XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS Reboot in the Works at NBC

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Dragonlordxxxxx

Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Update: February 23, 2016

XENA Reboot Will Feature New Cast, New Costumes and Serialized Story

[​IMG]

In an iO9 interview with new Xena: Warrior Princess reboot showrunner Grillo-Marxuach , a lot of new information about the reimagined TV show emerged.

“One big thing is that we are telling a much more serialized story than the show ever tackled. So formally we are already treading some very different ground – and while the characters will occupy roughly the same thematic spaces they did in the original, some of their backstories will be changed, and some of their morality will be tweaked so that we can tell a long-arcing story in which every episode leads directly into the next. It’s a delicate balancing act.”

“A great deal of the appeal of the show lies in certain pulpy elements – like Gabrielle’s bare midriff, Xena’s leather miniskirt, Callisto’s amazing and gravity-defying… well, you get it. And it’s hard for me in the post-Brienne of Tarth era to reconcile with the idea that Xena and her friends can meet every challenge in such skimpy outfits. I think we are going to have some very lengthy discussions about how to bring those elements into the present day without missing the boat on what makes Xena exactly what she is; and how to have our cake and eat it too.”

“…Lucy Lawless and Renee O’Connor are not going to be Xena and Gabrielle. That already has a lot of people in an uproar. The question of reboot vs. revival is a very relevant now that The X-Files has been revived with the original cast, and so has Star Wars… and because the die hard fans want to see their beloved actors in the role. And look, I love these actors in these roles as much as I love William Shatner as Kirk, Sean Connery as Bond, and Lynda Carter as Diana Prince – so why does this need to be a reboot and not a continuation?

“The answer for me is that the reboot is not a repudiation of the classic show, but rather a compliment to it. I want for Xena to be a cultural icon for longer than my tenure in the entertainment industry, or that of anyone else involved with the project. If, in some far future, people assume that Xena is a character from the greek mythological pantheon alongside Hercules, and that’s why so many people have played her over so many years? That right there would be success.”

‘Xena: Warrior Princess’ Reboot Showrunner on Recasting, Rethinking the Skimpy Costumes

Update: December 14, 2015

XENA Reboot Finds Writer in LOST Alum Javier Grillo-Marxuach

[​IMG]

NBC is moving forward with its Xena: Warrior Princess reboot. The network has tapped Lost alum Javier Grillo-Marxuach to pen the script for the project, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Grillo-Marxuach, who was part of the Emmy-winning drama win for Lost in 2004, will exec produce the Xena reboot alongside co-creator Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi, who will oversee the NBC International Television Studios entry via their Ghost House Pictures banner.

Sources tell THR that the reboot will follow a new, modern Xena, with the lead actress needing to have the charisma and charm of original star Lucy Lawless and the smarts of The Hunger Games' Katniss as producers are said to be looking for a sophisticated and smart superhero for a new generation. The potential series is being eyed for 2016. Lawless, who is married to Tapert, is not currently involved in the NBC reboot.

Xena was created by John Schulian and Tapert and produced by Tapert, Sam Raimi and actor Bruce Campbell's Renaissance Pictures, Studios USA and Universal Television, the latter of which distributed the series in more than 108 countries around the globe. The drama was a cult favorite and ratings hit, ranking in the top five syndicated programs during each of its six seasons.

‘Xena: Warrior Princess’ Reboot Taps ‘Lost’ Javier Grillo-Marxuach to Write Script

Update: July 20, 2015

XENA: WARRIOR PRINCESS Reboot in the Works at NBC

[​IMG]

Twenty years after it first premiered as a Hercules spinoff, Xena: Warrior Princess could be returning to television. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that NBC and NBC Universal International are prepping a reboot of the beloved Lucy Lawless action-adventure drama. The drama is in the extremely early development stages and a search for a writer is currently underway. Original executive producers Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi are also involved in the project, which is considered to be a "modern reboot."

It's unclear what, if any, role original star Lawless would have, though sources tell THR that insiders would like the original star to have both a role on screen and behind the scenes. The drama is eyed for 2016. It's too early to know if Xena 2.0 would be a limited 13-episode run similar to Fox's revived 24 or a more standard full-season order. Insiders say the hope is for the new Xena to be an ongoing (read renewable) series.

