You Ever Experience...

GracieStudent

Orange Belt
Reaction score
when you're rolling with someone and you have them in a lock right? i noticed that there are certain people who will fight valiantly to get out of the submission. here's the problem: in there head they know we are 'practicing' so they try really hard to scramble out of position. BUT if it was a competition i would probably crank the move harder and get the tap or they will face injury. essentially what i'm asking is, is this common? do guys basically take advantage of the fact you're going to let go cuz they know you won't injure them?

Yeh it happens. Don't matter. As long as you know in your mind what you would of done at 100% competition level then that is all that matters.

GracieStudent said:
when you're rolling with someone and you have them in a lock right? i noticed that there are certain people who will fight valiantly to get out of the submission. here's the problem: in there head they know we are 'practicing' so they try really hard to scramble out of position. BUT if it was a competition i would probably crank the move harder and get the tap or they will face injury. essentially what i'm asking is, is this common? do guys basically take advantage of the fact you're going to let go cuz they know you won't injure them?

yeah i have, especially when i have a keylock

Sparring in class is much different than competing in a tournament. In class, you apply a submission, and the other guy ideally should try to escape until the end. They should tap before injury happens, but it's okay for them to take longer to escape it. If they never get to practice escapes, how will they execute them in a tournament?

I'm one of those guys who is very flexible, and you can put me in a kimura and bend the shit out of my shoulder, and I don't even feel the pain yet.

I've been that way my whole life.

Aside from that, I will always attempt to escape a submission unless I KNOW it's sunk, and I hate the fact that PLENTY of people tap out WAY to soon because they are scared.

yea it's a double edge sword. i guess it forces you to sink the cleanest move possible

it is not a big deal, if he escapes, he escapes.. he is prob just trying a move.. sometimes I just let them do the move (especially if they are from lower belts).

most people still try those moves even in real tournaments, sometimes they work.. some times they don't. I have seen more than one snaped elbows from escape tries..

Slightly different situation. I was caught in a armbar by a far superior training partner. He didn't crank it cos the rule when he fights me is that he nominates a move and that's the only thing he can tap me with. So I'm busy trying to escape and he's figuring out how to transition into the move he needs.

I think it worked out fine. We were both thinking of transitions but both of us knew that I was well beyond caught and he could've broken my arm easily if he had wanted to.

triso said:
I'm one of those guys who is very flexible, and you can put me in a kimura and bend the shit out of my shoulder, and I don't even feel the pain yet.

Aside from that, I will always attempt to escape a submission unless I KNOW it's sunk, and I hate the fact that PLENTY of people tap out WAY to soon because they are scared.
Shit, it's better soon then late. Plus if you have the move, do you get brownie points for waiting? :icon_twis

let him try to escape and try to control the submission, then when you feel like you're losing it you can switch to something else...it works out for both of you.

I try to hold the submission but not tap him, like if I have a triangle I dont let them break it open, but I keep just enough pressure to let them feel the move

Even during training i expect everyone to try hard against me as i am going hard against them (unless they request otherwise). If you feel like youre being taken advantage of for whatever reason, then tell them in competition they wouldve lost. Better yet, you can keep the submission and not allow them to escape without injuring them (it's very possible) until they get tired and voluntarily stop.

At a local tourney two weeks ago, a wrestler caught this guy in a solid Americana from mount. He had his arm bent so far around, it looked like a kimura. I still don't know how the guy didn't break anything. He never tapped either.

Even during training i expect everyone to try hard against me as i am going hard against them (unless they request otherwise). If you feel like youre being taken advantage of for whatever reason, then tell them in competition they wouldve lost. Better yet, you can keep the submission and not allow them to escape without injuring them (it's very possible) until they get tired and voluntarily stop.

telling them that they woudlve lost in competition is really unnecessary.
Does it really matter if you get them to tap or not? If you always get the tap or end it because "you woudlve lost in a competition", how will you ever train for situations where someone escapes?

I'm probably the opposite of what you are describing. If I am rolling - that is, practicing at like 80%, say - and someone catches me in a submission, I am not going to spend five minutes and 100% of my energy trying to fight out of it just because there is like a 2% chance I could somehow escape.

Even if I did escape, it was probably because, yeah, we are practicing, and the other guy wanted to hold me there rather than tear my arm off. I don't want to take advantage of that condition. So, partly it is honor: I've been caught, I made a mistake, tap out and learn from that. That is why it is practice. I think people sometimes have too much ego to tap even in practice.

Competition or obviously street fighting is different. Even if you are 99% sure you cannot escape you gotta at least try your best 'till the end.

I try to hold the submission but not tap him, like if I have a triangle I dont let them break it open, but I keep just enough pressure to let them feel the move

If you are going to resurrect a two year-old thread, please have something worthwhile to say.

Practise is just that practise. You are practising your subs and your oppenent is practising his escapes. When you want to test your skills you compete. Simple as that. If your trying to get him to tap for your pride, you should be in a competion.

telling them that they woudlve lost in competition is really unnecessary.
Does it really matter if you get them to tap or not? If you always get the tap or end it because "you woudlve lost in a competition", how will you ever train for situations where someone escapes?

there was some underlying sarcasm in my post, =), i just wanted to say, toss out the ego, if your partner is trying to win let him work at it, it shouldn't be bothering you at all. If it won't work in competition then show his ass:icon_chee

Back