Yoga Poses

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by TheBathinApe, Oct 25, 2010.

1. TheBathinApe

TheBathinApe Yellow Belt

What are the most usefull yoga poses (in your opinion)? Im not looking for the type of yoga (Bikram, Vinyasa, etc). Im asking what yoga poses did you find most helpful with your grappling/striking? How long did you practice it? How exactly did it help you?

Basically Im just trying to get in better shape (flexibility,strength, etc.) Your welcome to provide any info even if you dont practice yoga.

2. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Just take a class.

3. TheBathinApe

TheBathinApe Yellow Belt

I've previously done yoga but I was very young then so I dont remember much. I did it for a little over three years. On top of that i dont have time rite now, i will go to a class later on when i get more time but that might take up to a year. I just want to get started now.

4. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Do you have cable or satellite? Many times there are tons of free yoga classes on there that you can do at home.

5. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Yoga's not going to help with your strength or conditioning in any meaningful way. What you should do for flexibility depends on where you need to improve mobility...although starting with hip mobility is a good bet, so: 7 Dynamic Stretches to Improve Your Hip Mobility | StrongLifts.com

6. MusclesMarinara

MusclesMarinara Friends with Bigfoot

Downward dog/ chararanga/ Upward dog

the toughest push up you'll ever do.

The warrior poses will also help with hip flexibility.

7. TheBathinApe

TheBathinApe Yellow Belt

Really? I've never seen any, but that may be because I live in Canada.

Yea I do other workouts for strength but i know yoga can help with some core strength and balance. Thanks for the link btw, it looks good.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  8. TheBathinApe

TheBathinApe Yellow Belt

Did you mean Chaturanga? Put together it looks like a hindu pushup.

Ill look into the warrior poses aswell.

9. scoopj

scoopj ackson

In order from best to worst...

1 Vinyasa
    2 etc
    3 Bikram
    4 Squats
    5 Milk

10. MusclesMarinara

yes Chaturanga and as you said the Hindu push up. I make sure I pause at top and bottom to get the stretch afforded by these positions.

I try to find ways to work yoga poses in to my calisthenics. I think its a great way to add flexibility into my conditioning routines.

One other that i like to do is move from back bend to push up. changing direction of rotation.

11. Seppuku Sam

Seppuku Sam Blue Belt

I have practiced yoga since about age 14.......the single best aspect of yoga that is most usefull for MMa is ........breath control.

12. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

On several occasions in yoga classes, I have had to do this 108 times consecutively without a break:

It took about one hour. About 30-40 in, I was dripping sweat, my arms were burning and felt like lead, my head was pounding. The first time I did it, it was one of the harder things, physically, I had ever done. It certainly felt like a very good conditioning exercise.

I concede that yoga as it is normally practised has at most minimal conditioning value, but there are flavours of yoga, such as the above, that are really not bad at all.

13. MusclesMarinara

Yoga Burpees FTW!

I don't know enough about yoga to speak intelligently on the subject. But I do know you can get an excellent workout from it if you apply the movements as if you were doing calisthenics.

I've also adapted several of my old Capoeira movements into calisthenic exercises. Between the two I feel as though I have improved control over my body when held in awkward positions. A critical element of rock climb. which is my sport of choice.

14. facedancer

facedancer Warning: ***hole

I like Rodney Yee's am yoga. He has a full day devoted to hips, which would be beneficial for bjj.