Yes or No? Should the UFC sign on these SF fighters?

Still Holdin

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If you worked with Joe Silva and Dana and had an opinion on the following signings of Strikeforce fighters, who would you recommend and stay away from? (Half assed list of all potential UFC fighters from SF)

Heavyweight

• Daniel Cormier - Question is, does the UFC sign him at HW contract or offer him a more lucractive 205lb contract?
  • Josh Barnett - Will the UFC forget the fact that he almost shut them down on or after UFC 36 (Steriods) and he folded in the Final Affliction card with a positive test as well? Can he make it with the top 10 HW's?

Light Heavyweight

• Mike Kyle - 19-8-1 after losing to Mousassi, guy always steps up to fill in regardless and usually against top competition he either gets the KO or gets KO'd. I know he says "Retired" but probably just emotions aka BJ Penn.
  • OSP (Ovince St. Preux) - Big Althetic 205lb fighter, has potential.

Middleweight
  • Roger Gracie - Hasnt shown an evolved striking game, reminds me of a 2012 era Royce.
  • Adlan Amagov - Exciting fighter, fought Lawler on short notice I believe
  • Tim Kennedy
  • Lorenzo Larkin - Technically undefeated record and in SF

Welterweight

• Yancy Medeiros - Undeafeated Record
  • Trevor Smith
  • Nate Marquardt - Old Disputes
  • Jorge Santiago - Former UFC MW
  • Kazuo Misaki - Split win over Paul Daley, 2-0 in SF
  • Chris Spang
  • Jason High - 3-0 in SF

Cormier, Barnett, Mousasi, Rockhold, Jacare, Roger, Tarec, Nate, Melendez, Thomson.

If we can get those guys im happy.

Why not give everyone a shot at least on the facebook prelims they could still cut the guys if they lose their fight but I think Marquardts fight showed that there are still talented fighters we've maybe not seen yet

They should sign: HW's Corrmier and Josh
LHW: OSP (the division needs anyone with upside), Mousasi
MW: Jacare, Rockhold, Kennedy for sure. Roger and Larkin would be good.
WW: Nate, Saff, Woodley
LW: Gil, Thompson, Noons

Last edited:
Hes not under SF contract anymore, and part of me believes that if the UC invades Russia, he will make a guest appearance.

HW ok with, MW ok with , but whats this love for nate at WW? did you watch hes fight last night you know he lost right to a guy who only real skill was TDD and kicks? lol :icon_evil

Misaki retired. High and Spang have already signed with UFC.
UFC should also pick up Feijao (after his suspension over) and Guto Inocente.

Who I think they should bring in (not including guys that already have UFC deals like Cormier, Lawler etc.)

HW: Josh Barnett
LHW-Rafael Calvacante, Gegard Mousasi, Ovice St.Preux
MW:Luke Rockhold, Jacare Souza, Tim Kennedy, Adlan Amagov, Lorenz Larkin
WW:Nate Marquart, Tarec Safferdine, Chris Sprang, Jason High
LW: Gilbert Melendez, KJ Noons, Josh Thomson, Pat Healy, Jorge Masvidal, Ryan Couture

Guys I'm on the fence about:

Roger Gracie, Chris Sprang, Nashon Burrell, Quinn Mulhern, Billy Evangelista

I think these guys are talented but aren't ready for the big show.

HW ok with, MW ok with , but whats this love for nate at WW? did you watch hes fight last night you know he lost right to a guy who only real skill was TDD and kicks? lol :icon_evil

Yeah, Nate is so inconsistent. If I were Dana, I'd avoid him. He flakes, he roids and he's not nearly as "great" as he thinks.

I want Cormier, Barnett, Feijao, Mousasi, Jacare, Rockhold, Kennedy, Marquardt, Saffiedine, Masvidal, Melendez, Healy, Thomson and Noons to UFC. I guess they could also sign Staring, OSP and Kyle since HW and LHW don't have enough fighters at the moment.

If you worked with Joe Silva and Dana and had an opinion on the following signings of Strikeforce fighters, who would you recommend and stay away from? (Half assed list of all potential UFC fighters from SF)

Heavyweight

• Daniel Cormier - Question is, does the UFC sign him at HW contract or offer him a more lucractive 205lb contract?
  • Josh Barnett - Will the UFC forget the fact that he almost shut them down on or after UFC 36 (Steriods) and he folded in the Final Affliction card with a positive test as well? Can he make it with the top 10 HW's?

Light Heavyweight

• Mike Kyle - 19-8-1 after losing to Mousassi, guy always steps up to fill in regardless and usually against top competition he either gets the KO or gets KO'd. I know he says "Retired" but probably just emotions aka BJ Penn.
  • OSP (Ovince St. Preux) - Big Althetic 205lb fighter, has potential.

