Yahoo sports - UFC discredits the sport.

So you are saying MMA should be more like boxing? A clusterfuck of titles across half a dozen sanctioning bodies in like 30 weightclasses. Where fighters are protected and hand pick opponents giving fans a real interesting fight maybe once a year and an interesting cards are even more rare.

Being cut is the best thing to happen to Okami and Fitch because when UFC had them nobody gave half a shit about either one. Now they are the big fish in what ever small pond they go to not in the ocean surrounded by sharks.

This. Last week Okami had like 5 fans. Today he is the King of Sherdog and may be the most popular fighter in the history of MMA.

I would argue that Dana did him a huge favor.

yes, the solution to making mma more credible is to get rid of the ufc! watch the sport flourish!

is it you, Dana???

Why are you so blinded?

The point is not "get rid of the UFC".
But if a BUSINESS wants monopoly of a sport, they need to stop looking at PROFIT only, and look at what's best for the SPORT.

Why would you cut a TOP TALENT?
Unless he is a problem, there should be NO REASON for it.

Even more.

UFC can't even claim he was a problem, because if the guy is problematic but bring viewers, they will happily employ him. So again, this is simply MONEY.

And while I always conceded UFC is a BUSINESS, with MONEY as their ONLY objective, then they obviously will take a hit on the CREDIBILITY.

You are simply blind to the very fact that these are conflicting interests!

If you'd stop and think about it, you would understand that people who are AGAINST this cut, are looking for the credibility of the sport. not UFC's profit as an organization.

You need to stop. You sound dumber and dumber.

You compared him to Mir and AO. Both guys who are on LOSING their last fights.

Mir lost his last 3, AO his last 2.
Moreover, AO was supposed to be this #1 HW, and is probably paid as such.
Mir has been a top contender so many times, besides being ex-champ, that I am SURE he makes good money when he fights.

That is why both are in danger of being cut.

Okami is still on positive record EVEN when you try to pick his last 10 fights.

But 29-8 is still way better than 16-8 or 36-13... if you want to compare overall career-wise.

So even then you are wrong.

And just because you hate him, it doesn't make him a bad fighter. :redface:

Besides, even if I'd agree with your stupid points, he is still top 10 according to UFC's own ranking system.

If they want to make room for better fighters, than they should take the REAL underperformers. the BOTTOM of their own list. Then add the new guys, and if the new guys are better than Okami, they would push him further down. THEN you could cut him.

Not when he is on your own top 10

1) Okami is on a losing streak as well
2) Again since when does being in the top 10 mean that you can't be cut? The UFC felt Okami was no longer needed and released him. They didn't black ball him from ever fighting again and they even said he can come back in the future. What UFC have you been watching if you didn't realize that their top 10 rankings don't mean jack?

Meh, Dana White is going to give us the same spiel that he gave us after they cut Jon Fitch.

"He's a top ranked fighter right now, but he's on his way down, he's not on his way up. He's getting older" etc.

I don't even see how that applies to Fitch or Okami?

Fitch gets KO'd by a white Mike Tyson of the UFC than he wins a crazy Fight of the Night winning fight, than gets outgrappled by one of the biggest WW and one of the best if not the best grappler in UFC. then cut?

Okami goes on a 3 fight win streak then gets clipped by possibly the next big contender then cut?

Anderson doesn't lose for 7 years than avenges his only loss in the octagon. Gonna cut him in January Dana? Should make sense to you... somehow.

try making sense.

the ufc is the premier mma org. they are not a league like the nfl, and don't claim to be a league like the nfl.

now, i'm sure you won't be capable of processing this so you will instead respond by completely not addressing it again.

maybe your brain should start asking what makes sense for the ufc when trying to understand the things the ufc does. is it just more fun to simply get mad all the time instead?

maybe you should try a job there.... if you don;t already have one.

You are just too blind in a crusade to save UFC's name to understand what we are talking about.

Do you say shit this unbelievably stupid every day, or is it a special occasion and you're trying extra hard? I suggest thinking before you type. Pounding on the keyboard and hoping for the best isn't working out for you.

A team in the NFL isn't replaceable. The Jaguars are hopelessly awful this season. But what is the NFL going to replace the Jaguars with? An especially promising Arena Football team?

Not you fucking idiot.

That's because there is no NFL level entity in MMA, that is the higher level organization for a group of organizations. The UFC is its own team. It has its players. It just turns out that its players play against eachother instead of together. It is the direct employer of its players. Like I said, and I'll say it again in the vain hope that there's a break in your stupid storm and this message makes it through, the NFL does not employ any players. It does not choose the rosters. The teams do. The NFL simply sets up the games, dictates the rules, and assists with promotion. If you can find an organization in MMA that tells the MMA organizations what fights to make and what fighters to employ, and then helps to promote those fights, let the rest of us know.

Until then, your best bet is to shut the fuck up. You'll sound smarter that way.

Post of the day!

2) Again since when does being in the top 10 mean that you can't be cut? The UFC felt Okami was no longer needed and released him. They didn't black ball him from ever fighting again and they even said he can come back in the future. What UFC have you been watching if you didn't realize that their top 10 rankings don't mean jack?

1 fight losing streak? That shouldn't be called a streak, not even a skid. Especially after winning 3 in a row.

You need to stop. You sound dumber and dumber.

You compared him to Mir and AO. Both guys who are on LOSING their last fights.

Mir lost his last 3, AO his last 2.
Moreover, AO was supposed to be this #1 HW, and is probably paid as such.
Mir has been a top contender so many times, besides being ex-champ, that I am SURE he makes good money when he fights.

That is why both are in danger of being cut.

Okami is still on positive record EVEN when you try to pick his last 10 fights.

