Year 2019. No elite boxer in MMA yet.

It's been more than 20 years, but no sign of elite boxers in MMA. Almost most major disciplines had someone who showed their effectiveness in MMA. The list is long.

Taekwondo - Pettis. Third dan
Shotokan Karate - Machida Third Dan
Kyokushin Karate - GSP Third Dan
Judo - Fedor Fourth dan.

Sports Sambo - Minakov Multiple time world champion
Combat Sambo Khabib Multiple time world champion

Freestyle wrestling - Romero - Multiple time world medalist
Folkstyle wrestling - Askren - Two time Hodge trophy winner
Grecoroman Wrestling Hendo - Two time Greco Roman Olympian

Kickboxing - Crocop Multiple time k-1 GP finalist, and GP winner
Muay Thai Anderson/Shogun? Probably lacks pure muay thai credentials
Kungfu(Sanda) Zabit European Champion
Kungfu(Wushu) Folayang World Bronze Medalist

I guess only ones you could argue to have the boxing backgrounds are..Maldonado and Sergei....obviously Sergei being better than Maldonado...prime sergei was a beast...asian games silver medalist in boxing after all...I mean the best was Nishijima I guess tho. Definiton of being thrown to the wolves tho. He was a world champ, but he had zero success in MMA....

People might say its the money but there are many out there and most dont get really paid that well at all even compared to minus a few top elites, and if you think about the popularity of boxing internationally, you would at least have found ONE....I mean GSP and Pettis is third dans but they probably havent achieved shit in their arts and there must be a lot of boxers whos at worst on par with their boxing expertise but where are they?

No elite MMA fighters doing well in boxing either.

What exactly is your point?

@JustOnce
Olympic medal>anything else
Lol at female MT

Lol being third in Russian behind two olympic and multiple time world medalists with 13 european championship betwren them>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> single female Judo Olympic brobze

Leg kicks and TDs just really fuck everything up these guys have worked for. No elite boxer is gonna cross-over for a pay cut and have to change their entire style of fighting to do so.
It would definitely be Interesting if one would be able to make an effective transition though. Learn kicks, jiujitsu, wrestling, etc.

Some of these elite boxers have been training since they could walk. At 20 years old, they're already monstrous. If one made the transition at that point successfully, could be very interesting.

Codys isnt the best boxer, but his style is literally 85% boxing.

You could say this pretty much about any style, but brilliant and talented people succeed throughout their lives by adapting.

Boxing money just too good.

Basically come to finances then.

Cause one could be brilliant and talented in a single discipline and not so much when everything is mixed together and the same for one that mixes it all up brilliantly but was never stellar in the single art. So not all talents in disciplines will have that extraordinary ability to crossover and succeed by adapting.

that will happen if MMA starts paying as well as boxing

High level wrestlers, judokas, etc have more of an incentive to change sports, as they don't get the same amount of money and mainstream attention as Boxers.

Conor is not an elite boxer or even close.

No point in coming to MMA if you are an elite boxer because you will be making 10x as much money boxing. Very simple really.

A average boxer is making 200k for a spot on a card that a UFC guy makes 20/20 on

High level wrestlers, judokas, etc have more of an incentive to change sports, as they don't get the same amount of money and mainstream attention as Boxers.

i have no idea about american wrestlers, but elite wrestlers in russia make good money and many of them dont try MMA because its not worth the risk aka money.

but yep ... you dont have many options as a wrestler.

Theres a reason why we saw guys like Werdum etc. back then.

@FlowchartRog imagin loma with 4oz gloves ... his hands would be even faster and he would need less energy for his powershots
<bball2>

dude is already fast as fuck

No doubt. Imagine the hand trapping and sneaking shots in behind gloves etc too. Opponents wouldn't know wtf was going on.

And combined with his wrestling ability, and amazing workrate and stamina, if only Uncle Dana would cough up enough cash.

<bball2>

Lomachenko is the best combat athlete right now and might try MMA ... but i doubt that.

You need WWE skills if you want to make any money in the UFC.

If they are elite then they are making far more cash boxing than they will in mma. Unless your idea of elite is different than most peoples.

Elite karate guys and judo players don't fill arenas and sell ppv's so they may switch to mma, same with wrestlers. Also, none of the people you have mentioned from other disciplines use just that skill, they cross train to do mma.

Don't kid yourself that boxing is not a useful skill in mma. Also consider that if someone has the drive and ability to be elite in one sport, they likely could be successful in a sport that is similar if they applied themselves to it. These boxing vs mma arguments are tired. Do you really think that a boxer would just try and using boxing only in mma? Really?

Why are there not more elite tennis players dominating badminton? Short answer is that they chose to dedicate themselves to tennis instead and there is a market for it.

i have no idea about american wrestlers, but elite wrestlers in russia make good money and many of them dont try MMA because its not worth the risk aka money.

but yep ... you dont have many options as a wrestler.

Theres a reason why we saw guys like Werdum etc. back then.
Yeah, it's different in Russia as wrestling is their sport and Putin personally endorses it. In America I don't think the pay is bad, but the grass is greener in MMA.

Back