XTrainer's Log: It's important to pack on mass.

Front squat only 10# behind your BS?? Hmmmm any video of you both FS and BS???

Also, congrats on the push-press PR.

X, I may have asked before but do you Olympic back squat ?

Front squat only 10# behind your BS?? Hmmmm any video of you both FS and BS???

Also, congrats on the push-press PR.

Nothing recent. But I do know that it has much more to do with me being terrible at back squats than me being any good at front squats. Back squats have just never felt "right" to me. Front squats do, though...I think they're a simpler movement and I'm probably a simple person...

X, I may have asked before but do you Olympic back squat ?

Not really. I definitely squat to full depth, not just to parallel, but I use a low bar position (and most of the mechanics that implies...at least I try to do so).

Today
Kind of a weird workout. Slight pec strain or something going on, so I didn't go that heavy (probably heavier than I should), so some of the sets were rather "off" where they should have been. But, after hitting a bench PR last week I wasn't planning on going that heavy again anyway, and I guess I got some decent volume work done.

Bench
135x7
185x3
225x2
255x2
275x3+F--Should definitely be good for 4-5.
275xUnsolicited spotter grab on 2nd or 3rd rep.
225x10--Solid set.
225x6
225x7
225x4--Wha...?
225x7
225x3+F (close grip)

Chins--High-volume benching cuts into these pretty bad.
BWx2
BWx22
BWx16
BWx12

Cable tricep things.

Curlz.

Today
Moved some decent weight.

Deadlifts
135x5
225x3
315x1
405x1
455x1
495x1
545x1
545x1
545x1

Squats
135xA bunch
185x3
225x3
275x2
300x1
325x1
355x1
385x1 5lb PR--not beautiful, but I've done much worse.
340x2

Will do some core work and probably swings.
EDIT: Core work was standing roll outs, volume kept low enough to avoid the disastrous DOMS I got last time. Then, 24kg one arm kettlebell swingsx80. Pretty tough set, after doing heavy lifting.

Have no idea what training (or life in general, really) will look like after Friday.

Last edited:
Today
Heck of a good workout to go out on. Won't be in this gym for several months, at least. Not sure where or when my next workout will take place, actually. Lot of stress today, but music helps a lot.

Push Press
95x5 strict+2 push
135x2+1
185x2
205x2
225x1
240x1
250x1
260xF
260x1 5lb PR--I'm coming for you, Oblivian! (kinda...)
230x3+F
230x2
230x2
230x2
(Maybe one more 230x2? Forgot paper log, going by memory)
185x4 (strict press)
135x13 (push press)+Lateral raises.

Chins
BWx10
+45lbsx2
+90x2
+135x1
+170x1 5lb PR
BWx23

Curlz.

*Dramatic salute to gym*

Congrats on the PR ! Jesus, every time I enter this log I type that.

Thanks, guys. Training over the past couple months or so has been really good, unfortunate to interrupt that with moving now, but, well...life.

Thanks, guys. Training over the past couple months or so has been really good, unfortunate to interrupt that with moving now, but, well...life.

Where are you moving to?

What's your best deadlift now, and how much do you currently weigh?

Today
Well, I've been in DC since Saturday and had not touched a barbell since Friday. It was less than a week off, but I felt really agitated about it...I was making some ridiculously good progress and was nowhere near needing a layoff. So much for the physical situation. Mentally, obviously, this whole thing has been extremely stressful, been very busy, still trying to get final housing arrangement done and such.

Anyway, I REALLY needed a workout, physically and mentally. Eventually tracked down an awesome gym--Oly platform, bumper plates, lots of racks, chains, kettlebells, etc. Not much rhyme or reason to my workout today, just needed to do things, I'll just note the highlights:

-268 power clean--6lb PR. Totally out of nowhere, haven't cleaned in 1-2 months, though I have gotten much stronger in that time.
-23 rep set of pull ups after a 15 rep set of pull ups.
-Kettlebell swings with a 100lb bell :D!
Also did some bench, curls, and a few front squats.

Waiting on belt, knee sleeves, and a few other odds and ends to be shipped from home.

Not sure what routine is going to look like for the next few months, depends on a few external factors I have yet to work out.

Today
Slightly more serious workout, but not much. A bit random. Still, some decent lifting. Can't wait for my lifting stuff to get here so I can start squatting and deadlifting heavy again.

Bench
135x6
185x2
225x2
255x1
280x1
300x1
300x1--Second rep stronger than first. May go for 310 next week!
225x10

Some kettlebell clean and (strict) presses, worked up to the 70lb bell. The next largest they have is the 100, couldn't strict press that.

