Xbox One vs. PS4: Which do you prefer??

If my buddy didn't get a PS4 I would have probably went XBONE. I got my PS4 around February, so I didn't know about XBONE BC and since my friend only had PS4 I figured I should just go with that so I could play with him.

If I could rechoose I would go XBONE. I have a lot of stuff on 360 and BC sounds promising. I also don't think I own any PS4 exclusives except TLOU which came with the PS4 and which I haven't beaten yet. On the other hand I'd definitely get Halo 5 on release. I also think the 360 controller is more comfortable for FPS (PS for fighters though).

i had both consoles last gen and mainly played on the 360 due to me preferring the controller

most of my mates have PS4's and i find that they barely play on them anymore and have become extremely frustrated at the state of PSN and the slowness/status of it

none of them have switched over though, they have just stopped playing and become a bit disinterested in gaming because of it

a few of my friends have PC's and PS4's, and stick mainly to the PC, again, citing the poor online service as the reason

if your into online gaming with friends, then you should just get the console more of your friends have got, simple as that

as far as one being better than the other, they both have advantages over the other, just pick the one you like the best, neither is better, they are just different

and i cant wait for my mates to be finally able to play Super Meat Boy on the PS4 after me banging on about it for years :cool:

Out of curiosity, how do they even measure units of PC sold? It can't be accurate
Steam doesn't release their sales numbers, so nobody tracks digital sales, and nobody disputes that these account for a greater proportion of PC sales relative to physical sales than for the consoles, but nobody knows by how much. However, you can cross-reference this website:
http://steamspy.com/

PC (Steam) = 437,669 total digital owners

That's all-time, not just a week's sales, and that's current to today. If we look at VGchartz tracking for the consoles total sales (which only goes through July 25th):

PS4 = 2,358, 704 total physical sales
XB1 = 890,969 total physical sales
PC = 78,286 total physical sales

So you can see that even if we add these figures together the PC is getting crushed in total sales, and that only addresses volume. Steam tends to pitch sales on games, even newer releases, far more often than physical console copies are sold at a discount. That's less revenue for developers/distributors, resulting in lower profits, and that makes the platform even less attractive to them.

Furthermore, the problem is that VGChartz doesn't tracks digital sales at all (neither for PC nor consoles) since they depend on retail samples from third party vendors who are willing to share that information, and over the past few years, especially, users have increasingly purchased their games more and more via the digital stores on consoles. Nobody has any clue where that pie chart stands, currently, but I think digital console sales constitute a huge chunk of sales, today (possibly approaching the majority of sales). It's just so much easier than going to the store. You click a button, and a game downloads. The bandwidth of the average user caught up and can handle this delivery system. Most can download a game in several hours to around a day. So we are simply once against comparing apples to oranges.

That being said...the PC is still competitive for some multi-platform games against the Xbox One. The best example for PC is GTA V:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/repor...games-sell-better-on-the-pc-than-on-xbox-one/
3.3m for PC vs. 3.6m for the Xbox One. We also glean some insight into PC hard copy sales vs. digital sales (at least for this one game): 75% of PC owners bought it digitally. So that should give you an idea of what the Steamspy figures are representing: a significant majority of total PC sales.

Don't own an xbox one because every game I care about on it is out on or coming out on PC. I do have a controller for my PC and I never use it, it's just inferior or the DS4 and the Wii U pro controller. And the 360 pad for that matter.

I'm looking at a second hand kinect 2 though, so I can fuck around with the windows 10 APIs for it.

Wow, I just moseyed over to VG Chartz, and the bestselling game globally for the last reported week (ending July 25th) was Batman: Arkham Knight. That didn't surprise me. What surprised me was how vast the discrepancy in sales between the XB1 and PS4:

• PS4 = 105,032 units sold
  • XB1 = 35,484 units sold
  • PC = 1,160 units sold (<---psssst, Master Race...this is why nobody makes games for us, anymore)

Might have something to do with the lacklustre state of the PC version of that game. There was a lot of bad buzz around about it.

And obviously the all time sales will be much lower since it was pulled from the store fairly quick, it's still not back, and a LOT of people got refunds. I'm fairly amazed the steamspy numbers are still so high.

I can't remember the last time I was on my xbox I think it was after my ps4 stopped working so I curb stompped it and come to find out it was just a loose power cord. I turned on the xbox and forgot how to use it got titanfall to play and after getting shot through walls said fuck it and started to play DS2 on the ps3 went to bed woke up the next day and headed straight for best buy.

