WWE loses 50% of it's value in one day!

Yes, especially if it's the same cast and takes places around a wrestling ring every week.

Meh, you can slight it all you want, but there is clearly some appeal to this 100+ year industry that the public likes.

If you ask me, the UFC is even worse in that regard. Real competition be damned. You know exactly what you're going to see when you tune into a UFC event. Nowadays the UFC is just a bland landscape with bland personalities, and top atheletes making the sport boring and predictable. But yay, it's real.

Why do you like movies? Fake stories with actors. How can anyone get into that?
An opera or a play is a fake story with actors.

You really think having that in common makes everything comparable?

Guys dressing up in costumes and pretending to yell at each other and faking dirty looks and then engaging in scripted 'wrestling' match is something I would expect to have a target demo of makes maybe 8 to 16 years old.

Plus, I don't for a second refer to anything in a movie like it was real life. I hear grown men say things like "Did you see how The Rock called out so and so"? People talk about things that go on like its something that actually happened in real life, even if they finally stopped applying that to the match itself.

Again, and I realize I'm probably doing it just with giving my opinion, but my intent is not to insult anyone. But I just can't understand the attraction. I mean, people like soap operas too. To each their own. But its not the suspension of disbelief or that it is fake that is the main reason I don't get it. It is the theme in which it takes place. People pretending to mean mug each other and stomping the mat like they are kicking someone or pretending to yell at someone just isn't entertainment to me. There are a lot of things that don't have to be real to be entertaining. But for me fighting isn't one of them. If I hired two clowns for a kids birthday party and told them get in costume and and pretend to fight it would pretty much be the same thing to me.

In complete sincerity, what aspect(s) of it do you find entertaining? I mean this is a form of entertainment that originated by convincing people it was real. Even the industry itself thought that was absolutely crucial for it to be successful; to the point that they did some crazy things to keep that perception going including beating up reporters and slashing their own faces with razor blades. So you can't tell me its shocking some people are surprised to find out it never mattered if people knew it was fake.

Damn, that sucks.

WWF was the platform that got me into MMA.

"Wrestling is fake, it isn't real!"

Switches to MMA.

"It's too violent!"

Haters gonna hate.

Hope they do better. Would be a travesty if they had to close up shop.

lol that gif of Vince walking with 'Haters gonna hate' would have suited your post.

I'm sure he ain't losing any sleep over it. Dude made his money years ago.

It is a soap opera for men, and some women. That being said, how do you not understand why it's successful? Pro-Wrestling is one of kind.

You're underestimating it's mass appeal. It's for kids, teens, and adults of all races. For fuck's sake, Barney The Dinosaur and Sesame Street are near billion dollar industries, without the cross over appeal to adults. Now imagine if they could combine the two?

I understand not liking it, but to not understand how it's successful is rather short sighted.
You actually made my point for me

If adults without children started buying pay for view to watch Barney or Sesamee Street I'd have them committed.

I understand the appeal to the younger demo. Just don't get has it has adults paying to see it

My thought too. The XFL was a terrible idea, everyone knew it was terrible, but Vince must have been surrounded by all yes men at that point. Even smart/successful guys like Vince need someone to check their bad ideas.

At that time everyone, including Vince, thought that he had the Midas Touch because of the huge success they were having.

2035_autoplay_gif_gif_vince_mcmahon_wwf.gif

They took a big gamble and now they are screwed. :icon_chee

You actually made my point for me

If adults without children started buying pay for view to watch Barney or Sesamee Street I'd have them committed.

I understand the appeal to the younger demo. Just don't get has it has adults paying to see it

With that argument though, it gives off the impression that you think other forms of entertainment are somehow more "important", or "valid", and that's where it fails. What difference does an age demographic make?

You like what you like. I don't get the appeal of Soccer and don't get why people of any age would pay to see it, but clearly on a worldwide scale, I'm in the minority. I'm not about to argue why it's boring, as if my opinion is based in fact. It's just an opinion. A guy making a great setup for a bicycle kick for a Soccer fan, may be as exciting as a pro-wrestler doing a frogsplash from the top rope, or delivering a great promo for a wrestling fan.

And seriously, any UFC fan should be able to relate to the ignorance. How many times have you heard MMA referred to as "human cockfighting", "barbaric", or "not a real 'sport'"? Isn't it annoying when those thing get tossed around, when you're trying to explain the artistry and athleticism involved?

I have never understood how scripted wrestling made any money to begin with.

When it first started and a lot of people thought it was real and wrestlers assaulted reporters to protect their tightly guarded lie I could understand it more. Because if it had said from the beginning it was fake I don't think it would have lasted a year. Nobody would have paid to see guys dress up and pretend to wrestle and pretend to have huge rivalries with each other. But years later because of insurance reasons and the cost disparity being huge depending on if it was real or fake they finally fessed up and somehow it made no difference. I don't get. I concede some of them are great athletes but its essentially a soap opera for men.

Not trying to insult or hate on anybody who enjoys it. Just for me personally I don't see the attraction.

