YOKKAO 10 and YOKKAO 11

other sources from Translation dictionary

Feringhee
from Persian 'Farangi'- فرنگی -: from the word Frankish: a person from Europe. The first encounter with Western Europe was during Charlemagne who was King of Franks. From that time the word Farangi means European, especially Western European. Also after the first Crusade this word appeared frequently in Persian and Arabic literature. (in Arabic as 'Faranji' because they could not pronounce /g/) . The Ottoman Turks pronounced it as Feringhee.[162]

i've been following this forum for the past years, and i started to believe that this "farang" words is really offensive. it started when US army is based on Thailand in vietnam war, so everybody knows what people meant when they say that and especially with history of Thailand being "almost" colonized by the Europeans. and Farang didn't meant foreigner its european ancestry specific. i've seen word that has less racial slur value and becoming racial slur.

Farang is anyone who has a european look.
Previously,it was used for calling Portuguese and France. At the time,there wasn't USA yet.

Farang is anyone who has a european look.
Previously,it was used for calling Portuguese and France. At the time,there wasn't USA yet.

maybe "started" is wrong word to uses. but you also prove my point that Farang is used specifically to European ancestry and not to other foreigner

and i also said it should be, and for me it is. but for some people it isn't which make me really upset sometimes
Your upset that people aren't upset. Wow.

Explain the negative connotation accociated with the word Farang and why we should all be offended...

Your upset that people aren't upset. Wow.

Explain the negative connotation accociated with the word Farang and why we should all be offended...

well looking at the history, we know what Thai people are "almost" colonized by the European, so who know what they meant when they used that words back then. and its specifically used to European Ancestry, and it created by Non European. second i see many words that are less than that have become racial slur and very insulting.

i can show you many sources that stated Farang is specific to European ancestry people. http://www.into-asia.com/thai_language/farang.php i have a friend from Thai that will tell you that too. and dont tell me malay people uses it, because i for sure know we dont use that words.

its has all the criteira to become racial slur, yet it isnt. well when you racially attacking caucasian, who the hell care right ? but don't you dare touch the illegal immigrant minorities

I didn't disagree that "farang" means "white person", I called you a moron for claiming its use started during the Vietnam War! :rolleyes:

Go brush up on your reading comprehension skills!

I didn't disagree that "farang" means "white person", I called you a moron for claiming its use started during the Vietnam War! :rolleyes:

Go brush up on your reading comprehension skills!

"ou're a moron. The etymological root of the Thai word "farang" comes from "farangi", the Persian word for "foreigner", a term brought to Siam in the 1500s by Persian traders (predating European arrival to Ayutthaya). Conjugates of the Persian word "farangi" are used all over the world, from Malaysia to Samoa. "Started during the Vietnam War" my ass, that's the stupidest theory I've ever heard. "

you didn't mentioned anything about Farang being European and you said Farangi mean foreigner which i prove you wrong

'Farangi'- فرنگی -: from the word Frankish: a person from Europe. The first encounter with Western Europe was during Charlemagne who was King of Franks. From that time the word Farangi means European, especially Western European. Also after the first Crusade this word appeared frequently in Persian and Arabic literature. (in Arabic as 'Faranji' because they could not pronounce /g/) . The Ottoman Turks pronounced it as Feringhee.[162]

and you also said Malaysian uses this word, and i prove you wrong again.

and also proves my point on how Farang is racial slur and it offensive.

and maybe started is wrong words, but according Edmund Roberts American diplomats. thats where it used the most.

Yes we know it's racial. Are we not of all different races?

That doesn't make it racist, or even a slur.

Get a clue...

well looking at the history, we know what Thai people are "almost" colonized by the European, so who know what they meant when they used that words back then. and its specifically used to European Ancestry, and it created by Non European. second i see many words that are less than that have become racial slur and very insulting.

in Thailand, anyone who's not Thai can be a farang, but it's generally used for anyone who's caucasian. That includes Americans.

shut up you bunch of falangs

I'm gonna call everybody a falang now except for kwankoadaddy and a couple of others

dunno what to call yodsanan though

in Thailand, anyone who's not Thai can be a farang, but it's generally used for anyone who's caucasian. That includes Americans.

everybody that's caucasian.....hmmm

so it does boil down to race.....kinda like saying the n-word without it referring to a history of slavery

more like referring to inferior fighters

that's how I read it very often on this board......falangs using the word falang to describe that they are less skilled then nak muay or to describe how they like to see falangs get a beating from nak muays

it just sounds so stupid coming from non-thai people :D :D

maybe "started" is wrong word to uses. but you also prove my point that Farang is used specifically to European ancestry and not to other foreigner

European ancestry? Every non-asian is called farang, even black people. And what do you mean by "almost colonized"?

Farang really means white devil. We're busted guys, time to move on with live.

Not sure what Brock trying to achieve here.
Farang was originally derived from the word "France" back in 16th 17th century.
So Thai call white dudes Farang, because there weren't many black dudes back then.
They did use the word for black dudes/Latino dudes too because there are no other term to call them
And it's not an insult, since being Americsn/European = rich/cool in Thai people's eyes.

nobody knows hat it means or where it comes from if Iread this thread.......some say it comes from 'france' others say it comes from persia....bla bla bla

go learn thai history properly you falangs

nobody knows hat it means or where it comes from if Iread this thread.......some say it comes from 'france' others say it comes from persia....bla bla bla

go learn thai history properly you falangs

You would suit perfectly as a swedish politician, they find racism in anything from chocolateface-cookies to saying Argentina is superior to Iran in football, kinda like you

You would suit perfectly as a swedish politician, they find racism in anything from chocolateface-cookies to saying Argentina is superior to Iran in football, kinda like you

say what???? where did I say it was racist?

I said it is stupid for a non-thai to address themselves as nak muay (wich they are not) and others and to call their fellow country men/caucausians falang....wich apperantly means something like foreigner (or not)

it's like white dudes from europe calling each other the n-word while listening to eminem

I never thought it was really that racist, just stupid

European ancestry? Every non-asian is called farang, even black people. And what do you mean by "almost colonized"?

Black people called Farang dam in Thailand CMIIW, and i believe i already show enough resources to show how Farang was used specifically to Caucasian

and Thai did not really get colonized, or at least not like Vietnam colonize.

Back