Xbox Official Xbox Series X thread

I’m confused on this since I’m a new PC owner... Why would anyone get an Xbox when they could get a PC was performs much better than Xbox and plays all of the Xbox exclusives?
I understand why someone will get a PS5 considering the exclusives can’t be obtained anywhere else, like bloodborne for example, but what’s the appeal behind getting an Xbox?
Aside from what's already been mentioned, there's also not having to contend with GPU/PSU/whatever shortages. The XSX is a good piece of hardware for the price.

Aside from what's already been mentioned, there's also not having to contend with GPU/PSU/whatever shortages. The XSX is a good piece of hardware for the price.
Just curious, what is the PS5/Xbox series Technology equivalent to in PC hardware?

At what point in time was PC technology at the standard that the current console technology is today?

I’m confused on this since I’m a new PC owner... Why would anyone get an Xbox when they could get a PC was performs much better than Xbox and plays all of the Xbox exclusives?
I understand why someone will get a PS5 considering the exclusives can’t be obtained anywhere else, like bloodborne for example, but what’s the appeal behind getting an Xbox?

Price. It’s much easier for me to get away with buying a Series X than a PC without catching flack from my wife.

From what I read a XSX PC equivalent build would be around $1500 and that's without a controller and a UHD drive.

Just curious, what is the PS5/Xbox series Technology equivalent to in PC hardware?

At what point in time was PC technology at the standard that the current console technology is today?
I seem to recall that the GPU is somewhat weaker than a 2080S, but the CPU might actually be better than PCs that are a couple of years old depending on how the CPU is utilized. I've got a 9700k, so my clock speeds are higher, but I don't get hyperthreading.

Here's a recent video LTT did:

I seem to recall that the GPU is somewhat weaker than a 2080S, but the CPU might actually be better than PCs that are a couple of years old depending on how the CPU is utilized. I've got a 9700k, so my clock speeds are higher, but I don't get hyperthreading.

Here's a recent video LTT did:

Jesus... The guy linked some of the hardware there and the 2070 is going for like $1600 right now. That wold put the build in that video at $2,830 from what I added up; and that's without a UHD drive or any peripherals. I would really like to do a build for VR, but these prices are bat-shit right now.

Right now I'm rocking a Xbox One X and an Oculus Quest 2, and while they are pretty cool It kind of kills me to know that I can do better right now if that makes any sense. I've been in a bit of retro game phase these days anyway. I picked up one of those Super Console X's for like a $90 that come with 40,000 games installed.

Last edited:
Jesus... The guy linked some of the hardware there and the 2070 is going for like $1600 right now. That wold put the build in that video at $2830 from what I added up; and that's without a UHD drive or any peripherals. I would really like to do a build for VR, but these prices are bat-shit right now.

Right now I'm rocking a Xbox One X and an Oculus Quest 2, and while they are pretty cool It kind of kills me to know that I can do better right now if that makes any sense. I've been in a bit of retro game phase these days anyway. I picked up one of those Super Console X's for like a $90 that come with 40,000 games installed.

I'm definitely not bothering with a 30 series card at this point unless Nvidia plans on doing a Super lineup again. Also, depending on how power hungry their future cards are, it might make more sense for me to just do another build altogether as I'm already at the minimum recommended wattage for a 3080 (though the max power draw HWinfo reports from my UPS is only around 400).

Keywords so I can find this post more easily with a search later if necessary:
Xbox Series X XSX PS5 equivalent analogue mimic

Eurogamer / Digital Foundry: We built a 'next-gen' Zen 2/Navi-based PC - how much faster is it than current-gen consoles?
This is what Asus decided ought to perform roughly equally to the PS5. Eurogamer and Digital Foundry usually afford ~30% processing power overhead to their mimic PC in order to acknowledge the advantage in optimization the console versions of games are afforded.
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X with Wraith Prism cooler
  • GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX 5700XT (RX 5700 also used)
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450F Gaming
  • Memory: 2x 8GB DDR4-3600MHz
  • Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
  • Power Supply: Asus ROG 650W
  • Optical Drive: Pioneer 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Case: Coolermaster N300

A more precise analogue for the Xbox Series X that doesn't overbuild the PC to compensate for optimization deficits or custom hardware throughputs is below. It's also more up-to-date than the article above which was written before the XSX (or PS5) were released, and in fact before their specifications had been confirmed. It's the most precise I can offer:

Notes:

--
CPU: My CPU selection is Zen+, not Zen 2 like the CPU in the XSX, but accounting for the 2700's frequency advantage in combination with its IPC disadvantage, it's nearly perfect, and should perform closer than any of the Zen 2 CPUs on the open PC market. Its architecture is otherwise also more similar (i.e. eight cores, sixteen threads).

