*You don't need to use or know how to throw a kick in order to be the best fighter*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Kicks are expendable. Wrestling, boxing, good BJJ defense and some BJJ techniques as RNC are what you need to be as good as you could be as an MMA fighter.

¿Proof?

KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV and DANIEL CORMIER. Among the all-time goats.

You have never fought.

How dare you TS, DC's kicks are next level

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
You have a point

Fedor ruled the HW division for a decade and didn't kick that often. He showed some nice kicks in the Cro Cop fight (he'd been training with GG for that whole camp) but was mainly a boxer aside from that

You have never fought.
Have you? I've been in many street fights and kicks have never been a factor aside from the one time in elementary school when a kid kicked me in the balls because he was tired of getting fucked up trying to Box, lol.

I'm assuming based on your lack of a "Pro Fighter" tag above your name you aren't one so I imagine your fighting experience must be similar to mine but I apologise if that assumption is incorrect.

The 9-defense+ champions who are the 5 UFC GOAT contenders

GSP - good kicks
Jones - good kicks
Aldo - good kicks
DJ - good kicks
Anderson - good kicks

giphy.gif

Although tbf GSP's kicks only got good after his coaching session from Master Rogan

Last edited:
The single strongest strike in all of combat sport is ineffective?

SpecificMadeupCavy-size_restricted.gif

SimpleLimpIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif

WTF is going on here ?
I come on and see topics about Hunto fighting at 205, Ronda is actually making money and what in the mother of fuckwad is this ?

Last edited:
as long as it didn't diminish your other skills I don't see how adding another weapon
to your arsenal wouldn't automatically make you better

Khabib is a bad example because he mostly grapple and DC is a heavyweight... how many heavyweight can even throw a head kick without telegraphing it?

Last edited:
DC has some sneaky fast leg/body kicks that he throws occasionally.

His high kicks though...

Well you certainly need to know how to defend kicks. BJ Penn is also another great example he rarely threw a kick and was a great champion. But when he did kick against Diego Sanchez...

Having said that having kicks in your arsenal is not a bad thing. MMA is constantly evolving, there might be a time where kicking is absolutely necessary to win a fight. Fighters kicking game is very basic right now. There's a whole other level to kicks that we only tend to see in traditional martial arts. If MMA guys learn to incorporate this into their overall game it could end up being an extremely powerful weapon.

Alot of under utilised techniques such as the side kick. Can be more effective than a jab if done correctly. Think about it, it will hurt more than a punch and you can cover more range with a kick.

We started seeing guys like Conor use that front kick to the body very underrated and under utilised move. When guys learn to kick properly it will be as effective as boxing. Just we are still in an evolving sport that's in it's infancy.

You need a deep understanding of kicking range, kicking defense and kicking counters

If you have those, you can use boxing primarily like Conor and DC

The single strongest strike in all of combat sport is ineffective?

SpecificMadeupCavy-size_restricted.gif

SimpleLimpIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif

He didn't say it was ineffective, he said you can be very successful without learning that skill and provided strong examples as evidence that it is true

Well you certainly need to know how to defend kicks. BJ Penn is also another great example he rarely threw a kick and was a great champion. But when he did kick against Diego Sanchez...

Having said that having kicks in your arsenal is not a bad thing. MMA is constantly evolving, there might be a time where kicking is absolutely necessary to win a fight. Fighters kicking game is very basic right now. There's a whole other level to kicks that we only tend to see in traditional martial arts. If MMA guys learn to incorporate this into their overall game it could end up being an extremely powerful weapon.

Alot of under utilised techniques such as the side kick. Can be more effective than a jab if done correctly. Think about it, it will hurt more than a punch and you can cover more range with a kick.

We started seeing guys like Conor use that front kick to the body very underrated and under utilised move. When guys learn to kick properly it will be as effective as boxing. Just we are still in an evolving sport that's in it's infancy.
Current kicking game in UFC at the high level is not basic at all. Fighters like Thompson and tj are a good example of how modern MMA kicking work at the highest level. they're amazing at ending combination with either a high kick or a body/leg kick. Something we that we don't see at all back then and even now at the mid/low level. And in today MMA throwing kicks is riskier than ever, if you don't set it, something that you can easily get away with it back then. Another thing is that most elite modern MMA kickers like Tj don't just throw kicks like leg kick just to hurt people leg, they like to use leg kicks to set up for a head kick later(like tj vs Cody and Dc vs Jones). or masking a kick like a leg kicks for a head kick.
8lTs.gif

6f5056a34657a7617cecd8b5dc4b8abb.gif

Back