Might have something to do with the lacklustre state of the PC version of that game. There was a lot of bad buzz around about it.

And obviously the all time sales will be much lower since it was pulled from the store fairly quick, it's still not back, and a LOT of people got refunds. I'm fairly amazed the steamspy numbers are still so high.
This is true. That was an offhanded observation, and I didn't intend to use this game as a sample that would well represent the platform competition as a whole (I just noticed it since it was top dog in the last reported week and there was such a major discrepancy between the PS4 and XB1 sales).

For those who don't know: it's a broken game on PC. It simply doesn't work.

This is true. That was an offhanded observation, and I didn't intend to use this game as a sample that would well represent the platform competition as a whole (I just noticed it since it was top dog in the last reported week and there was such a major discrepancy between the PS4 and XB1 sales).

For those who don't know: it's a broken game on PC. It simply doesn't work.

Haven't had time to get far in it, what with rising thunder, work, and the phantom pain, but it actually ran pretty well on my machine. Obvious issues like 30 fps lock aside, I've not had any crashing whatever. I just don't really enjoy playing it all that much.

Steam doesn't release their sales numbers, so nobody tracks digital sales, and nobody disputes that these account for a greater proportion of PC sales relative to physical sales than for the consoles, but nobody knows by how much. However, you can cross-reference this website:
http://steamspy.com/

PC (Steam) = 437,669 total digital owners

That's all-time, not just a week's sales, and that's current to today. If we look at VGchartz tracking for the consoles total sales (which only goes through July 25th):

PS4 = 2,358, 704 total physical sales
XB1 = 890,969 total physical sales
PC = 78,286 total physical sales

So you can see that even if we add these figures together the PC is getting crushed in total sales, and that only addresses volume. Steam tends to pitch sales on games, even newer releases, far more often than physical console copies are sold at a discount. That's less revenue for developers/distributors, resulting in lower profits, and that makes the platform even less attractive to them.

Furthermore, the problem is that VGChartz doesn't tracks digital sales at all (neither for PC nor consoles) since they depend on retail samples from third party vendors who are willing to share that information, and over the past few years, especially, users have increasingly purchased their games more and more via the digital stores on consoles. Nobody has any clue where that pie chart stands, currently, but I think digital console sales constitute a huge chunk of sales, today (possibly approaching the majority of sales). It's just so much easier than going to the store. You click a button, and a game downloads. The bandwidth of the average user caught up and can handle this delivery system. Most can download a game in several hours to around a day. So we are simply once against comparing apples to oranges.

That being said...the PC is still competitive for some multi-platform games against the Xbox One. The best example for PC is GTA V:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/repor...games-sell-better-on-the-pc-than-on-xbox-one/
3.3m for PC vs. 3.6m for the Xbox One. We also glean some insight into PC hard copy sales vs. digital sales (at least for this one game): 75% of PC owners bought it digitally. So that should give you an idea of what the Steamspy figures are representing: a significant majority of total PC sales.
Also I am a total boob and thought you were talking about hardware sales :redface:

It was also packaged with all new nvidia cards/laptops. I doubt that made a serious impact, but couple that with Dafties post and the gap might not have been so bad. I would like to see the Witcher 3 sales comparison, since that is a series with PC roots.

Oh yeah, games like Witcher 3 will do better because there are still a few companies like Red Projekt, blessed be their souls, who don't compromise, and optimize code specifically for the PC. If any of you motherfuckers are pirating Red Projekt games, you're dead to me. That's coming from an unabashed pirate.

Witcher 3 sales

Physical (through July 25th)
PS4= 2,210,466
XB1= 762,745
PC = 333,593

Steam (through today)
PS4= not reported
XB1= not reported
PC = 785,935 discrete Steam owners

To give you an idea of how incomplete and possibly inaccurate these figures are....Red Projekt confirmed at the end of August that they had surpassed 6 million total sales across all platforms, globally.

Oh yeah, games like Witcher 3 will do better because there are still a few companies like Red Projekt, blessed be their souls, who don't compromise, and optimize code specifically for the PC. If any of you motherfuckers are pirating Red Projekt games, you're dead to me. That's coming from an unabashed pirate.

Witcher 3 sales

Physical (through July 25th)
PS4= 2,210,466
XB1= 762,745
PC = 333,593

Steam (through today)
PS4= not reported
XB1= not reported
PC = 785,935 discrete Steam owners

To give you an idea of how incomplete and possibly inaccurate these figures are....Red Projekt confirmed at the end of August that they had surpassed 6 million total sales across all platforms, globally.

