YOU ALL HAVE PUSSY HANDS! v2.0

Plus volume. At that level, your hands can take A LOT of reps. Same idea as squatting very frequently as a beginner. The program I did that took me from closing a 1.5 first try to a 2.5 in less than 3 months had me doing no less than 50 reps a day for 6 out of 10 days, up to 150 reps a day during the same time period. Get the reps in.

And learn how to set. A good set is invaluable.

How to set a gripper - YouTube

Slight revival.. I have pussy hands.

I've been crushing my CoC for between 1-2 months now. I started out with the Trainer, being able to close it for 2-3 reps and bought the #1 3 weeks ago. I finally closed it two weeks ago and last week I closed it for 3 reps on one day. But this week I'm having problems closing it, takes a massive amount of effort to even close it once.

My weekly workout plan:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday
2x12 on Trainer (I could crunch out a few more but it's more of a warmup at this point.. though the last 2 on the second set actually need some effort)
2x2 negatives on #1

I've read that negatives are really hard on the hands so I've kept them low. Is there anything I'm doing wrong or anything I should switch up? I feel like I've stalled/am overtraining or something, as going from 3 closes to barely one seems a bit.. awkward.

P.S. Not doing any lifting right now but will start SS in September. Should I work grippers onto gym days or keep them separate?

Some of the best gripper workouts I"ve had came right after (like literally 10 seconds after) good squat sets. Definitely work these in on regular gym days, your performance will improve.

If you're regressing I would do one of three things: deload, increase volume or change programming.

The volume you have right now isnt' very high (two sets of 12 I believe?). Instead of doing two sets of 12 with a gripper you can do 12 reps with, do 8 sets of 8 or something similar with that same gripper. Your hands are more or less equally fatigued by the end but you've gotten almost three times the volume in.

Im 260 now. Ive just added this goal to my short list, when im down at 200 lbs again:
""here

Thanks for bumping this.

Pinching plates with only the thumb/one finger is a good idea.

I've always been interested in grip strength, but I feel like power cleans are good enough for me for now, since I'm not low on grip strength.

Just got my grip strength from years and years of heavy deadlifts and rack pulls. Never used straps or gloves, never used hand lotion, can't remember the last time I had to even use chalk.

But the SECOND I feel like my grip strength is slacking? I'll DEFINITELY add in grip accessory work.

Also, I should mention that it helps to always use bars with smooth knurling. Makes the grip demands harder.

I don't lift any weight unless I can grip it.

It's a bit dated, because I wrote it when nobody on here really trained grip, but maybe some of ya'll can get something out of it, eh?
Carnal Salvation was last seen: May 27, 2010

Shame really.
Solid thread opener.

Odd Haugen has some of the best grip around.

Back