"You dont stop the fight, the ref does!"

RcksonbyArmbar

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Not here to defend palhares or rip him, but thread title is a quote from dana to palhares after the dan miller premature win celebration fiasco. Cant hate palhares for following the bosses orders.

But with prior incidents it is kind of a tough call.

He didn't stop as soon as the ref stepped in. This is not the first time he's done this. He did it in ADCC as well.

He's shown he can't be trusted to follow ref's orders, so he's a liability.

He followed the refs orders when he noticed the ref, 1 second later. The ref was the one who took forever to get into position and assert himself.

If we're punishing Palhares for past crimes then just say that, don't pretend he seriously crossed the line in the Pierce fight.

He followed the refs orders when he noticed the ref, 1 second later. The ref was the one who took forever to get into position and assert himself.

If we're punishing Palhares for past crimes then just say that, don't pretend he seriously crossed the line in the Pierce fight.

this - i just watched that fight (minutes ago - didn't see it fight night) and i didn't really see it it - it seemed to me as soon as he noticed the ref break in he let it go

Repeat offender is as repeat offender does.

No question, Palhares is a victim of his past crimes. Rightfully so.

Only he didn't stop as the ref came in trying to push him off

The guy gave another big torque at the very end on purpose after the ref touched him. He did that on purpose, watch the replay again, it's obvious.

We're "trying" to be a legitimate sport here and clown action like this is bad for business. Palhares was being a poor sportsman and trying to rub it in...anyone who's familiar with mma saw clearly what happened here, and the UFC will distance themselves from incidents like this every time. #He did this to himself go lie in the bed you just made smart guy.

He let go 1 second later guys.. Gimme a break with the bullshit he let go at the appropriate time if following that guideline. The problem is he didn't know/understand the AC rules that a tap whether verbal or physical ends the fight so as soon a Pierce tapped he should have let go and at the max he should have stopped cranking until the ref came in.

Why does the ref need to "assert" himself? Did Palhares not feel the tapping already and think to be aware of the ref?

The guy gave another big torque at the very end on purpose after the ref touched him. He did that on purpose, watch the replay again, it's obvious.

no it isn't and no he didn't - the pressure seemed consistent throughout -- you're engaging in pure speculation and creating a bs inference of malice that just isn't there or at the very least apparent

I think there's a difference between waiting for the ref to stop you when your opponent is covering up and you are punching him and holding a submission you clearly have locked in and your opponent is screaming in pain.

Not everything is black and white. Sometimes you can let go before the ref steps in if you know you have it locked in and your opponent is clearly finished

To me it looks like they roll over slightly, with the weight of the referee pushing them. Does not look like a crank.

Also, I agree with Godzilla. You can blame him for past indiscretions, but this fight with Pierce is blown way out of proportion. To me it looks as the following:

Pierce taps, Palhares holds, the ref jumps in while Palhares is looking downwards. He looks up and turns his head, notices the ref and lets go. All within a bit over a second. Meanwhile Pierce, according to himself, was not hurt or injured during the submission.

I conclude the backlash is overboard and peoples judgement are skewed in this case, because it's Palhares.

palhares simply assuming the miller fight was over was simply yet another example of how unstable he is in the cage. it doesn't support not letting him go. there was no reason for him to think the miller fight was over.

I do not believe that you watched the fight.

Back