Xmas drinking guide - How to drink whiskey like a sir

From what I've always understood about sour mash is that it was not so much utilized to effect or cause a specific flavor profile but to make whiskies that are consistent from batch to batch.

this point here, it does cause a certain profile which I'm sure many will recognise... The "creme brulee" mouthfeel, which small distillers and home distillers actually go to the lengths of inducing lactobacillic fermentations (as you will well know, a risky gamble in low beers for distillation) in order to attempt to replicate...

In small batch, I feel the lacto actually comes across better - certainly in pure corn whiskey, for example.

Tampons-generic.jpg

I don't like the stuff. Worst hangovers and non enjoyable flavour. Give me vodka and beer any day.

Timely thread. I was just wondering whether to get a bottle of Chivas or Johnnie Walker in for Xmas.

Redbreast was never anything stand out to myself. I have some pretty tight sources for good bottlings, unless we met and shared a few drams I couldn't say whether the Japanese I've had was the same as what you've had but I thought the character particularly Japanese in a certain sense. Refer back to my above comments on it. The Australian/Kiwi one was something by the name of... Thomason's or Thompson's IIRC... There are a few different expressions of it but the 21yo was the one I found quite palatable. Another quite cheap drop.

Are you running a small craft distillery type thing? It's possible we may know a few people in common, then. Small world.

While it's not a legal requirement, very few people are drinking sweet mashed bourbon on the regular. The vast majority of product on the market is sour mashed, and as indicated I believe it has at least partially something to do with what I mentioned already. I do certainly agree with the consistency aspect you bring up though.
Always interesting to note what speaks to different folks. As you said, a dram for every man. Looking for the 21 now. I've been rather neglectful of those outside The Isles and Murica.

That I am sir. I know a lot of people in this business, brand owners, distributers, brand developers and the like so I don't doubt it. Do you post on any of the forums?

Always interesting to note what speaks to different folks. As you said, a dram for every man. Looking for the 21 now. I've been rather neglectful of those outside The Isles and Murica.

That I am sir. I know a lot of people in this business, brand owners, distributers, brand developers and the like so I don't doubt it. Do you post on any of the forums?

I'm not very active on ADI or anything. I'll PM you the main name I was thinking of though.

this point here, it does cause a certain profile which I'm sure many will recognise... The "creme brulee" mouthfeel, which small distillers and home distillers actually go to the lengths of inducing lactobacillic fermentations (as you will well know, a risky gamble in low beers for distillation) in order to attempt to replicate...

In small batch, I feel the lacto actually comes across better - certainly in pure corn whiskey, for example.
Makes sense. Corn is chemically much different than the other grains. I've always associated mouthfeel with fatty acids and sour mash would increse these compounds. Unless I misunderstand.

Makes sense. Corn is chemically much different than the other grains. I've always associated mouthfeel with fatty acids and sour mash would increse these compounds. Unless I misunderstand.

Sour mashing with any grain will produce that mouthfeel. However, now we get into my wee speculatory realm... Think of the oily mouthfeel of a long finishing single malt. There we are. Not the same. But similar. It's not drastically different chemically, although it does hold the highest potential sugar content (in starches of course but cooked and mashed it does) which is a huge reason why it's a required 51% of the grain bill in a bourbon. The main part where corn differs is if you're going to malt it, and, well... Fuck all people do that. I've done it... but then again I've made whisk(e)y out of pretty much anything that can be done, because I'm just like that. Burnt out one or two boilers on the way too lol.

A lot of grain whiskeys rely on sour mashing to produce decent flavour as well. When's the last time you had sweet mashed pure corn whiskey, for example. But once we're into third, fourth, tenth, eleventh batch sour mash it's a very nice product with great character. Consistency is a great result from sour mashing but absolutely not the be all and end all.

I'm very drunk at this point though... So I don't know how much more I can carry this on. But keep posting and I'll rant gibebrish, then correct it after I sleep on the plane lol.

Sour mashing with any grain will produce that mouthfeel. However, now we get into my wee speculatory realm... Think of the oily mouthfeel of a long finishing single malt. There we are. Not the same. But similar. It's not drastically different chemically, although it does hold the highest potential sugar content (in starches of course but cooked and mashed it does) which is a huge reason why it's a required 51% of the grain bill in a bourbon. The main part where corn differs is if you're going to malt it, and, well... Fuck all people do that. I've done it... but then again I've made whisk(e)y out of pretty much anything that can be done, because I'm just like that. Burnt out one or two boilers on the way too lol.

A lot of grain whiskeys rely on sour mashing to produce decent flavour as well. When's the last time you had sweet mashed pure corn whiskey, for example. But once we're into third, fourth, tenth, eleventh batch sour mash it's a very nice product with great character. Consistency is a great result from sour mashing but absolutely not the be all and end all.

I'm very drunk at this point though... So I don't know how much more I can carry this on. But keep posting and I'll rant gibebrish, then correct it after I sleep on the plane lol.
Now you've got my brain not jogging but sprinting! Oily, like Cognac. I think you've connected some dots for me. At the very least I will brush up on my chemistry. ;) Do you have a preference for pot or column?

No no! I've learned from our chat and you got me through my Barolo. Cheers! <cheer>

Is it true about the water? I've never been able to enjoy sipping whiskey, because I just never liked liquor straight, unless I was doing shots. That's why I just do a vodka mixer mainly.

I have a bunch of friends that are supposed connesuiers, but they basically pour it in a tumbler with a couple ice cubes. Does smelling it like a wine and all that other crap enhance the experience?

I don't like ice cubes in my whiskey at all, the coldness dulls the flavour. Just pour a bit of water in (how much depends on the whiskey itself and personal preference) and it really opens up the flavour. Good whiskey bars will have little water jugs available for you to use. And yes the smell is another great thing about quality whiskeys.

Fun fact: had about 500 ml of bulleit bourbon last night over a 4-5 hour period and woke up this morning fresh as a spring chicken. No hangover and just a touch of a sour stomach. It's a Christmas miracle I tell ya.

Just opened a bottle of Talisker storm. I think the peatieness is smoothed and the flavour really opens up. First time in a while I've had something so interesting.

Wife just got me a bottle of balvenies double wood 12 years, I can barely wait to try it

No you don't. Fuck you and your agave suckin ass.

Dude, relax.

There's plenty of good tequila and mezcal spirits, not as established or aged as scotch, but good nonetheless.

Try a good añejo tequila and report back.

Blended whisky was considered the finest whiskey until recent decades. Making a great blend was a highly praised skill. The single malt thing is a recent fashion.

Those who know don't let fashion rule their enjoyment but try what's good.
I get what you're saying. I started off drinking blended scotch and have had a few Japanese blends fairly recently. However, I feel like the whiskey gets homogenized and loses some of its character when it's blended.

Without question making a good blended whiskey is an art, but as you stated yourself, that's not really the focus of the industry these days as consumers gravitate to single malts. I haven't had a blended whiskey that matches up to the best single malts out there. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, as I'm always in search of a new favorite.

Back