But 29-8 is still way better than 16-8 or 36-13... if you want to compare overall career-wise.

So even then you are wrong.

And just because you hate him, it doesn't make him a bad fighter. :redface:

Besides, even if I'd agree with your stupid points, he is still top 10 according to UFC's own ranking system.

If they want to make room for better fighters, than they should take the REAL underperformers. the BOTTOM of their own list. Then add the new guys, and if the new guys are better than Okami, they would push him further down. THEN you could cut him.

Not when he is on your own top 10
Mir has Done something Okami never has or will be able to do and that's win a UFC world title and interum world title. As for Ovreem his time is running short. But he also has the benefit of being an exciting fighter.

is it you, Dana???

Why are you so blinded?

The point is not "get rid of the UFC".
But if a BUSINESS wants monopoly of a sport, they need to stop looking at PROFIT only, and look at what's best for the SPORT.

Why would you cut a TOP TALENT?
Unless he is a problem, there should be NO REASON for it.

Even more.

UFC can't even claim he was a problem, because if the guy is problematic but bring viewers, they will happily employ him. So again, this is simply MONEY.

And while I always conceded UFC is a BUSINESS, with MONEY as their ONLY objective, then they obviously will take a hit on the CREDIBILITY.

You are simply blind to the very fact that these are conflicting interests!

If you'd stop and think about it, you would understand that people who are AGAINST this cut, are looking for the credibility of the sport. not UFC's profit as an organization.

He was a problem. He was a boring fighter that generated no $$$ and would never be the best in his weight class. So if the UFC is sport trying to find the best fighter in each weight class... they already knew Okami wasn't that.

LOL
1) Losing streak? 1 Fight dumbass.
Obviously not like AO or Mir like you tried to imply.

2) it doesn't. Unless the excuse is that he needed to be cut to make place for new fighters. if that was the case, they could have cut from the bottom, not the top.

This. Last week Okami had like 5 fans. Today he is the King of Sherdog and may be the most popular fighter in the history of MMA.

I can't stop laughing.

Mir has Done something Okami never has or will be able to do and that's win a UFC world title and interum world title. As for Ovreem his time is running short. But he also has the benefit of being an exciting fighter.

it matters little.
They are both as high in rankings as Okami.

And one of them will be on a 3 or 4 fights LOSING STREAK.

Being exciting (or not) should NOT be the reason to fire someone. This is highly subjective and the results are there to prove Okami gets the job done more often than not. UFC's own rankings further prove that.

it is akim to you getting a letter congratulating you to be the top producer on your firm, and the next day you are fired for no reason.

That is indeed what the UFC is doing.

You should cut people based on results in the octagon only. It should never be a popularity contest. The UFCs recent moves gives weight to the people saying UFC and MMA is not legitimate.

Its like the us open in tennis dont invite the guy thats 10th in the atp tanking because he's style of tennis is boring. Then the president come and say he has no chance to win the championship anyway and he's boring.

Do you say shit this unbelievably stupid every day, or is it a special occasion and you're trying extra hard? I suggest thinking before you type. Pounding on the keyboard and hoping for the best isn't working out for you.

Not you fucking idiot.

your best bet is to shut the fuck up. You'll sound smarter that way.

Pathetic.

LOL
1) Losing streak? 1 Fight dumbass.
Obviously not like AO or Mir like you tried to imply.

2) it doesn't. Unless the excuse is that he needed to be cut to make place for new fighters. if that was the case, they could have cut from the bottom, not the top.

I would argue the exact opposite. Many of the fighters at the bottom of the rankings are newcomers and should be given an opportunity to develop. Okami had plenty of time to "develop" and apparently the UFC thought that he had developed into a boring fighter that would serve no other purpose than a gatekeeper.

If Okami was a young fighter that I thought might develop into a future champ, I'd be with you, but that ain't Okami.

He got DESTROYED his last fight.. WTF does Yahoo know about MMA?? I could write 100x smarter MMA pieces than they do. UFC fighters get ranked high simply for being in the UFC, good for the UFC.. But aren't people smart enough to see through that crap a little?? I knew Fitch was pretty much done. Dana knew Fitch was pretty much done. Do any of YOU actually follow the fights? Fitch couldn't stop BJ Penn's wrestling game until he Penn'd (gassed) out. Okami couldn't take down Andy when it really mattered, and got blown out in striking by a B+ striker (with A+ ground) in Jakare. What.. In the H*ll.. Makes you all think Okami is so great?? How about this, anybody who gets destroyed in the first round in a non-title fight has a chance to be cut, it happens.. Especially when guys are high paid. My gawd. Okami? Really?

He was a problem. He was a boring fighter that generated no $$$ and would never be the best in his weight class. So if the UFC is sport trying to find the best fighter in each weight class... they already knew Okami wasn't that.

That's a very stupid post, I am sorry.

because you KNOW that neither will be Rich Franklin, but UFC did not cut him.
And like I said, if the UFC is trying to have only the best, they should either cut EVERYONE ELSE that is not the champ, or they should cut the dozens of fighters that are lower ranked than Okami. They have even LESS chance to become the champ.

I agree with the article.

You simply can't cut fighters that are legitimately ranked in the top 10 of fighters in YOUR organization... especially when they only lose to other top 10 fighters.

I understand keeping lower ranked fighters around if they are young or show future potential despite some early set backs.

But how many fighters are still in the UFC at 185lbs that should be cut before Okami? Belcher, Credeur, Dolloway, Uriah Hall, Ed Herman, Leben, Tom Lawlor, Bubba fuckin' Mcdaniel, Alessio Sakara... and yet you cut a perennial top 10 guy? Presumably because he's not entertaining enough?

Yea, that's bad for the sport, no doubt.

Back