X-Guard best 1/2 guard for sweeps?

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
After doing some X-Guard work, I'm finding that it is so easy to sweep guys that are begginer-itermediate level IF (that's a big if) they've had little experience being offensive and defensive with the x-guard. My biggest problem is after the sweep transitioning into side controls and dominant positions, but I guess that will come. The only x-guard sub I can ever get is the telephone/inverted armbar, but i know it's a sweeping guard.

Anyone here use this guard from butterfly or half guard to transition into it? And general thoughts on the X-guard? Links to good techniques? Thanks guys.

P.S. I have Marcelo's book.

I use the X-guard a lot...I use it from butterfly guard and from 1/2 guard. The submission I get the most is the knee bar from X-guard, but I like it for sweeps as well. I find it works for all levels, I can get my instructor in it I have to react fast. Either sweep (most likely) or a submission attempt.

Here is the X-guard to knee bar:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSFKLOEGdj4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XSFKLOEGdj4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Best...thats debateable, but may be the easiest for sweeps. I like hg butterfly personally...easier to setup.

I get into the X-guard mostly from half guard when the guy would rather stand up and try to back away rather than engage and try to pass. I also get in it from butterfly guard with double underhooks when the guy tries to block a sweep by posting one of his legs. I have Marcelo's book also but haven't worked from it for a while now so don't know if those transitions are in there, but I'm sure they are.

As far as finishing I've never tried to submit yet, still working on getting into the position faster and working on being fluent in a few of the sweeps, but when I do sweep my mind is already thinking pass his open guard the second my momentum brings me off my back if I'm not able to go straight to side control.

I get into the X-guard mostly from half guard when the guy would rather stand up and try to back away rather than engage and try to pass. I also get in it from butterfly guard with double underhooks when the guy tries to block a sweep by posting one of his legs. I have Marcelo's book also but haven't worked from it for a while now so don't know if those transitions are in there, but I'm sure they are.

As far as finishing I've never tried to submit yet, still working on getting into the position faster and working on being fluent in a few of the sweeps, but when I do sweep my mind is already thinking pass his open guard the second my momentum brings me off my back if I'm not able to go straight to side control.

That's where I am with mine.

i tried using x-guard for the first time last week. i immediately got footlocked (the foot that was on the hip). does this happen a lot?

thats why it helps to get a cross sleeve grip so he can't footlock and hide ur foot deep into his hip

I have a harder time getting to X Guard than I do sweeping/finishing with leg locks from there. It seems like once I get to X Guard, it's really just a short amount of time before I sweep them, but getting to X Guard is near impossible because most guys I train with know it's coming and avoid it like the plague.

i tried using x-guard for the first time last week. i immediately got footlocked (the foot that was on the hip). does this happen a lot?

"To make it more difficult for your opponent to footlock you in this position you must do 2 things:

Continually off balance your opponent. Once you've got the X guard position you need to continually off balance him so that he needs both of his hands to balance and base out. If he isn't being off balanced then he can use his hands to attack and counter you, so give him the rodeo ride of his life!
Use your awareness - anytime that his hands come close to that foot (either to push it down or to footlock it) you have to react quickly. Dropping the attacked foot down and going to the 'banana peel' sweep (the 5th X guard sweep on Dynamic Guard Sweeps Vol. 1) might be your best option"

Credit from:

Butterfly and X guard Q & A

Back