Yesterday did my first ever bjj Session in a real bjj gym.

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
So i kinda have wanted to do it for 10 years or so. And i finaly got to join a bjj beginner class at bodø jiu jitsu.

We went into the class with a open mind and a very humble beginner attitude. Because that is what we are. I had a friend with me. He is a karate black belt with no bjj or judo experience.

But yeah.. it was super fun! Very cool to get the feeling of being brand new at a martial art again.

And all the guys there was super nice and friendly to get two total beginners to visit.

So yeah. The gym is just less then two hours drive from here. So i have just ordered my first ever gi online.

<GinJuice>

Nice man, enjoy the journey.

Last edited:
It can be super frustrating at first but stick with it.

IMO BJJ more so than striking is like a roller coster of a ride. Some days you feel awesome and some days you think you are getting worse. Overall though you will get better but the ride is filled with ups and downs. Just got to grind it out and embrace it.

Best advice I can give is get comfortable being uncomfortable.

Being a beginner at BJJ was so much fun because of how often catastrophic failures happened. I just remember (pathetically) trying an armbar from mount and how poorly it went.

Last edited:
Its so many steps to remember. And to even think about getting it to work in live rolling.. I got a loooong way to go. And i love it.

Only "bad" thing is that my left pinky hurts like hell. And i have no idea why.

I submitted a black belt and after that the dude stop being nice to me so i stop practicing BJJ.

am still a white belt but is not my fault that I obsessed for 3 months watching Eddie bravo tutorials.

Congrats on finding something that's about to take over your life. General advice: avoid getting a BJJ tattoo until at least purple belt.

Its so many steps to remember. And to even think about getting it to work in live rolling.. I got a loooong way to go. And i love it.

Congratulations! Enjoy the ride.

On the pinky in beginners, if you don't recall getting it jammed that can often be from deathgripping.

Just remember your ABC's.

Always Be Crossfacing.

Congrats on finding something that's about to take over your life. General advice: avoid getting a BJJ tattoo until at least purple belt.

Not gonna happen man. Striking will beforever in my heart.

So i kinda have wanted to do it for 10 years or so. And i finaly got to join a bjj beginner class at bodø jiu jitsu.

We went into the class with a open mind and a very humble beginner attitude. Because that is what we are. I had a friend with me. He is a karate black belt with no bjj or judo experience.

But yeah.. it was super fun! Very cool to get the feeling of being brand new at a martial art again.

And all the guys there was super nice and friendly to get two total beginners to visit.

So yeah. The gym is just less then two hours drive from here. So i have just ordered my first ever gi online.

<GinJuice>

Is that the closest gym to you?how often do you plan to go? I suggest getting the danahers escape and guard rentention dvd, and drill with your buddy if you cant make it there too often.

Is that the closest gym to you?how often do you plan to go? I suggest getting the danahers escape and guard rentention dvd, and drill with your buddy if you cant make it there too often.

Its the closest pure bjj gym yes

Remembering is the wrong word. To remember conjures the idea of consciously recalling something.

To execute a technique while rolling, your body must be capable of performing it automatically. If you're thinking about how to do it, it's too late.

Nice man. Grappling is super fun because you can go really hard without the brain damage.
Bjj is broken down into a ton of steps for every move, which makes it a very technical martial art.

To me the equivalent to learning Muay Thai is that it is a lot about form while bjj is a lot about doing every step correctly

Remembering is the wrong word. To remember conjures the idea of consciously recalling something.

To execute a technique while rolling, your body must be capable of performing it automatically. If you're thinking about how to do it, it's too late.

I know. Its the same for striking also.

Norway seems to be 20 years behind, congrats though

You got it wrong, it's the other way around. The norwegian vikings were 20 years ahead and decided to let the rest of the world catch up on them. Hansen destroyed the elite in Japan with both his knees and submissions while Einemo beat Roger Gracie in ADCC.

Now they just sit back waiting for worthy opponents.

- Congrats, Bro. But dont ask the mods to change your screen name for Frode Bjj . You will get a lot of people that misread two J's for one.o_O

That's great man. Enjoy the grind. Cross train when you can. Take in as much you can.

Back