XPirate's Log (Strength)

Deadlifts
162.5 kg x5
162.5 kg x5
162.5 kg x3 (grip failed, but I don't know if I would've finished either, it was pretty hard)

Thick Bar Deadlifts
180lbs x I dunno...

So while I was deadlifting, I got into the habit of dropping the weight at the top. When I hang on to it, I get whiplash, so I either control it hardcore, or drop it. So I drop it. Supposedly you can get hurt putting it down too. Well, a guest made his appearance after my 2nd set. It was the manager of the gym. He said I couldn't drop the weights because "you could feel it all the way over there (points to his desk) and sometimes things drop in the pool." He said I have to lower it down more gently. I said that's how people get hurt. He said its the same kinetic chain. I told him it doesn't matter. He then said "so don't drop the weights okay?" to which I responded "No, its not okay." He said its in the rules....

Well after my workout I stopped by the desk and tried to argue. I really can't talk crap because I didn't stay and argue much. But he knows a lot about weightlifting. He's a professional. He can't deadlift 400lbs, but another trainer can, and that trainer lowers it in a controlled fashion. He started talking about literature, to which I pointed out literature says leg press are better than squats, squats are bad, and literature can prove anything. He said this was the policy made up by the higher ups, to which I responded the higher ups don't lift weights. I was a bit conservative. I asked him to show me someone who deadlifted over 400lbs who didn't drop the weight...I knew I should've said 500. 400's too easy...In the end, I didn't feel like arguing because I was hungry and tired (he wasn't though, he was on his chair...), and confirmed that all I had to do was lower it a bit more gently. It should be noted that last time I had on real plates and was lowering (not dropping) 315lbs, when he told me "those aren't bumper plates, that's what bumper plates are for". Which is why my deadlifts are now all in kilos...

Chrome and fern land sucks...I also tore my hand so there is blood on my sweat pants, but I wiped the blood on the bar off =).

Whats the issue with setting the weight down? I am sure many people on here set the weight down in a controlled fashion. As long as your not rounding setting it down you should be fine.

I have to agree, home-boy. Not to take those guys side, but from your description is sounds as if they were being reasonable. I want you to know in 20+ years in the gym I have seen only a handful of guys actually drop the weight from lockout...and every one of them was pretty much a douche-bag. You seem like a cool guy, and as your experience in the gym grows you'll find we all have to make adjustments in our routine from time to time...but you should probably not drop the weight anymore.

Yeah, a couple other guys also helped put it in perspective for me. It reminds me of Keith's article about training in a sub. No more dropping weights.

Sled Dragging
90lbs + sled (10lbs-45lbs)
1 min on/off
4 times

I wasn't gonna do anything thanks to my groin and shoulder being in recovery (I don't like saying they're injured), but my training partner wanted to sled drag, so he took the sled. I felt like a bad training partner because I didn't help him take the weights out or even be there, so halfway in his training session I joined in, sandals and all. We make each other strong as well as ourselves.

GM YouTube - GM 225lbs x3
225lbs x3 reps x2 sets
135lbs x5 reps

Bulgarian-ish (barbell) split squats
95lbs x10

Neutral Grip Pull-ups

Hise Surgs
225lbsx20

Good Mornings made my back feel weird, like an injury waiting to happen, I have to fix form and go down in weight...I just wanted to hit 225. Surgs were decent, haven't done them before, didn't know what to expect. BSS were hard as hell, I felt my heart rate sky rocket...and neutral chins, supposedly the strongest grip, were weak as hell. I guess that means I'm gaining weight...I need a scale.

I also worked on bench technique, so I did bar and 95lbs. I focused on staying tight, having weight on my traps, pulling in shoulders, driving heels to the floor, flexing butt, and bending the bar. All I can say is its really tough, but my shoulder didn't experience any pain!!! I'm gonna bench heavy this Sunday, 2 weeks for an injury is up.

For those who want to know what I did, light shoulder dislocations, using it as a stretch, pec streches, broom stick rotator cuff streches. I felt pain actually in my rear delt, so it might be a cuff injury, but when I mimic cuff motions there is no pain, but when I did band pull aparts, wham, no pain, but it was working the area where pain used to be.

