Social Yearning for a past memory that does not exist...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Does this phenomena have a name?

What I mean is, going back to 20 years ago and re-creating your youth in a different way. Different friends, different social circle and relationship.

I ask because I am seeing people express this in social media due to the fact that we are in a new decade and usually during this time you have this period of recapping the previous decades.

Does this phenomena have a name?

What I mean is, going back to 20 years ago and re-creating your youth in a different way. Different friends, different social circle and relationship.

I ask because I am seeing people express this in social media due to the fact that we are in a new decade and usually during this time you have this period of recapping the previous decades.
Dont know the name however I have been told by my family I remember things very differently than what actually happened. Or things that didn't actually happen. So they say......

Everyone's memories are different from those that experienced the same events with them. That's because our memories are self-centered & we focus on totally different things than others do. What might be an all-important occurrence to one individual is incidental to another & what becomes indelible to one person may be totally forgotten by another. That's why people's memories of the same event are often completely different.

Everyone's memories are different from those that experienced the same events with them. That's because our memories are self-centered & we focus on totally different things than others do. What might be an all-important occurrence to one individual is incidental to another & what becomes indelible to one person may be totally forgotten by another. That's why people's memories of the same event are often completely different.
I remember my buddy being hospitalized all the time thinking he was fighting aliens and shit and that he was like the reincarnation of jesus, and thank god he was hospitalized because he was dangerous and got put in care before he hurt people he thought were aliens or something.. He remembers just being depressed, doesn't think he was "crazy", and thinks the people around him were all just overreacting hysterically.. It's crazy how different people can remember the same things, and how people can distort their own memories.

I remember my buddy being hospitalized all the time thinking he was fighting aliens and shit and that he was like the reincarnation of jesus, and thank god he was hospitalized because he was dangerous and got put in care before he hurt people he thought were aliens or something.. He remembers just being depressed, doesn't think he was "crazy", and thinks the people around him were all just overreacting hysterically.. It's crazy how different people can remember the same things, and how people can distort their own memories.

Yeah, it's amazing how much & how easily people can delude themselves. It's both amazing to witness & frightening too. Because those sorts of individuals are so damned convincing in their delusions that they can almost make you doubt your own recollections.

Yeah it gets real bad after you die

What you say is true and often times it is very noticeable in recollecting old tv shows and movies since unlike memory you can re watch it to confirm the scenes that a person may or may not remember it differently.

What I'm thinking about is thinking about the past and trying to change it in my head with a whole new set of different group of people. All while self aware of it being fabricated.

I know it falls in to the category of yearning since we yearn for a good future but I guess some folks yearn for a better past to keep themselves together better in spirit and health. I just remember it having a name.

it's called envy.

I have a buddy that recreated his childhood memories to his wife. She sees him as a person that never existed. He was a tall skinny goofy kid that got his ass kicked and was bullied daily. I watched him get spit on by explosive kids and told to walk home and tell his mom what he just had to do. He rode the bench on all sports teams. He never had a Girlfriend. He was scared a lot of the time because of where we lived.
But his wife thinks he was a sports star who was a Don Juan and loved his youth. It makes me mad sometimes, but not my business. I watched this dude cry after getting pummeled several times. His wife thinks he has never cried in his life lmao.

What you say is true and often times it is very noticeable in recollecting old tv shows and movies since unlike memory you can re watch it to confirm the scenes that a person may or may not remember it differently.

What I'm thinking about is thinking about the past and trying to change it in my head with a whole new set of different group of people. All while self aware of it being fabricated.

I know it falls in to the category of yearning since we yearn for a good future but I guess some folks yearn for a better past to keep themselves together better in spirit and health. I just remember it having a name.
Out of curiosity, why do you think you do this? What types of memories would you do this with?

I have a buddy that recreated his childhood memories to his wife. She sees him as a person that never existed. He was a tall skinny goofy kid that got his ass kicked and was bullied daily. I watched him get spit on by explosive kids and told to walk home and tell his mom what he just had to do. He rode the bench on all sports teams. He never had a Girlfriend. He was scared a lot of the time because of where we lived.
But his wife thinks he was a sports star who was a Don Juan and loved his youth. It makes me mad sometimes, but not my business. I watched this dude cry after getting pummeled several times. His wife thinks he has never cried in his life lmao.

Damn that's fucked up to fabricate. As an adult is he doing well for himself?

Out of curiosity, why do you think you do this? What types of memories would you do this with?

I don't know why because it's recent. But to explain it with logic I assume that it's a new decade and I am recapping former decades.

I assume my mind is sending some convoluted signal of warning for me to really get it together so there would be no need for memory revision. Of course a good memory revolves around good people and environment. This is a luxury that requires luck.

Damn that's fucked up to fabricate. As an adult is he doing well for himself?

I don't know why because it's recent. But to explain it with logic I assume that it's a new decade and I am recapping former decades.

I assume my mind is sending some convoluted signal of warning for me to really get it together so there would be no need for memory revision. Of course a good memory revolves around good people and environment. This is a luxury that requires luck.
It would seem like a coping mechanism of some sort, you think? Otherwise, why not relive the memory (whether it’s good or bad) as it happened?

Back