Xande Beats Roger!

Can't blame Xande, got to play a smart gameplan vs a larger opponent.

It was solid. He was waorking it up and getting it tighter and tighter every second the clocked ticked down. He actually secured it right as the round ended.

It was solid. He was waorking it up and getting it tighter and tighter every second the clocked ticked down. He actually secured it right as the round ended.

Damn, as in the arm was locking out? I can't wait to see footage of the match. Was the ending only controversial in your opinion or did it seem like a common opinion in the crowd that Roger was getting a raw deal?

Can't blame Xande, got to play a smart gameplan vs a larger opponent.

The sad paret is that more and more guys stall out when they are competing. Both the guy I lost to and the guy that beat my teammate stalled us out for a majority of our fights. I just hate to see guys bring down the game by not going for the sub or advance at all. That said Xande is a stud.

Damn, as in the arm was locking out? I can't wait to see footage of the match. Was the ending only controversial in your opinion or did it seem like a common opinion in the crowd that Roger was getting a raw deal?

He was securing right as it ended but it was damn close when they pulled Roger off Xande. The common opinion was Gracie Humaita went nuts after the match. I think there were quit a few people that didn't agree with the 2 questionable points they gave to Roger. The whole section I was in was not happy.

The sad paret is that more and more guys stall out when they are competing. Both the guy I lost to and the guy that beat my teammate stalled us out for a majority of our fights. I just hate to see guys bring down the game by not going for the sub or advance at all. That said Xande is a stud.

It's true that they let people stall for points too much in tournaments. The "Ribeiro" style is extremely effective, but painfully boring. I wish they would penalize for stalling more in BJJ.

I really don't understand. If you don't want to be stalled against then don't lose points in the first place or score your own first.

I train at a school overseen by Saulo. He and Xande make trips on a regular basis. They are awesome guys and crazy talented!

CONGRATS XANDE!!

I really don't understand. If you don't want to be stalled against then don't lose points in the first place or score your own first.

That's easy enough to say, but it encourages a super-safe style and a lot of cheezy attempts to get arguable "takedowns." It punishes people who actually play an open and aggressive game, rewarding those who play a conservative, stalling game that works the calls and advantages.

It's true that they let people stall for points too much in tournaments. The "Ribeiro" style is extremely effective, but painfully boring. I wish they would penalize for stalling more in BJJ.

Im not to familiar with the "ribeiro" style you speak of, and i have been to three seminars with those guys. Xande said that one of the main goals of a jiu jitsu fighter is to get the mount and choke. If you look at his 06 run what did he do for the majority of the tournament. Even if this tournament was not the case he beat the best that was thrown his way. Bashing two of the best jiu jitsu fighters that have ever lived is kind of absurd

That's easy enough to say, but it encourages a super-safe style and a lot of cheezy attempts to get arguable "takedowns." It punishes people who actually play an open and aggressive game, rewarding those who play a conservative, stalling game that works the calls and advantages.

Just an example, if I got a takedown and then passed someones guard and proceed to stall the rest of the match. You are saying you would look down upon that performance?

It's easier to defend than score in grappling against an opponent of your own ability (note that striking is the opposite). A good example is the Jacare-Couture match, in which Couture more or less shut down Jacare without trying anything himself, to get the draw. This is true in judo and wrestling as well as BJJ ... without some sort of stalling rules most grappling matches between equally matched opponents would turn into 0-0 ties. It'd be like soccer on mats :icon_cry2

In so far as you're taking part in competition (ie doing a sport), you need rules to encourage offense, otherwise the best strategy against an equal opponent is always to sit back and wait for them to make a mistake.

Just an example, if I got a takedown and then passed someones guard and proceed to stall the rest of the match. You are saying you would look down upon that performance?

It depends what you mean by "look down." I do think it's lame that you can win this way. I blame the rules, not the fighters who have to live by the rules. From a sport perspective it's painfully boring, from a competitor perspective it's dishearteningly dull, and from a fighting perspective it's counterproductive IMHO. I'd like to see the rules encourage a more attacking style -- like Rickson or Jean Jacques Machado -- and less of the stall-a-riffic style.

Im not to familiar with the "ribeiro" style you speak of, and i have been to three seminars with those guys. Xande said that one of the main goals of a jiu jitsu fighter is to get the mount and choke. If you look at his 06 run what did he do for the majority of the tournament. Even if this tournament was not the case he beat the best that was thrown his way. Bashing two of the best jiu jitsu fighters that have ever lived is kind of absurd

I'm not bashing their success, I'm bashing the style they epitomize -- working the rules to their utmost limits. Saulo is probably my favorite technician -- he's amazing. But I can't watch the man compete. I watched him at the Mundials last year, and it was duller than watching paint dry. I'd much rather watch Roger than see Saulo find an infinitesimal opening to score some points, get them, and then stall to victory. If the rules were changed, I have no doubt that Saulo would be much more exciting to watch -- it's the rules I fault.

It depends what you mean by "look down." I do think it's lame that you can win this way. I blame the rules, not the fighters who have to live by the rules. From a sport perspective it's painfully boring, from a competitor perspective it's dishearteningly dull, and from a fighting perspective it's counterproductive IMHO. I'd like to see the rules encourage a more attacking style -- like Rickson or Jean Jacques Machado -- and less of the stall-a-riffic style.

In that situation, why can't you blame the guy for not defending the takedown, or the pass? I mean the victim of getting stalled out shouldn't complain about it is what I'm saying. I agree it's boring as hell though.

In that situation, why can't you blame the guy for not defending the takedown, or the pass? I mean the victim of getting stalled out shouldn't complain about it is what I'm saying. I agree it's boring as hell though.

Because BJJ shouldn't be decided based on sudden-death scoring, IMHO. It makes the game way too cautious and conservative. The way it's become, it's incredibly difficult to have back and forth matches, or attack with a really aggressive style. Instead one guy manages to get points by countering a takedown attempt, and then plays stalling defense until his increasingly desperate opponent makes a sloppy mistake, then loses more points. Both guys should bear a burden to really ATTACK throughout. I would like to see a lot more stalling deductions. Otherwise Big Mac is in all of our futures.

Back