Yet Another Baby Dolphin Dies After Being Passed Around For Selfies on Argentinian Beach.

I’ve seen enough dolphins to know that you don’t just catch a one. It was most likely very sick and near dead when it was found, if I had to guess. Of course, that doesn’t generate as many clicks…

Perhaps. It might have been sick but maybe it could have survived if left alone. We don't know.

Perhaps. It might have been sick but maybe it could have survived if left alone. We don't know.

That’s the great thing about speculating, no proof to the contrary. But if it was sick enough to get caught by people on the beach, it wasn’t recovering. In reality, wild animals almost never recover once they show significant signs of illness.

This is why we can't have nice things

I honestly don't understand why everyone is so upset.

Sure a, probably sick, certainly abandoned young dolphin died, but does that really amount to much?

It's obviously careless behaviour which lacks in sympathy for the dolphin but most of us do far worse and don't even get selfies out of it!

I mean I ate 3 different animals today and didn't really even care about their lives or how they died, I mean I did kinda but I didn't try to ensure that.

I'm wearing leather shoes, a leather bracelet, watch strap and necklace and I have no idea as to the lives of the previous owners.

I do all this because I like the taste of or the look of dead animal. I can't really see it as that different!

I'm probably a monster, I apologise.

On the bright side, there are worse things you can be passed around by a gang for.

That’s the great thing about speculating, no proof to the contrary. But if it was sick enough to get caught by people on the beach, it wasn’t recovering. In reality, wild animals almost never recover once they show significant signs of illness.

Or it could have been used to people. I have lived around wild animals that have had so much human contact I think it is unhealthy. One place I lived the deer were so tame they would get hunted easily.

If you start leaving food out for wild animals at a specific time they animals learn the schedule. The mallard ducks learned the lunch schedule at one place I worked and lined up for leftovers as we finished lunch.

It might have been getting fed by people on the beach and became used to being touched by humans. We don't really know all the details on this but keeping out of the water didn't help it any.

one less rapey dolphin the rest of the dolphin community has to worry about

amirite?!?!?

Or it could have been used to people. I have lived around wild animals that have had so much human contact I think it is unhealthy. One place I lived the deer were so tame they would get hunted easily.

If you start leaving food out for wild animals at a specific time they animals learn the schedule. The mallard ducks learned the lunch schedule at one place I worked and lined up for leftovers as we finished lunch.

It might have been getting fed by people on the beach and became used to being touched by humans. We don't really know all the details on this but keeping out of the water didn't help it any.

That’s a very good point, and a good reason people should never feed animals. But that still doesn’t make it easy to catch one by hand. It would be extremely hard to hold onto a dolphin flopping around, nearly impossible.

That’s a very good point, and a good reason people should never feed animals. But that still doesn’t make it easy to catch one by hand. It would be extremely hard to hold onto a dolphin flopping around, nearly impossible.

Have you ever noodled for fish? A tame dolphin that size might not be so hard. In places where wild animals are being fed touching them isn't hard.

I don't believe in feeding wild animals since I think it puts them in danger. The problem it does not take long to teach some wild animals "you let me touch you you get fed".

Have you ever noodled for fish? A tame dolphin that size might not be so hard. In places where wild animals are being fed touching them isn't hard.

Never noodled, it’s illegal here. However, I’ve spent an enormous amount of time catching flathead catfish with rod and reel. I’ve handled hundreds of catfish from 10-80 lbs. The ONLY way you can hold them is to hold on to the bottom jaw, it’s like a handle. That’s how noodlers catch them, they get the catfish to bite them, then they grab onto their lower jaw. It’s impossible to hold the larger ones without holding onto that lower jaw. That’s why I question being able to hold onto a dolphin, there’s nothing to hold onto, and they’re slippery.

All those people taking selfies and not a looker in the bunch........

Never noodled, it’s illegal here. However, I’ve spent an enormous amount of time catching flathead catfish with rod and reel. I’ve handled hundreds of catfish from 10-80 lbs. The ONLY way you can hold them is to hold on to the bottom jaw, it’s like a handle. That’s how noodlers catch them, they get the catfish to bite them, then they grab onto their lower jaw. It’s impossible to hold the larger ones without holding onto that lower jaw. That’s why I question being able to hold onto a dolphin, there’s nothing to hold onto, and they’re slippery.

I have noodled and didn't need to do that.

We don't know what was going on with the dolphin but unless you know what your are doing and have a place to take an animal if it is sick or not should be left alone.

A dolphin tamed by human interaction could possibly allow itself to be picked up just like deer sometimes become that tame. If it was sick it might not recover but it also could. All sick or injured animals do not die from the problem.

They should have left the dolphin alone, we don't know what would have happened if left alone but taking it out of the water for long was definitely bad.

There is a difference between killing for food and killing for selfies, or for sport.
One is intentional and includes what is basically torture of the animals on an unprecedented scale. Can you guess which?

Back