Sources say the new Xena would have to have the charisma and charm of Lawless and the smarts of The Hunger Games' Katniss as producers are said to be looking for a sophisticated and smart superhero for a new generation.

An extension of the Xena franchise comes as Lawless recently signed on to co-star in Starz's Evil Dead sequel Ash vs. Evil Dead, reuniting her with Xena — and Spartacus — alums Raimi and Tapert.

[/URL]
    'Xena: Warrior Princess' Reboot in the Works at NBC and Sam Raimi (Exclusive)

2. Dragonlordxxxxx

Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Update: Sources confirm to THR that there is still in fact a deal in place for NBC to reboot Xena. Lawless, as THR originally reported, does not have a deal though sources indicate NBC would like her to be involved. As of press time, Tapert and Raimi are the only ones attached to the NBC reboot, which is still in the early development stages.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/lucy-lawless-xena-reboot-i-812478

3. Morning Star

Morning Star Red Belt

Aw man. Thanks for the update Dragonlord.

I saw some cartoon drawing of Xena a few months back. I was thinking now that Lucy is a little bit up there in age that Xena could still be viable but maybe more so as an animated show. I'd watch for sure. I loved Hercules and Xena.

4. Thai Otoshi

Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

If they redid Xena (btw I really wish you didn't get my hopes up only to dash them shortly after), sadly Lucy Lawless couldn't pull it off. They'd have to find a new actress to play her and Gabrielle.

If only there was someone ITT who was known for fantasy castings...

Also throw in Atalanta! I had the biggest crush on her as a kid.

5. Bacco

Bacco Silver Belt

6. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

7. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

Damn, I loved watching Xena as a kid. The implied lesbianism was riveting! Both Xena and Hercules had some goat guest characters like Joxer the Mighty and Bruce Campbell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aphrodite was also prime mastabatory material

8. ufcfan4

ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Without getting too graphic, I often watched Xena in the privacy of my own room as a youngster.
    Reboot would be cool I think but again, you'd have to cast someone good cause Lawless is thoroughly associated with the role.

9. Cayenne

Cayenne Green Belt

I was too young when Xena was originally airing, watching a reboot would be interesting though.

10. MMouse

MMouse Now you enter...the shredder Banned

Xena is not happening because Lucy lawless is to busy getting pounded by crixus 😂

11. Francis Rossi

Francis Rossi Here's a song for ya

12. Francis Rossi

[​IMG]

13. A.A. Riggs

A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

Caviezel's gone on record about how playing Jesus ruined his career, although I'm not sure if he actually means working with Mel Gibson.

14. Francis Rossi

Yeah, he struggled to get good roles for a while, although I can't get why that happened. The Last Temptation of Christ didn't seem to do any damage to Willem Dafoe's career.

15. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

It probably has more to do with his overinflated ego. He highhandedly ran Andromeda into the ground when he took the show over and made it all about his character.

I remember seeing him on the autograph hall in Dragon*Con years ago and you would not believe the look on his face when he saw that there were no lines for him. I could've sworn he gave Edward James Olmos the stink-eye (the line for Olmos' autographs was at least 40 people long and he was charging US$60 a pop to boot)

16. Francis Rossi

Yeah, ego's probably it. Nothing worse than a has-been bitter that success has gone. No wonder "reality" shows have little difficulty getting people on.

17. JadeOwl

JadeOwl Brown Belt

Yeah, blaming it on his politics and/or religious beliefs is a poor excuse. As long as he never tried to pull a Kirk Cameron, I don't think the producers would care.

18. Francis Rossi

Aye, it's a weak excuse. You act like a dick, people stop wanting to work with you. Mickey Rourke and Val Kilmer both know that one.

19. Thai Otoshi

Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

It is absolutely disheartening to learn that Kevin Sorbo is a twat. I had no idea. I guess now I know I never really saw him after Hercules and Andromeda.

20. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

LOL!

I think all of us at that age when it was airing did...