-- GPU: Nearly an identical match. Same generation GPU from AMD. Slightly stronger than the XSX GPU (13.21 TFLOPS vs. 12.15 TFLOPS)

-- Motherboard/RAM: These are the most difficult to match. The reason is the fastest DDR4 RAM on the market won't be nearly as fast as the shared VRAM in the XSX. So you just want the fastest you can get at a reasonable price. You could spend $500 on a pair of Corsair Dominator or G. Skill Trident Royal b-die sticks, and even 5000MHz frequency wouldn't get you remotely close presuming you could actually achieve this frequency. Only the best motherboards are capable of these extreme frequencies, but otherwise, nothing about the XSX motherboard demands more than the B450 chipset brings to the table, and chasing a match of RAM speeds is a fool's errand, so even the cheapest motherboards would suffice. A consolation is the PC isn't sharing VRAM and system RAM, so this analogue has far more total RAM (28GB total vs. 16GB in XSX).

RAM: I've chosen 3866MHz because anecdotally this is just below the commonly feasible RAM overclock ceiling on Zen+; meaning this RAM is as fast as you can reasonably expect to get for the CPU. Know that as of the date this post was composed, 3600MHz sticks are more common, and usually quite a bit cheaper.
Motherboard: B450/X470/B550/X570 (Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX, or Mini-DX)
I've chosen the Gigabyte B550M DS3H AC because it's launch MSRP ($105) is the cheapest capable of supporting the above RAM speed that also comes with the same WiFi standard as the XSX has built in, but know you could choose from many. If you found a case as small as the XSX you would be limited to Mini-ITX options.

-- Storage: the XSX uses a custom WD SN530 SSD. It operates at both PCIe 3.0x4 and 4.0x2 speeds. The m.2 SSD on the open market that nearly identically matches its specification closer than any other is the WD SN550. Other nearly identical examples are the WD SN350, SanDisk Ultra, and Crucial P2.

-- PSU: the XSX PSU performs with Titanium-level efficiency, and at a lower wattage than what I've chosen, but 500W is the absolute minimum I would recommend with this build, while 650W is more prudent. The most important thing is that the wattage is sufficient, that it fits in the case you choose, that it doesn't overburden this case with heat if you're mimicking the incredibly small form factor of the XSX, and that it is amazingly quiet (S+ grading). All of this is what favors a higher efficiency rating, and why minimizing the wattage to only what is needed is preferable.

-- Optical Drive: You can get one for as cheap as $60, but these are so problematic that it's easier to just buy an Xbox One S for 4K Blu-Ray playback separately.

-- Case: The Silverstone Fortress FT03 is much larger than the XSX, unfortunately. The silver lining is that it will support Micro-ATX motherboards, too, not just Mini-ITX or Mini-DX offerings. NZXT's H1 was much closer in size, but saw recalls as a fire hazard. Meanwhile, the Corsair One family of prebuilds also has a similar design, closer in size than the Fortress, if you don't want to build an analogue yourself.

Last edited:
Finally got my X yesterday. I'm mostly a PC gamer but I've been tinkering with the idea of having an X connected to my monitor for multi-plats, backwards compatibility, games that have crappy PC ports or games that don't need PC performance.

It's working out pretty well so far. I did make a few mistakes. My original idea was to have a 360 and XSX connected to a HDMI splitter and hooked up to my monitor. Then, I was going to run the XSX at 1440p and 120hz. I totally forgot that you need HDMI 2.0 to support that (I have 1.4) so now I'm going to need another monitor. Considering I already spent $800, now I'm looking at another $500 for a supported monitor. Also, all of the monitors I'm looking at have two HDMI ports so the splitter was a waste of money.

Games wise, everything looks good. I was a little worried because I have a 360 hooked up and since it outputs at 1080p, it looks a little muddy on a 1440p monitor. Fine but not perfect. Thankfully with the XSX supporting 1440p natively, it looks sharp and great. I started off with Assassin' Creed Valhalla and as much as I hate to admit it, it pretty much feels like I'm playing a PC game. The graphics are good, everything is sharp and it's running at 60fps.

I have a 2070 and honestly, I'd probably get the same frame rate and quality. Maybe a little better but nothing really noticeable. The big feature for me though is the suspend state. I love being able to power off the system, power it back on in literally 2 seconds and be back in the game where I left off. That's one thing I can't really do on PC.