I imagine Witcher 3 did fairly well on gog as well, they had some good deals on there.

i have both,play them regularly. the xbox is flaky as hell,I've finished a couple of games and it hasn't given the achievements but gave the points. the ui is far to hectic and i find hit and miss in what it does. I've also noted some frame drop in game when theres a lot going on.

PS4, the exclusives are not only better, but the multiplatform games generally run better on it too. Though I am considering buying an Xbone sometime in the near future for a few exclusives and it has some useful media options that the PS4 doesn't have that I would definitely use. PC is a close second though, I love my PC, though I need a better graphics card to keep up with these newer games as mine is starting to show its age.

Also thinking about buying a Wii U, enough time has passed where there are enough cool exclusives that justify the purchase.

So for the Witcher 3 its PS4, PC, the Bone with the PS4 outselling the PC by around a million copies minus whatever was bought on GOG. That is actually kind of encouraging, I didn't think it would beat either console but it's competitive. 5-6 years ago I was worried PC would be knocked out of the market by now, but I am pretty sure it has experienced a resurgence

XBONE for me. Haven't had a Playstation since the 2. The last great Playstation.

XBONE has the better controller; other then that crappy D-Pad :(. PS4's Dualshock has the advantage for fighters. Good luck trying to play Killer Instinct Gold on Rare Replay with the XBONE controller. Has a much better online service, it's more stable, faster and has a better free games service with Gold. The exclusives are finally starting to get on the Sony's level finally as well. Not just rehashing Forza, Halo and Gears over and over.

Now that Phil Spencer is the CEO he's completely turned XBONE around since that abysmal E3 back in 2013 with that terrible launch and all the Online only crap and no shared games etc. He's a gamer and knows what gamers want. It's smart for him to let go of this timed exclusivity crap and actually focus on just creating new IP's, 1st party games and other nice features like backwards compatibility.

At the end of the day though this poll is going to be biased because people will just vote for the console they own. PS4 is still dominating the console market and it's mainly because of the initial backlash from that terrible XBONE launch. I saw all through that though and don't let petty shit like that decide my purchase.

So for the Witcher 3 its PS4, PC, the Bone with the PS4 outselling the PC by around a million copies minus whatever was bought on GOG. That is actually kind of encouraging, I didn't think it would beat either console but it's competitive. 5-6 years ago I was worried PC would be knocked out of the market by now, but I am pretty sure it has experienced a resurgence

I think PC is doing much bigger sales overall in gaming hardware and software these days

PS4 but I don't own an XBONE, it doesn't have any exclusives I'm interested in right now. Ghost of a Tale and Cup Head mean I'll probably get one eventually, I usually end up owning all the big 3 at the end of a generation.

I think PC is doing much bigger sales overall in gaming hardware and software these days
Yeah, I think where the PC excels isn't in its competitiveness on multiplat titles, but on the sheer overall market volume from the thousands of lesser games that get sold on the PC.

Yeah I've started playing it again a few week ago, been stop starting for near 10 years now

I played that shit years ago, always had a love hate relationship. I played when it was only runescape classic, haha that game was the shit. The R2h was the weapon of choice that's for sure. I had a guy with 99 fishing and millions of dollars I botted on, don't know what happened to my guy though.

XBONE for me. Haven't had a Playstation since the 2. The last great Playstation.

XBONE has the better controller; other then that crappy D-Pad :(. PS4's Dualshock has the advantage for fighters. Good luck trying to play Killer Instinct Gold on Rare Replay with the XBONE controller. Has a much better online service, it's more stable, faster and has a better free games service with Gold. The exclusives are finally starting to get on the Sony's level finally as well. Not just rehashing Forza, Halo and Gears over and over.

Now that Phil Spencer is the CEO he's completely turned XBONE around since that abysmal E3 back in 2013 with that terrible launch and all the Online only crap and no shared games etc. He's a gamer and knows what gamers want. It's smart for him to let go of this timed exclusivity crap and actually focus on just creating new IP's, 1st party games and other nice features like backwards compatibility.

At the end of the day though this poll is going to be biased because people will just vote for the console they own. PS4 is still dominating the console market and it's mainly because of the initial backlash from that terrible XBONE launch. I saw all through that though and don't let petty shit like that decide my purchase.

The Xbox one controller sucks, the 360 was far better. The PS4 controller is miles better.

I personally can't stand the windows style tiles of the xbone. I disagree about gold having better games. The igc is awesome especially if you have a ps3.

Back