Yoel Romero does epic celebration after brutal KO win

Romero may have the worst Fight IQ and instincts of any top tier fighter. Watching him fight was maddening at times - there were so many times where it was obvious all he had to do was let his hands (or knees) go, but he would stand their passively, or even walk backwards into the cage. Costa was gassed in the third round of their fight and Romero was getting the upper hand... what did he do? Drop his hands, walk backwards into the cage, and then beckon Costa to come forward.

What's kind of crazy is that when you see he has 6 losses on his record, you would think that he began to slow as he aged. You could make a pretty compelling argument that he won many of those close fights (Whittaker 2, Costa, Adesanya, Davis). The only fights he lost clearly was the first fight with Rob, and the time he got knocked out prior to joining the UFC (in a fight he was dominating).

The fight Gods gave him all of the tools to be a GOAT, but he squandered it by fighting in a way that didn't make much sense.

I don’t know, sometimes making those adjustments isn’t possible based on your game and athletic gifts - he’s not a high volume fighter because he is so big and muscular, in the past he gasses and gets sloppy when the fight is a chaotic brawl (Calvacante/Brunson/Jacare) - he’d much rather fight at a measured pace and pick his spots knowing guys are scared to pressure because of wrestling/power.

You even admit he probably only lost the first fight to Rob plus the KO to in Strikeforce and the others were toss-ups so how bad is he doing really? I mean just look at the resume of guys he fought and the highlights he’s had, it’s a wonderful career despite the lack of a title and a few underwhelming performances (i.e. Izzy). Also he won the 3rd round vs Costa despite the antics, which are to buy time when gassed.

Every fighter’s style has flaws and his are low-volume/passivity to help him control his gas tank and the pace of the fight - it’s a strategic approach to give him the best chance of winning, if he goes crazy in the first maybe he’ll get a finish but then he’s at risk of losing the rest of the fight.

I think it's pretty ridiculous behaviour considering it was Manhoef's last fight. Manhoef is 46 and this was his 7th time being knocked out.

It's pretty ironic that the PBP threads can be in the Heavies but threads talking about it can't.

I remember when everybody in the UFC forum was a Yoel nuthugger.

Now almost every reply in this thread is haterism.
When they're no longer in the UFC most of the fans want nothing to do with them.

Romero may have the worst Fight IQ and instincts of any top tier fighter. Watching him fight was maddening at times - there were so many times where it was obvious all he had to do was let his hands (or knees) go, but he would stand their passively, or even walk backwards into the cage. Costa was gassed in the third round of their fight and Romero was getting the upper hand... what did he do? Drop his hands, walk backwards into the cage, and then beckon Costa to come forward.

What's kind of crazy is that when you see he has 6 losses on his record, you would think that he began to slow as he aged. You could make a pretty compelling argument that he won many of those close fights (Whittaker 2, Costa, Adesanya, Davis). The only fights he lost clearly was the first fight with Rob, and the time he got knocked out prior to joining the UFC (in a fight he was dominating).

The fight Gods gave him all of the tools to be a GOAT, but he squandered it by fighting in a way that didn't make much sense.
Davis? Just because it's a split doesn't mean he won that fight. I bet you didn't even watched that fight

It was an easy 30-27 for Davis (most media scores had 30-27 for Davis as well).

Yoel is a scary dude, but seems to be so inconsistent in his performances.

He has delivered some NDE inducing KO's though.

Nearly flying kneed Teh Chris' head clean off. Guys face was sagging for a long time after that.
Personally I think he looks like shit at 205 especially.

If this was a legit win and not elder abuse then maybe an over the top celebration like this could be justified.. yeah I know romero is old too but he’s still like 37ish in romero years… Melvin is like a fukkn hundred

Lol, I love the term "Romero Years".

I remember when everybody in the UFC forum was a Yoel nuthugger.

Now almost every reply in this thread is haterism.

You have to look at the full picture SHERDOG forums has been filled for the past 2 decades with UFC paid shills and their numerous accounts. If Yoel was still in UFC today the shills would've been praising Yoel's game plan. He would still be in top 5 or possibly be current UFC champion but he's in Bellator currently the UFC closest competitor the past few years so the shills must post the Bellator hate in order to get that paycheck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back