Wrestling, even though with preconceived outcomes, have been a stable of entertainment for HUNDREDS of years. It is a story of underdogs, about certain people (villains) getting the justice they don't get in real life.

And yes, I don't watch it either.

Guys dressing up in costumes and pretending to yell at each other and faking dirty looks and then engaging in scripted 'wrestling' match is something I would expect to have a target demo of makes maybe 8 to 16 years old.

Plus, I don't for a second refer to anything in a movie like it was real life. I hear grown men say things like "Did you see how The Rock called out so and so"? People talk about things that go on like its something that actually happened in real life, even if they finally stopped applying that to the match itself.

Again, and I realize I'm probably doing it just with giving my opinion, but my intent is not to insult anyone. But I just can't understand the attraction. I mean, people like soap operas too. To each their own. But its not the suspension of disbelief or that it is fake that is the main reason I don't get it. It is the theme in which it takes place. People pretending to mean mug each other and stomping the mat like they are kicking someone or pretending to yell at someone just isn't entertainment to me. There are a lot of things that don't have to be real to be entertaining. But for me fighting isn't one of them. If I hired two clowns for a kids birthday party and told them get in costume and and pretend to fight it would pretty much be the same thing to me.

In complete sincerity, what aspect(s) of it do you find entertaining? I mean this is a form of entertainment that originated by convincing people it was real. Even the industry itself thought that was absolutely crucial for it to be successful; to the point that they did some crazy things to keep that perception going including beating up reporters and slashing their own faces with razor blades. So you can't tell me its shocking some people are surprised to find out it never mattered if people knew it was fake.

Theres always, always, always at least one of those insecure guys that has to talk shit about pro wrestling. No one knows why "that guy" thinks anyone cares about their opinion.

"STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE. CANT YOU SEE ITS STUPID AND SOOOO BELOW ME!?"

Just reeks of insecurity to me. What exactly such people are so insecure about specifically, I wont get into.

I'm willing to bet you love Bruce Lee and Bloodsport movies though, as if they're any different.

Only difference is one is live, and one isn't.

I get it though, you're too intelligent for anything fake. "BUT MOVIES HAVE ACTORS MAN"
Actor - a person whose profession is acting on the stage, in movies, or on television.

By that definition so are wrestlers, but they're actors who take bumps in the process.

I get it, you're way too cool for wrestling, way too intelligent for wrestling, cooler than anyone who enjoys wrestling, and are more intelligent than anyone who watches wrestling.

Because people can't have different tastes. Quit being so ignorant.

I used to love wrestling for many reasons. The stunts, the silliness, the bad acting, etc. It was good trashy fun. Being there live was a blast (specially with a little buzz) and it didn't cost much money.

Don't be mad that no one would care about the UFC if it wasn't for the WWE. It's ok brah, people can like both.

With that argument though, it gives off the impression that you think other forms of entertainment are somehow more "important", or "valid", and that's where it fails. What difference does an age demographic make?

You like what you like. I don't get the appeal of Soccer and don't get why people of any age would pay to see it, but clearly on a worldwide scale, I'm in the minority. I'm not about to argue why it's boring, as if my opinion is based in fact. It's just an opinion. A guy making a great setup for a bicycle kick for a Soccer fan, may be as exciting as a pro-wrestler doing a frogsplash from the top rope, or delivering a great promo for a wrestling fan.
I'm not arguing what type of entertainment should be considered more important as that's totally subjective. But its a reality that there are target demos as far as age.

Now perhaps age is subjective as well. I enjoy the Marvel movies. But I feel like they are written and acted to appeal to adults. But you make a fair point. I guess to be honest what really bugs me is that people continue to treat it like its real and not fake. And I'm just shocked people would pay $50 to watch a fake event. But if you say you are crystal clear on the fact its fake, don't approach any aspect of it like it is real, and simply enjoy it as a form of entertainment than who am I to day that's not valid?

Its the fans that constantly blur the line between fake and real to the point of self-delusion that irritate me. Someone like you I have no issue with. I probably like things you think are stupid. We don't answer to each other and that's how it should be. Its just when people take something clearly fake as seriously as some seem to (some people have even said WWE deserves credit for establishing wrestling as a base in MMA...not the real wrestlers that happen to be employed now by WWE but WWE itself) is when it just bugs and bewilders me.

But you are right. Entertainment is mostly subjective. I have no problem with that. I appreciate the civil exchange

Theres always, always, always at least one of those insecure guys that has to talk shit about pro wrestling. No one knows why "that guy" thinks anyone cares about their opinion.

"STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE. CANT YOU SEE ITS STUPID AND SOOOO BELOW ME!?"

Just reeks of insecurity to me. What exactly such people are so insecure about specifically, I wont get into.

The guy doesn't like wrestling so he's insecure?

I don't get wrestling either, but it doesn't matter, I'm super excited about the new Godzilla movie, and I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't get THAT. Different people enjoy lots of different kinds of entertainment, and obviously a lot of people enjoy wrestling.

Don't be mad that no one would care about the UFC if it wasn't for the WWE. It's ok brah, people can like both.

MMA is still a fringe sport, and will probably be one forever.

Back