Middleweight
  • Roger Gracie - Hasnt shown an evolved striking game, reminds me of a 2012 era Royce.
  • Adlan Amagov - Exciting fighter, fought Lawler on short notice I believe
  • Tim Kennedy
  • Lorenzo Larkin - Technically undefeated record and in SF

Welterweight

• Yancy Medeiros - Undeafeated Record
  • Trevor Smith
  • Nate Marquardt - Old Disputes
  • Jorge Santiago - Former UFC MW
  • Kazuo Misaki - Split win over Paul Daley, 2-0 in SF
  • Chris Spang
  • Jason High - 3-0 in SF

You never know what Dana White might do with these Strikeforce fighters. I have read and heard that Bellator is going to try and sign a few as well. If I was in Dana's shoes I would give everyone at least one shot to get a UFC contract

Hes not under SF contract anymore, and part of me believes that if the UC invades Russia, he will make a guest appearance.

Cheers, was wondering what his situation was.

I hope they sign all those guys. They are certainly better than some guys the UFC has. But we all know the fighters go where they make the most money.

DC, Barnett, Sergei, Mousasi, Melendez, Jacare, Rockhold, Kennendy, Nate, Roger, Masvidal, Thomson & Aoki.

Posted this in the World forums the other day.

It seems like the winners of all of the final cards fights will earn themselves a spot in UFC. I can see them bring both Nate and Tarec over though.

This is who should be brought over.

LHW
OSP (6-1 Strikeforce, Cyrille Diabate, make it happen!)
Feijao (3-2 1 NC Strikeforce, he deserves to be in the mix. he can fight Matt Hammill or Brandon Vera)
Gian Villante (3-2 Strikeforce, 3-1 at LHW, Maldonado, Soszynski, Pokrajac, Kingsbury would all be suitable opponents)
Guto Inocente (1-0 Strikeforce, they could always use more LHWs, trains at Blackzilians and UFC seems to like bringing guys from big camps in. Could also fight one of the losing LHW veterans.)

MW
Luke Rockhold (9-1 Strikeforce, would love to see him fight Chris Weidman for a title shot if Bisping loses)
Lorenz Larkin (4-1 Strikeforce, put him against Francis Carmont for an awesome fight)
Adlan Amagov (3-1 Strikeforce, him fighting Alessio Sakara would be a great fight)

WW
Quinn Mulhern (3-1 Strikeforce, Aaron Simpson? Seth Baczynski?)
Jorge Santiago (2-0 Strikeforce, wouldn't mind seeing Mulhern vs. Santiago in a loser leaves fight in UFC. They were supposed to fight at Melendez vs. Healy)
Roger Bowling (4-3 Strikeforce, give him a shot against someone like Amir Sadollah or Josh Neer)
Jason High (3-0 Strikeforce, hasn't lost since getting cut by UFC. Signed the other day. Should fight someone like Matt Brown or Kyle Noke)
Chris Spang (1-1 Strikeforce, they just signed him. They always can use more Swedes. Maybe fight Stephen Thompson?)

LW
Gilbert Melendez (11-1 Strikeforce, should fight Ben Henderson for the title or fight Gray Maynard for a title fight)
Jorge Masvidal (5-1 Strikeforce, could fight Tim Means or Myles Jury for the right to be in the mix)
Josh Thomson (10-3 Strikeforce, shoe-in, would love to see him against Varner or Miller)
Matt Ricehouse (4-1 Strikeforce, either give him a shot against a low level guy (Joe Proctor) or falling veteran (Spencer Fisher) or put him on a season of TUF (rather not have LWs again though)

Fights already made:
WW: Tyron Woodley (8-1 Strikeforce) vs. Jay Hieron (UFC 156)
LW: Issac Vallie-Flagg (2-0 Strikeforce) vs. Yves Edwards (UFC 156)
LW: Bobby Green (4-1 Strikeforce) vs. Jacob Volkmann (UFC 156)
WW: Robbie Lawler (3-5 Strikeforce) vs. Josh Koscheck (UFC 157)
LW: Caros Fodor (5-1 Strikeforce) vs. Sam Stout (UFC 157)
FW: Mizuto Hirota (0-1 Strikeforce) vs. Rani Yahya (UFC on Fuel 8)
WW: Bobby Voelker (4-1 Strikeforce) vs. Patrick Cote (UFC 158)
WW: Jordan Mein (2-1 Strikeforce) vs. Dan Miller (UFC 158)

Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedines chances of UFC contract

Definitely:
Nate Marquardt (1-0 SF), Tarec Saffiedine(5-1 SF), Dan Cormier(7-0 SF), Gegard Mousasi (3-1-1 SF), Jacare Souza (6-1 SF)

Likely:Tim Kennedy (5-2 SF), Josh Barnett (2-1 SF), Pat Healy (6-1 SF), Ryan Couture (5-1 SF), Estevan Payan (1-0 SF), Roger Gracie (3-1 SF)

With a Win: Everyone else

34 fighters are included on this list. That's a lot of guys to fill up cards. I'm excited to see how this talent does against UFC talent.

I still think a fight between Josh Thomson vs. Varner, Miller, Lauzon, would all be fireworks.

Back