You have alot of nagging injuries. Here's a little unsolicited advice...

Make the 2.5 and 5lb plates your friend. That's how you're going to get stronger and stay in this game the longest. Your rate of progression should be slow and steady. If you jump in large increments on a regular basis your body won't be able to adapt quickly enough...and besides failing at heavier weights or stalling, the greatest danger is the risk of injury. Give your connective tissue time to adapt by forcing yourself to add weight slowly.

It might seem silly to add 5's to each side of the squat bar, but your body will slowly adapt and those 5's will magically turn into 10's and then 25's...all without tearing your back and knees apart at the seams.

And assistance exercises are more productive in the moderate-high rep range. I think Good Mornings for heavy triples is just asking for a serious injury. There's nothing wrong with straight sets of 10 for your assistance stuff. When you can do 3-4 sets of 10, up the weight and start over with 3x6-8, adding just a rep or two total each session.

I enjoy your log and want to see you progress. Good job.

So it was a sort of disaster and yet a decent training day.

Foam Press
205x5
210x5

Overhead Press
105x3
110x3
115x3

Dips
4 +0 (fail)

Sit-Ups
55lbs x12 reps x3 sets

Some band pull aparts...

So I embarrassed myself by thinking I could rep 135 on OP, which i did last time, but didn't this time...I almost crushed my windpipe because I was thinking "C" and kept saying "back back back" to myself...and I wasn't a very good spotter to my bench partner either...

On the positive side, my shoulders are really, really sore, but not hurt. And before I could do a ton of dips with weight strapped on, so I gained weight, which is a good thing. I should be at 90kg, or above right now. Well, my lifts say not so much...in fact though my bench is exactly where is should be considering my subtotal.

Kroc Row
70lb DB x10
80lb DB x10
85lb DB x10

Front Squat
225lbs x3 x3

45* Hyper
25 reps

Some gripwork of 20kg plate deadlifts. My groin still was a little iffy, but I decided to front squat anyway. I really wanted to get 225 so I could prove to Justin they weren't that hard. They were, but I still did them. Big mistake. Really bad form, might have affected my back...I should've just done lunges.

My goal was to have a 1200lb total after only a year of lifting. That gives me 5-6 months (I started in June, but really Mayish) to go. If I can add 10lbs a month to my rep work, I'll be benchin 250, squatting 350, and deadlifting 410ish for reps, which might put me at a 4/3/5 gym lifts. It seems too ambitious. I might change it to a year and half. I really wanted it to be comp lifts, but that might be cutting it close.

I know 1200 is still really ambitious, but I am over 200lbs now, and I'm planning on getting to 100kg, plus, I recall someone said they are achievable if a trainee does everything right. I haven't done "everything right" but I still want to take the one year challenge. Oh, this comes with getting a 300lb overhead press by the end of my college time; about 3 years. Achievable? Maybe. I really believe I can hit those numbers safely, without serious injury.

One Legged Deadlifts
135lbsx5
155lbsx5
165lbsx5

Bulgarian DB Split Squats
100lbs x5 reps x2 sets

Rotator cuff stuff, light as hell DB bench press, overhead presses, rows, YWTLs, face pulls.

Grip Work
Plate Pinches 78lbs x10s x3 times
Wrist Curls + Reverse Wrist Curls

Foam Rolling

So I thought I re-injured my groin, or got a hernia right after my split squats...I foam rolled, and as I'm writing this I feel better (nothing serious). I've been icing my shoulder, and it feels much better. However, heavy face pulls hurt. I think i hurt my supraspinatus/rotator cuff, because side shoulder flys hurt on the way down. I also put Grip work in bold, because its something I'm going to take seriously now. It will be my deload/injury work. I have finals in 10 days, so I can't go heavy and use up my energy recovering, so grip work/rehab will fit perfectly along with some sled dragging. Onwards to tearing a phone book in half!!!

Sled Dragging yesterday and grip work today.

2 hand pinches
finger curls
wrist curls
reverse wrist curls

Back