You ever experience the white van scam?

I already knew of this, and was recently approaching by the scammer with the trademark plain white van while I was pumping gas on the way to work. He starts up with the usual bs "hey do you like music, we happen to have an extra surround sound system, blah blah..."

I just told him to give me break and said I couldn't believe they were still pulling that stupid scam crap and he left. If I wasn't in a hurry I would have asked him to take everything out of the boxes and set it all up and anything else to waste his time for nothing.

Anyone else ever encounter these assholes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam

Yup. I was 16, just started driving and had been working for several months so I had cash saved up. They were next to me on the road and shouted out to me asking if I want some good speakers for cheap. My stereo in the car sucked, so long story short I got took, sad to say. An expensive lesson at that time (I spent like $200-300; not a lot but at that time it was like 3 weeks of work). However I wisened up a lot from the experience so it was worth it.

Also, I ended up selling the speaker I bought for the same price I bought it for to another sucker at my work. I feel kind of bad, but I let him test it out and everything so it was his decision.

Side note - who would ever buy just one speaker, anyway? Now that I actually know something about audio it was so ridiculous. I wanted a car speaker and they sold me a single tower speaker. Man I was dumb.

Last edited:
A guy I grew up with, currently in prison for a pretty aweful crime but by trade a low level criminal, got burned by this kind of thing a few times that I can recall. He got some car stereo stuff that was pure shit, going on all about how great everything was, worth thousands etc., while the speakers were clearly shit. That's real commitment to denial.

nvr sound systems but i once had an athletic/explosive individual try to sell me dvd players (a couple yrs ago when dvd players were obsolete) for like 10 bucks behind a bowling alley

nvr sound systems but i once had an athletic/explosive individual try to sell me dvd players (a couple yrs ago when dvd players were obsolete) for like 10 bucks behind a bowling alley

Lol that's hilarious.

That means he must have just robbed a museum:eek:

Lol that's hilarious.

That means he must have just robbed a museum:eek:

hey man. museums got some priceless artifacts

latest

Some dude came up to me in a white van in my neighborhood. He said he had an hd projector. He showed me the box and said he had to get rid of it. He wanted 800 for the projector. I told him nah, and he said 300 then. I said I don't have cash and kept walking to pick up my son from school. This was about 2 years ago.

Sadly, I'm one of those people who got got. I was just out of high school and had no idea. Plus, my local barber shop always had people selling decent items very cheaply (dvd's, a laptop, things like that). So, I figured this must be something similar.

Took 'em home, hooked 'em up, learned a valuable lesson about people in white vans.

not took but i did get some speakers from a van like this. About a decade or so this guy gave me a set of speakers for nothing. Can't remember if they were great or not, i do recall them lasting a few years though.

Wow, this is actually a thing?

This happened to me outside of a Best Buy as I was leaving several years ago, and this overenthusiastic white dude parked next to me was trying to sell me a surround sound system from his car (can't remember if it was a white van).

I politely declined, but he persisted. I told him I didn't have that kind of cash on me, and he said "obviously," and said he would follow me to the nearest bank. He showed me the speakers, and it was like some no-name garbage, not even an LG or Sony. I just kept rebuffing, and he finally clued up that there was no way I was parting with any cash, and went away.

I would totally buy stolen goods though

Sometimes I've bought things from bug name stores and felt like I got scammed

Hadn't heard about this. Looked it up on Youtube. These guys don't look scummy at all.

And it looks like the thing they're selling goes for about $400 on amazon. There aren't many reviews, but they seem to reference the white van scam.

[YT]BaV-3Cjx8o8[/YT]

It's been a couple of years, but i used to get it almost every week at gas stations in my area. Typically guys in a SUV saying that they have free speakers from a canceled delivery or overstock..some bullshit. Never bought it. Although the first time i thought some guys were trying to tag some stolen shit on me but the second time with pretty much the same lines a knew it was a scam.

laughing at baseheads trying to sell some broken amps

I was approached once by these guys out of a white van. Fortunately for me (and common sense) I was already aware of this scam. I let the guys sell me their pitch and I put on a Kevin Spacey-like acting job of believing them and asking really dumb questions that followed up with "oh wow those are high level specs!" and "damn you can sell these on eBay for this much?!?".

I was at a supermarket that had a Wells Fargo. I told them I didn't have checks or cash on me so let's go into the Wells Fargo so I can withdraw. I convinced one of them to follow me inside and proceeded to do more acting telling him that there was a problem with my card and needed to talk to a teller.

So, I sat down with the teller and proceeded to teller to take a quick look at that man over there, he is trying to scam me out of fake speakers with fake specifications etc. I told her to call the police as he is waiting for me to withdraw funds.

The cops came in like 1 minute as I guess there was a unit very close by not doing much. The guy was looking out the window and I saw him instantly run out the store as the officer pulled in the lot. I ran outside and pointed to the cop then pointed to the guy running into the van. The cop popped his berrie beams and long story short more units arrived and confiscated all their shit.

As I think about it now and being a LEO, I was never called into court for the incident even though I exposed these fucks as best I could. Which means that they got away with any trademark issues, statutes of selling without a license, fraud etc.

Regardless, I didn't need to be a cop at the time to tell that these guys were lifetime losers and would never amount to anything in life besides a jail cell, even if they got some quick cash scamming saps.

you's a snitch bitch, Palis

Check this guy out. He opens up some of the stuff and shows just how crappy the insides are.

It's actually kinda funny how giddy he gets as he points out all the shortcuts, counterfeit parts, etc. Kinda nonchalant, like everyone's going to understand what the heck he's talking about.

Last edited:
I actually did buy speakers from a guy in a white van. Good quality ones too. Had them for 5+ years.

Same.

The speakers were't great, but this was twenty five years ago and I only paid fifty bucks. Well worth it.

Not only have I seen it my self, I also met a girl for drinks that used to do it.

Nope, never. Any flim flam man worth half his salt can tell I'm not worth their time.

Hadn't heard about this. Looked it up on Youtube. These guys don't look scummy at all.

And it looks like the thing they're selling goes for about $400 on amazon. There aren't many reviews, but they seem to reference the white van scam.

[YT]BaV-3Cjx8o8[/YT]

lol @ asking 4k for their K-Mart brand Bang & Olufsen.

Terrible acting.

0/10

Would not get scammed again.

Back