Years of Dog breeding

You're one of those people who hates cute dogs, I see.

Not at all. I love dogs, and I love cute dogs.

Those dogs are genetic dead ends. Bulldogs very literally can not reproduce normally.

Pugs have breathing problems and eye problems. People like you who think they look cute cause the perpetuation of their distorted looks by breeders, and cause unnecessary suffering to the dogs.

It's like seeing a picture of inbred King Charles 2 of Spain, with a tongue so large he couldn't even keep it in his mouth, and thinking "cute."

charles-ii-of-spain_mainstory1.jpg

Pugs and Bulldogs are the dog version of him.

Not at all. I love dogs, and I love cute dogs.

Those dogs are genetic dead ends. Bulldogs very literally can not reproduce normally.

Pugs have breathing problems and eye problems. People like you who think they look cute cause the perpetuation of their distorted looks by breeders, and cause unnecessary suffering to the dogs.

It's like seeing a picture of inbred King Charles 2 of Spain, with a tongue so large he couldn't even keep it in his mouth, and thinking "cute."

charles-ii-of-spain_mainstory1.jpg

Pugs and Bulldogs are the dog version of him.

They are what they are. I find them crazy cute. I'm not going to shun them because of the way they were bred.

This thread got me wondering why we don't have miniature or really big house cats.

This thread got me wondering why we don't have miniature or really big house cats.

Big house cat will probably kill you. Big difference trying to fight off a 40lb dog to a 40lb cat.

Also Cats are not fully domesticated like dogs. Cat won't take your shit like a dog.

The before picture of the boxer does not look like an actual boxer, more like an APBT/cane corso mix...

But yeah, purebreeding leads to disfiguration in the long run, as evidenced by the bull terrier example. British bull terrier - few years back i was thinking about getting this dog. Gave up due to numerous health problems. Dog can't walk more than a few yards before dropping to the ground. Screw that...

Get a mix, if you want a healthy dog. IF you want a dog to make money from breeding, and help continue the deterioration of a species, get a purebred.

well, if it wasn't for breeders all dogs would look the same, so some appreciation for them,

The before picture of the boxer does not look like an actual boxer, more like an APBT/cane corso mix...

But yeah, purebreeding leads to disfiguration in the long run, as evidenced by the bull terrier example. British bull terrier - few years back i was thinking about getting this dog. Gave up due to numerous health problems. Dog can't walk more than a few yards before dropping to the ground. Screw that...

Get a mix, if you want a healthy dog. IF you want a dog to make money from breeding, and help continue the deterioration of a species, get a purebred.

Than't such a generalization though. I agree with you that dogs being bred for novelty (excessively short, big, wrinkly, muscular, etc.) is ridiculous, but most dog breeds are bred for function, so to just lump them together and say "mix breeds are healthy, purebreds are not" isn't necessarily true.

There was a program about dogs on the Nature channel last night. It was pretty fascinating, tracing the genes of dogs to East Asia where they believe the first wolves were domesticated. Program also said dogs more than any other animal has learned to read the emotions of humans. Dogs were even given a role in humankind's development.

A second part is coming on I guess next week.

My first dog was a mix breed, half lab half border collie and was the healthiest, best looking dog I've ever laid eyes on. He had a really nice coat, didn't need much maintenance. Just overall a very strong healthy dog.

My Junk Yard dog rescue.....total pit "lab mix". AKA...."The Sweets"...aka Milton....apologize in advance for those that have seen me post these like twice a year...Ive always wanted a dogo though!!!

milt_upclose.jpg

MiltonBeach.jpg

mitl_beach_bay.jpg

MiltMtns1_zpsddffe39f.jpg

What a qt

Dayum, the Voldemort of dogs...

Shows what decades of inbreeding will do. Applies to humans, too. I tend to find the most beautiful people to be multiracial.

The Irish Wolfhound breed is completely fucked due to the post-reconstructed breed being essentially a show dog. Once one of the most stalwart sight hounds, known for such gameness they wouldn't just corner or bail wolves but actually run them down and kill them, now they struggle through an average 6 year lifespan with constant health issues and wouldn't last a second hunting wolves.

The Borzhoi in comparison still have a lot of good bloodlines bred for their work purpose, and as a breed are still in pretty good shape.

My Junk Yard dog rescue.....total pit "lab mix". AKA...."The Sweets"...aka Milton....apologize in advance for those that have seen me post these like twice a year...Ive always wanted a dogo though!!!

milt_upclose.jpg

MiltonBeach.jpg

mitl_beach_bay.jpg

MiltMtns1_zpsddffe39f.jpg

Handsome as faulk, brah.

I love the last picture. :icon_lol:

Back