least get the idea.

Yeah, it's kinda annoying to have people that don't have a clue talk to you and pretend that they know what they're talking about, but at least they're interested. As a bull rider, I can't tell you how many times I've heard people ask me if I knew Lane Frost, and tell me how he was the greatest bull rider ever, and how they've seen the movie "8 Seconds"... I bite my tongue and just keep the conversation light, instead of talking about how far the sport has come, and how today's bull rider athletes are very different than the guys back then, and how the bulls are different too. Or I can't tell you how many times I've had people tell me they think bull riding is cruel because they "tie that rope around their nuts", to which I always correct them and say it's NOT around their nuts, and I ask them, "if I tied a rope around YOUR nuts, how much would YOU jump around? Cuz I wouldn't move very much!".

People aren't experts in everything, but keeping people a fan of MMA is critical to its survival. Maybe a guy knows what UFC is, but doesn't watch it, but then if he knows someone that fights, maybe he'll pick up an interest more and start spending money into the sport.

Yeah, it's kinda annoying to have people that don't have a clue talk to you and pretend that they know what they're talking about, but at least they're interested.

yeah! i hate when one of my friends is talking like he does mma/bjj when im around bec he's like i want to throw a triange one 'em, or when we watch a fighter together and he's trying to summarize it for other ppl he'll say like he got him in a rear naked but it was really a gullotine...*sigh...at least he's interested?

People I tend to talk to are real respectful about it so I generally don't have any issues. The only thing people do is think I can kick all sort of ass. Which I don't care for anymore.

ive also had...

ME - problem officer?
THEM - do you know why i pulled you over?
ME - cos you cant find any criminals?
THEM - do you have any photo i.d. on you?
ME - yeh sure... heres my driving license...
THEM - hmmm (reading my id...) so where are you going?
ME - im on my way to bjj club.
THEM - whats that (raised eyebrow)
ME - oh its submission grappling, a lot of similar techniques to what pigs use, like knee on belly, and shoulder locks etc.
THEM - wow cool... wait did you jus-
ME - i said cop.
THEM - ....
ME - .... (troll face)
THEM - step out of the vehicle please sir.

I assume you are kidding, but......
Back in the 70's, when I was young & dumb, I got stopped by an OK State Trooper who asked me if I knew how fast I was riding my motorcycle. My response was "fu#$ you pig, just give me the ticket".
Wrong answer, I spent the next 3 days in jail waiting for a bond hearing on reckless driving.

i love being asked about what i do. im very new to the sport but i been a fan for years and love explaining the intricacies. i live in harlem and most guys around my way know what ive been training and they seem to be very supportive and interested. ive gotten challenged by the tough guy of course but im not fighting anybody while im just a white belt. would hate to get my ass kicked and become discouraged lol.

someone asks if they can kick my ass I say "yes"

Yup, get the "so you can kick my ass" comment all the time. I just laugh it off, but it gets really annoying.

i hate it when people dont understand that "ufc" is an organization not a sport.

i think im gonna start saying oh do you do that NBA/MLB/NFL stuff?

Hahaha a buddy of mine (absolute chirp show) wanted to scrap my brother, my brother said ok and this kid says "but none of that UFC shit" lol. I said we'd settle it on the court but he cant use any of that NBA shit.

No, I have had a kid on a bus ask me if I kick boxed because "You just look like you do that kind of stuff." Made me feel pretty good about myself lol. Most people are polite because I intimidate the crap out of them.

I assume you are kidding, but......
Back in the 70's, when I was young & dumb, I got stopped by an OK State Trooper who asked me if I knew how fast I was riding my motorcycle. My response was "fu#$ you pig, just give me the ticket".
Wrong answer, I spent the next 3 days in jail waiting for a bond hearing on reckless driving.

yeh i was joking just to clarify.....

almost nobody around me is phased by it, they just go 'oh... ok' its not like its some huge revelation

If people ask and they're genuinely interested I warn them "We can talk about this - but I'm going to go off for like half an hour. It's going to sound like I'm trying to convert you to my religion."

I have explaining BJJ to noobs down to a science now. I am always happy to talk about it.

I just started training a month ago got addicted right away. I went in to speak to one instructor for advanced handcuffing defensive tactics tecniques and by weeks end was enrolled in Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, Muay Thai, JKD, Savate, Kali, Western Boxing. I still havent remembered to bring to cuffs into class always leave them in the car.

As far as the "So you do the UFC stuff?" I have not been asked that. But the "So you think you can kick my ass?" line. I hear that anytime I have my police uniform on. I normally shrug it off (normaly teenage boys or drunk men) damn I hate beer tents....

I just started training a month ago got addicted right away. I went in to speak to one instructor for advanced handcuffing defensive tactics tecniques and by weeks end was enrolled in Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, Muay Thai, JKD, Savate, Kali, Western Boxing. I still havent remembered to bring to cuffs into class always leave them in the car.

As far as the "So you do the UFC stuff?" I have not been asked that. But the "So you think you can kick my ass?" line. I hear that anytime I have my police uniform on. I normally shrug it off (normaly teenage boys or drunk men) damn I hate beer tents....

I just stair at the cuffs untill the crook has them on...works like a champ

I get really mixed responses.
I don't talk about it much at all, but my girlfriend is really stoked on bragging about it on my behalf.
For the most part people either start to view me as some sort of superhuman badass (which is correct) or they don't really say anything.

I told my grandma that I box, I'm not about to engage in some lengthy conversation trying to explain MMA to her. She said she was surprised (because I'm a pretty soft-spoken guy) but said "well, you're built for it!" (I'm 6'4" 240 lbs with gorilla-like long arms). My grandpa was a boxer too so she's pretty comfortable with it.

Back