WW Title fight if GSP retires

UJustGotChaeld

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Per Firas GSP is considering retiring after this fight.

Assuming this is true (and GSP wins) who do you think should fight for the title?

I would think a Condit/Rory rematch would be amazing, assuming they both win.

If that's true then it's gonna be some combination of

Hendricks
Condit
Brown
MacDonald
Lawler

If that's true then it's gonna be some combination of

Hendricks
Condit
Brown
MacDonald
Lawler

This is about him possibly retiring.
GSP's head trainer, Firas Zahabi, recently told TVA sports (h/t Bloody Elbow) that his star pupil may call it quits on a phenomenal career if he does not feel motivated to continue.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-following-ufc-167-bout-according-to-trainer

Although ... apparently it was taken out of context from an article I just found.

Hendricks/Rory/Condit combo.

I don't think he retires either. I'd like for him to take the LW belt before he retires too. Shields would even be in the mix perhaps with GSP gone, although I would never want him to be champ.

I assume they'd hold a tournament with the top 4 guys in the division

Winner of Condit/Brown
Winner of Lawler/Rory
Hendricks (not sure though cuz he'd be coming off a title shot anyways)
Shields??

Or they'd just set up the winners of the first two fights

I don't think he retires either. I'd like for him to take the LW belt before he retires too. Shields would even be in the mix perhaps with GSP gone, although I would never want him to be champ.

GSP dropping down to LW? I don't think so and GSP has stated that he has a tough enough time as it is dropping to 170.

Ive said it before and ill say it again condit will be the ww champ by the end of 2014

Condit vs Hendricks 5 round rematch for all the marbles.

Condit v Brown winner versus Rory v Lawler winner. This would probably be Condit v Rory.

If GSP beats Hendricks and retires, it should be Condit/Brown winner vs MacDonald/Lawler winner.

If GSP loses (poster curse is upon him, after all), it should be Hendricks vs MacDonald/Lawler winner.

Hendricks vs Condit II; Now with 2 more rounds!

GSP dropping down to LW? I don't think so and GSP has stated that he has a tough enough time as it is dropping to 170.

Ummm .... no. He has an easy WW cut, and is 15 pounds lighter than some of his opponents.

"Well to be honest with you, I have recommended to Georges, you know...the only reason I don't recommend it now is because Frankie Edgar is the champion, but I'd want him to move down to 155 if Frankie was not the champion. Obviously we're part of the Renzo Gracie team and we'd never fight Frankie Edgar, because obviously we're all Renzo Gracie fighters. But if it wasn't the case, you know, I'd rather him go down to 155 because Georges is not a very big welterweight. People might think he is, he's actually not very big. And him making 170 is extremely easy for him.

Honestly, it's probably one of the easiest weight cuts from all that I coach, and I coach a lot of professional fighters. Georges making 170 is getting a little too easy for him, so I'd recommend to him in the future, who knows what the cards hold, but if we don't have a team member that's champion or anything like that, I would recommend him to go down first before going up."
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/...s-st-pierre--move-to-155-iras-zahabi-mma-news

You do realize there are LW fighters that are within 5 lbs of his weight, and WW fighters 15lbs heavier (both on fight night).

I'll go ahead and be the millionth guy to say it just because it would be epic.

Rory vs Condit 2.

I got Condit by tko round 4.

Condits pace is unreal

I'm for a WW tournament with the top 20 or so. The winner would have fought his way through the toughest division and would be considered a worthy successor to GSP.

Back