I'm definitely still a PC gamer at heart and any FPS game or game that I'd want to play in high frame rate, I'm still going to play on PC. Everything else, I think I'll just play on the XSX for now. I do eventually want a 3090 but I'm no rush with those prices.

Finally got my X yesterday. I'm mostly a PC gamer but I've been tinkering with the idea of having an X connected to my monitor for multi-plats, backwards compatibility, games that have crappy PC ports or games that don't need PC performance.

It's working out pretty well so far. I did make a few mistakes. My original idea was to have a 360 and XSX connected to a HDMI splitter and hooked up to my monitor. Then, I was going to run the XSX at 1440p and 120hz. I totally forgot that you need HDMI 2.0 to support that (I have 1.4) so now I'm going to need another monitor. Considering I already spent $800, now I'm looking at another $500 for a supported monitor. Also, all of the monitors I'm looking at have two HDMI ports so the splitter was a waste of money.

Games wise, everything looks good. I was a little worried because I have a 360 hooked up and since it outputs at 1080p, it looks a little muddy on a 1440p monitor. Fine but not perfect. Thankfully with the XSX supporting 1440p natively, it looks sharp and great. I started off with Assassin' Creed Valhalla and as much as I hate to admit it, it pretty much feels like I'm playing a PC game. The graphics are good, everything is sharp and it's running at 60fps.

I have a 2070 and honestly, I'd probably get the same frame rate and quality. Maybe a little better but nothing really noticeable. The big feature for me though is the suspend state. I love being able to power off the system, power it back on in literally 2 seconds and be back in the game where I left off. That's one thing I can't really do on PC.

I'm definitely still a PC gamer at heart and any FPS game or game that I'd want to play in high frame rate, I'm still going to play on PC. Everything else, I think I'll just play on the XSX for now. I do eventually want a 3090 but I'm no rush with those prices.

I honestly thought about doing the same thing with my PC and an XSX. When I started reading about COD warzone and the way Xbox players cant get out of playing with PC players though I backed out. The was the main reason for getting one and I didn't like that. On my PS4\5 I always make sure to turn off cross play even though the game harasses me about turning it back on.

I honestly thought about doing the same thing with my PC and an XSX. When I started reading about COD warzone and the way Xbox players cant get out of playing with PC players though I backed out. The was the main reason for getting one and I didn't like that. On my PS4\5 I always make sure to turn off cross play even though the game harasses me about turning it back on.

I'm at my PC all day so it kinda makes sense. The only annoying part is having to go through my monitor menus to change inputs to HDMI. I wish there was a better solution. Still, it's pretty awesome to power on the system with the controller and it's up in 2 seconds and I'm right back in the game where I left off at.

Also, even though I have really good temps on my PC, I'm always paranoid and constantly looking at the GPU and CPU temps and my fans. With a console, I just don't care. With Summer not far off, I'd rather the console do the work and not have to worry about temps.

I'd say it's worth it especially considering the Xbox and 360 backwards compatibility. Just make sure you have a HDMI 2.0 monitor if you want 120hz.

Also, even though I have really good temps on my PC, I'm always paranoid and constantly looking at the GPU and CPU temps and my fans. With a console, I just don't care. With Summer not far off, I'd rather the console do the work and not have to worry about temps.

This is the reason I pretty much steered my cousin away from going PC and sticking to consoles. He obsesses over things like that on PC. Constantly trying to stop any process that he doesn't know what it is, trying to make little changes in the settings to get better performance. I always just leave things a lone and don't care about any of that stuff.

I'm at my PC all day so it kinda makes sense. The only annoying part is having to go through my monitor menus to change inputs to HDMI. I wish there was a better solution. Still, it's pretty awesome to power on the system with the controller and it's up in 2 seconds and I'm right back in the game where I left off at.

I'd say it's worth it especially considering the Xbox and 360 backwards compatibility. Just make sure you have a HDMI 2.0 monitor if you want 120hz.

I believe you’ll need hdmi 2.1 to do 120hz. HDMI 2.0 is old at this point.

Started off with Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Honestly, I don't think I like it. I've played and beat all of the AC games and something feels off with this one. The music is good but the controls feel weird and it's already boring me to death. I'll give it a chance but I'm not feeling this one.

I have Control and Watch Dogs Legion waiting that I can switch too worst case.

Any sites you guys can recommend for finding restock as soon as possible? Having a tough time finding an X in Canada

Back