"You dont stop the fight, the ref does!"

He followed the refs orders when he noticed the ref, 1 second later. The ref was the one who took forever to get into position and assert himself.

If we're punishing Palhares for past crimes then just say that, don't pretend he seriously crossed the line in the Pierce fight.

I've seen no evidence that the ref was late to step in. It looks to me like the ref stepped in quickly.

Why does the ref need to "assert" himself? Did Palhares not feel the tapping already and think to be aware of the ref?

we've seen a number of false or denied tapes in the past - palhares himself lost a fight because he stopped before the ref said to stop - they're told to go until the ref intervenes and if anything it looked like the ref was out of position and took too long to insert himself between them

I've seen no evidence that the ref was late to step in. It looks to me like the ref stepped in quickly.
The ref was on the wrong side and nowhere near them for the majority of that submissions application. He jumped in fast when he finally caught wind of what was going on, but he didn't even physically assert himself correctly.

when the ref did his job, so did paul harris...

the guy gets in trouble for ending the fight too soon, too late... someone needs to read him that goldie locks story...

or maybe you shertards can just realize that this is the hurt business and you don't stop until the ref pulls you off...

ya, he's had issues with this in the past, but the fight against pierce was NOT an example of holding too long. maybe you should all be yelling at dana to amend the rules so that a fighter can stop after a tap

To me it looks like they roll over slightly, with the weight of the referee pushing them. Does not look like a crank.

Also, I agree with Godzilla. You can blame him for past indiscretions, but this fight with Pierce is blown way out of proportion. To me it looks as the following:

Pierce taps, Palhares holds, the ref jumps in while Palhares is looking downwards. He looks up and turns his head, notices the ref and lets go. All within a bit over a second. Meanwhile Pierce, according to himself, was not hurt or injured during the submission.

I conclude the backlash is overboard and peoples judgement are skewed in this case, because it's Palhares.

It's not overblown. When you've been busted once for an offense, and repeat it later, the action taken against you should be harsher, despite the second offense arguably being less severe.

If you were convicted of an assault on someone and sent them to the hospital for a month and they were eating out of a tube, you'd get punished. Let's say a few years later you beat another guy up, but this time you just broke his nose and scraped him up. The second assault is less physically damaging, but legally it's a huge fuck-up. You did your time for your first offense but apparently did not learn your lesson. You shouldn't get the same type of slap on the wrist that a first-time offender would get for breaking a guy's nose; instead your past crimes which were equal in character but inequal in severity should be factored into your sentence.

we've seen a number of false or denied tapes in the past - palhares himself lost a fight because he stopped before the ref said to stop - they're told to go until the ref intervenes and if anything it looked like the ref was out of position and took too long to insert himself between them

iRXG0ucUWwB9L.gif

How can you say that the ref took a long time to step in? He immediately dives in to stop the fight.

He's a repeat offender coming off a submission suspension, two KO losses and a suspension for steroids. was do or die for Palhares, and he pulled his leglock crap again. The guy's not right upstairs. End of story. Goodbye, Palhares. Most of the respectable MMA community agrees, too.

The ref was on the wrong side and nowhere near them for the majority of that submissions application. He jumped in fast when he finally caught wind of what was going on, but he didn't even physically assert himself correctly.

The ref is barely outside of the frame and immediately jumps in on the tap. The ref is not supposed to assert himself physically at all, he is supposed to signal that the fight is over. He only has to assert himself physically because Palhares doesn't let go.

iRXG0ucUWwB9L.gif

How can you say that the ref took a long time to step in? He immediately dives in to stop the fight.

Also, look at this shot. Does the position Palhares is in look like the position of a man releasing a hold? How about his tensed back muscles? Do those indicate that he's still grabbing on tightly, or letting go? It's clear he knows the ref is telling him to stop, as the ref's left hand is essentially in his face and he's lying on top of them.

Palhares-submission_vice_670.jpg

iRXG0ucUWwB9L.gif

all you're doing is proving me right - he was on the wrong side of the action and had to jump around them and then instead of going right to palhares to get his attention he moves to the sub itself and then up to palhares - the moment palhares notices him he lets go

instant replay of taps when the ref doesn't see it. 6 taps are enough to be felt or seen.

The guy gave another big torque at the very end on purpose after the ref touched him. He did that on purpose, watch the replay again, it's obvious.

Ok so why does he do that ?
What happen to him in his childhood
To make him do that to his opponent
Anyone?

The ref is barely outside of the frame and immediately jumps in on the tap. The ref is not supposed to assert himself physically at all, he is supposed to signal that the fight is over. He only has to assert himself physically because Palhares doesn't let go.
How do you think the ref is supposed to signal to both fighters that the fight is over? Hint: it's not by walking out of frame in the wrong direction as a leglock is being applied. It's also not by just saying "STOP" in a deafening loud arena and hoping somebody hears you.

It's by physically interjecting yourself between the 2 fighters. That's the only way to make sure they notice you.

He's a repeat offender coming off a submission suspension, two KO losses and a suspension for steroids. was do or die for Palhares, and he pulled his leglock crap again. The guy's not right upstairs. End of story. Goodbye, Palhares. Most of the respectable MMA community agrees, too.

basically all you're saying is that this is an incident of his past coloring the event and that's why he's being punished - i agree

instant replay of taps when the ref doesn't see it. 6 taps are enough to be felt or seen.

palhares isn't looking at pierce he's concentrating solely on the sub - you go until the ref stops it

Has Paul Harris made a statment yet? I would like to get his take on what happened.

all you're doing is proving me right - he was on the wrong side of the action and had to jump around them and then instead of going right to palhares to get his attention he moves to the sub itself and then up to palhares - the moment palhares notices him he lets go

The rationalizing around here is ridiculous. There is no correct side when the gif begins. Pierce's back is towards the cage and Palhares' back is towards the mat. Palhares rolls and the ref walks around to that side of the fighters. Then, he immediately jumps in on the tap.

The ref's first contact is clearly on Palhares and nearly all of the contact is to Palhares. It's not his job to physically restrain Palhares. Palhares is supposed to release the hold as soon as the ref contacts him, not when the ref contacts a specific area on his body.

I didnt say he needed to let go when he felt the taps, just to be more aware of the ref's impending arrival. Thus when the ref first put a hand on him as he was sliding in that should have been sufficient, all this "he didnt see him right away" and "the ref didnt assert himself enough" acts like he had no idea a ref might be coming

Cant hate palhares for following the bosses orders.

Except he failed to follow the "bosses orders" by finishing early and by finishing late, twice. Neither of those are correct.

There are a lot of great athletes who simply don't have the mental faculties to understand basic sporting rules.
There is a specific place for them to compete, and it is called the Special Olympics.

The rationalizing around here is ridiculous. There is no correct side when the gif begins. Pierce's back is towards the cage and Palhares' back is towards the mat. Palhares rolls and the ref walks around to that side of the fighters. Then, he immediately jumps in on the tap.

The ref's first contact is clearly on Palhares and nearly all of the contact is to Palhares. It's not his job to physically restrain Palhares. Palhares is supposed to release the hold as soon as the ref contacts him, not when the ref contacts a specific area on his body.

if you don't think there's such a thing as a ref being out of position than i don't know what to tell you - it's obvious from the video and i'm not the only one saying it - and no he doesn't make contact with palhares 1st - it clearly shows him going to the sub 1st and then moving up to get palhares' attention - if anything the histrionics on display painting palhares as some evil villain are far more egregious and obvious than any supposed "rationalizing" on my part

clearly we won't agree - i'm neutral when it comes to palhares in general so none of this is any skin off my back

Back