A whole bunch of chins and pull ups. And dips.

100lb kettlebell swingsx20. I'm really digging this huge kettlebell. Didn't want to overdo it, though, probably going to clean again on Sunday.

A bunch more clean and presses, all with the 70lb bell.

Misc core work.

Cuban presses.

Today
Still not back into regular programming yet, but some good lifting getting done.

Power Cleans
I'm not sure about my work up, but I hit 275 (7lb PR) and then 280 (12lb PR). Very exciting. My main issue with power cleans has always been confidence, and with bumper plates, I don't worry about wrecking. Excited to see where I get with these over the next few months.

Front Squats
Not sure on exact weights (mix of pound and kilo plates, and I wasn't working seriously enough to be too particular about loading), but I worked into the low 300s. Still sans belt and knee sleeves, feels really weird.

Overhead squats
Mostly messing around, except when I dropped 155 from overhead onto my shin...does not feel good...

Pull Ups
BWx24--Rep PR, I think.
+Some L-sit pull ups.

100lb kettlebell swingsx25+clean and presses with the 70lb bell.

Various core stuff.

Yesterday
Went to a different gym with a friend yesterday. Extremely expensive and pristine gym. Also, easily the worst gym I've ever been in. So glad I have a different place. Had nothing particularly important that I wanted to get done yesterday, but I did some OHS with a sad excuse for a barbell in a sad excuse for floor space.

Today
Back in awesome gym. Not a great workout today, but I've had a lot going on, not really discouraged at all.

Bench
135x5
185x2
225x2
260x1
290x1--Not as fast as it should have been.
310xF--Lot of things could have caused this, more variables than constants lately. I'll get it soon.
285x2+F
285x1--Garbage on these two sets.
235x7
225x7
225x5
225x5

Lots of BW chins. Hopefully lifting stuff will get here next week and I can start loading them again.

Presses, light, a bunch, just because I haven't done much overhead work since moving. Felt really good, they have some very nice Oly barbells for this...can't wait to try cleaning with them, probably will put a few pounds on my already exploding power clean numbers.

Some shoulder work, curls, bit of core stuff.

Ok, I've been gone but I finally have internet and a moment to breathe. Important stuff that has happened in my S&C life over the past couple weeks:

-286lb power clean. Sweet.
-213lb press
-Re-injured left pec attempting 310 bench press. Not bad, but worse than last time. Still, if today's workout is any indication, I'm at about 90%+ capacity now.
-A couple weeks without my pull up/dip belt, and my BW pull up/chin/dip numbers have all improved from so much BW-only work.
-Missed a couple weeks of heavy squatting, front squatting, and deadlifting. Past few workouts seem to indicate that I haven't really lost any strength in those areas, but my awesome weekly deadlift progress did get interrupted. Hopefully I'll get 585 before the end of the month.
-Somehow managed to lose one of my Chucks in the move, so I'm pulling in my running shoes now:
Merrell Men's Trail Glove - Barefoot Trail Running Shoes - Merrell.com
I pulled 545-550-555 after failing 585, so I don't think switching shoes is going to be a real problem.
-Loving my new gym here.
-I've squeezed in a little grappling.
-I'm probably forgetting important stuff.

Today
Decent workout.

Bench--Still a little wary of pushing too hard w/the pec strain, or whatever it is.
135x6
185x2
225x2
250x2
275x3
275x2
280x2 (decided if I'm only going to get 2, I might as well go a bit heavier)
245x6
225x8
205xSome (close grip)

Chins--First weighted chins in almost a month.
BWx10
+45lbsx3
+90x3
+135x1
+145x1--Good enough for today. The bar is thicker, slipperier, and generally less hospitable than what I am used to, so I'm glad these felt OK.
+45x12

10:00 "Cindy"
5 Pull Ups (60)
10 Push Ups (120)
15 Squats (180)
x12 rounds. Not bad, considering it came after "real" lifting. Definitely saw some places where I could have saved time (not tallying my rounds, for example), so maybe I'll do that, and try pushing a little harder sometime when I'm fresh...it would be interesting to see how many rounds I could get (not that this was any picnic today, especially after deads and squats yesterday).

Curls.

My logging habits have been terrible lately. I'm not sure if this log is going to survive my increasingly busy life...but I had to pop in to say that I pulled 585 today. My first 6 plate deadlift!

Despite not logging, training has generally been going pretty well. 257 push press earlier this week, weighted chin/pull up numbers climbing steadily again, decent front squats (maybe a double PR?), will attempt back squat PR next week, pec injury probably almost healed...a quick and dirty summary of what's been going on.

Back