"X fighter will be Jones' biggest test" needs to stop

Dman4Life8017

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I think this talk needs to stop. The man has defended his title 8 times, and is on his way to becoming the mos dominant champion in MMA history. From now on, the opposite needs to be said in that Jon Jones will be the biggest test his opponents have faced. Like him or not, Jon Jones is now the standard in his division, and in MMA. There is no facet of MMA in which he has not bested his opponents in. Striking, Wrestling, Submissions, Grappling, Stamina, Strength. He has bested his opponents in all of those areas. So be it Rumble, or Gus, they will not be the "biggest test Jon Jones has faced". He will be THEIR biggest test because they haven't beaten anyone like him.

From now on, the opposite needs to be said in that Jon Jones will be the biggest test his opponents have faced.
While certainly correct, I don't think the obvious needs to be stated that often.

OSP and Phil Davis will be his toughest challenge :)

uhm, it's pretty obvious that Jones is gonna be pretty much any fighters toughest fight. Doesn't mean that fighter x can't be Jones' toughest fight, too.

I don't mind it. The people need something to believe in, something to keep them going.

I'll only sag TBE hope is getting out of control when Sherdogers start touting Bader as the guy to end Jones reign. Until then, let the Detractors have some glimmer of hope that Jones is not who he obviously is: the greatest fighter this sport has ever seen.

I think this talk needs to stop. The man has defended his title 8 times, and is on his way to becoming the mos dominant champion in MMA history. From now on, the opposite needs to be said in that Jon Jones will be the biggest test his opponents have faced. Like him or not, Jon Jones is now the standard in his division, and in MMA. There is no facet of MMA in which he has not bested his opponents in. Striking, Wrestling, Submissions, Grappling, Stamina, Strength. He has bested his opponents in all of those areas. So be it Rumble, or Gus, they will not be the "biggest test Jon Jones has faced". He will be THEIR biggest test because they haven't beaten anyone like him.

"X fighter" will be Jones's biggest test. It will always be his very next fight.
Thanks for your $60. Gotcha.

Yeah why would people think Gus will be a big test.
jonesgus_original.jpg

Let the Jones detractors continue to conjure up their pseudo-Messiahs and watch them fall one-by-one.

As another poster said... They need someone to believe in.

Cormier has now been promptly discarded, so it's on to the next great hope.

Lather, rinse, repeat until Jones retires undefeated.

Well, it made sense on paper to call Cormier his "biggest test", it's not like people said that about Sonnen.

An undefeated Olympic wrestler who'd never lost a round or been taken down while fighting heavyweight elites is only not Jones' biggest test in retrospect. And we all know that retrospective arguments are horseshit.

I don't think any informed person on Earth thought Glover, Vitor, or Sonnen was Jones' biggest test. Also, passing a test does not mean that there was no test. Beating Cormier convincingly is easily Jones' biggest achievement to date.

I agree Jones is favourite against any other LHW, when people say biggest test i take it they mean out of the challengers left for him to fight, as of now i think its Gus, Rumble, Davis, Think he handles davis easy tbh, Rumble is the big question mark, we know he has the strength and power but can he put it together and against jones, this is where gus is proven, hes performed well and done what no others really have.

I agree, the next JBJ title fight should be billed and hyped as the million to 1 snowflakes chance in Hades for the next opponent.

That will certainly draw more PPV buys, right?

Meh, I do somewhat agree with it most of the time but when Rogan called Texeira ''the most dangerous fighter Jon Jones has ever faced'', that was a bit silly.

Cormier was Jones biggest threat at LHW, that point still stands, even if Jones did win. Cain, JDS, Miocic and Werdum still stand as major threats at HW, and that can't really be denied. Chris Weidman would be good too, he seems to be a guy who can analyse a fighter and put together a good gameplab (like Jones).
I can't remember anyone ever claiming, however, that Rampage, Vitor, Sonnen or Glover were big threats, and I would add Evans to that list (and I honestly didn't think Gus was going to stop Jones wrestling)

Back