x

BMI caters to people who aren't active or athletic, because face it, most people aren't. Therefore, yes, someone who isn't active or athletic at 6' and over 83 kg is probably more likely to be unhealthy. It's absolutely nuts to think that someone 6' and over 83 kg who carries some muscle mass is at more risk to be unhealthy. My guess is that if you find people active/athletic with muscle at 6' 200 lbs vs. someone 6' 70.5 kg, you'll find the 6' 200 lbs people would have better results when testing their overall health.

It's utterly hilarious that 6' 140 lbs would be considered "normal" under BMI. The average male that is 6' and 140 lbs is going to be as weak as a kitten.

even cecil peoples would score it 30-29 for the kitten

That's fair. But BMI is a global scale, too, I believe. If you're from a Western country, you're one of the most massive people on earth. It'd be like a Somalian dude seeing his BMI and saying that he's not underweight, he just has a small frame. It's relative.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18770328

^Try this out to see where you fit within your own nationality. You're probably pretty reasonably situated. My BMI is lower than 90% of American males my age, but I'm only slightly below the global average and I'm right where I should be given my ethnic background.

Yeah it makes sense, cheers for the link.

My BMI is only 26 on there which is still overweight but I suppose it's slightly better.

honestly it takes serious effort to avoid the high fat, salt , sugar foods that are almost omnipresent.

I suppose if people aren't taught to take the time to eat properly, its easier to eat fast food.

put it this way, my near 6 year old has never tried McDonalds. I haven't eaten there in over 15 years.

She gets Chic-Filet once and awhile but that's it.

honestly it takes serious effort to avoid the high fat, salt , sugar foods that are almost omnipresent.

This is important, too. Americans have a shit diet. All we eat is processed food.

I went with a teacher group to Thailand and literally everyone lost weight, despite the fact that we were eating far more. One girl lost 75lbs in 6 months without any exercise at all, just from eating superior food. Cooked meals, with actual fruits and vegetables, no artificial sugars, lean meats. Americans have to go out of their way to eat like that, most people eat like that their entire lives. Of course our BMIs are gonna be crazy high.

I suppose if people aren't taught to take the time to eat properly, its easier to eat fast food.

and lets face it, these companies do everything they can to trick (maybe not the best word) consumers.

for example, kids yogurt that has 'low fat' and 'all anutral' in huge letters contains 30 grams of sugar per serving.

put it this way, my near 6 year old has never tried McDonalds. I haven't eaten there in over 15 years.

the last mcdonalds i had was about a year ago when i was hungover. it made me feel ill and i was hungry an hour later. garbage 'food'.

and lets face it, these companies do everything they can to trick (maybe not the best word) consumers.

for example, kids yogurt that has 'low fat' and 'all anutral' in huge letters contains 30 grams of sugar per serving.
but the onus is on you to be educated and make the right choices.

Chick-Fil-A.

Do you even 'Merica, bro?

Bill Gates fighting obesity now?

Bye bye, obesity. Dude's got malaria on the run, right? Obesity should be a piece of cake.

but the onus is on you to be educated and make the right choices.

I agree, but as a society we have the right to make companies be transparent and quite honestly make it easy and straight forward for customers.

For example, I saw a genetically modified foods rep on a local show and he argued against labeling 'because it may unnecessarily scare off some customers'.

"major public health epidemic"

^
I don't really get that. It's a major individual health epidemic the way I see it. If my next door neighbor wants to get fat, it doesn't affect me in the least. Yeah yeah yeah, shared health insurance plans, we all have to pay for the fatties, blah blah blah...I don't buy that. I think the latest numbers actually show fat smokers have less overall health care expenses because they live shorter lives and often kick off from a major heart attack at age 58. It's the healthy people that live to 95 and require years of health care as they age.

Both parents working outside the house is another reason I believe. Stay-at-home Mom used to be the family nutritionist and meal planner and cook and kids and parents would eat way more healthy meals as a result.

Both parents working outside the house is another reason I believe. Stay-at-home Mom used to be the family nutritionist and meal planner and cook and kids and parents would eat way more healthy meals as a result.

Good point.

For example, I saw a genetically modified foods rep on a local show and he argued against labeling 'because it may unnecessarily scare off some customers'.

^
That's a legitimate argument.

Without derailing the thread...if labeling starts tomorrow and all the helicopter mommies that have no idea what GMO even means immediately stop buying anything with that label, it could fuck up the entire food supply around here and screw up a lot of farmers and have other effects.

Maybe that's all a good thing if GMO's are actually causing harm, but I don't think the science supports that yet. Labeling sounds good, but the fear is that the labels get misused and misunderstood.

Back