International Wuhan Coronavirus V2 - Hide your kids, hide your wife and buy masks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s gotta be bad. Beijing won’t let anyone move around when their holiday ends. Everyone must have temperature scans to access anything like public transit or Banks and whatnot.

They just let 5 million or so migrant workers from Anhui return to Shanghai and spread it left and right while emptying the shelves in the grocery stores.

I think this is going to crash the stock market by at least 40% when people realize there is nothing to buy, because everything was made in China. Then, when people in NY start getting sick, there is going to be panic buying of food, and our economy is going to shut down.

We still don't know the death rate. It's looking like 2%, which is still 20x more than the flu. And it could be a lot higher.

I think this is going to crash the stock market by at least 40% when people realize there is nothing to buy, because everything was made in China. Then, when people in NY start getting sick, there is going to be panic buying of food, and our economy is going to shut down.

We still don't know the death rate. It's looking like 2%, which is still 20x more than the flu. And it could be a lot higher.

It’s 4.1 percent in Wuhan.

Good luck getting any real numbers on that from China. I'm just going by anecdotal evidence like you.
Exactly, too many rumours and conspiracy theories around when there is an outbreak. We had a similar panic with Ebola a few years back. That's why we don't speculate without facts. The facts point to a virus that's slightly more dangerous than flu with proper healthcare support.

The point is they are being sent to Wuhan where proper medical treatment is not in place. The scale of this thing is entirely different than SARS too, most sick people are turned away at the door at the hospitals in Hubei, and are essentially left to die in their apartments.
Proper medical treatment is not in place for the average person in Wuhan currently, but more likely that not available to medical teams sent to assist. You really think doctors and nurses don't take care of their own first in hospitals they work at? It makes no sense for China to spent vast amount of resources educating and training medical professionals just to send them to their deaths. That would actually accelerate the collapse of the medical system, when they are trying to put it back on track. What does government gain by depleting its limited pool of doctors and nurses?

It makes good sensationalist headlines, but doesn't pass the logical test. I was posting on Sherdog during the Ebola hysteria, so I am a little more skeptical of these wild claims.

Not to mention the social unrest this is causing in China. Things are turning real bad real quick, and we might well see large scale protests and riots.

Exactly, too many rumours and conspiracy theories around when there is an outbreak. We had a similar panic with Ebola a few years back. That's why we don't speculate.
There was no widespread global ebola panic. People were not running to the stores buying up all the masks and food in other continents. There was a fairly open communication about the danger and the situation. We were extremely lucky the ebola virus spontaneously mutated into a less deadly form and could be contained. Things were looking quite dire for Africa for a while.

Proper medical treatment is not in place for the average person in Wuhan currently, but it's available to medical teams sent to assist. You really think doctors and nurses don't take care of their own first in hospitals they work at? It makes no sense for China to spent vast amount of resources educating and training medical professionals just to send them to their deaths. That would actually accelerate the collapse of the medical system, when they are trying to put it back on track.

It makes good sensationalist headlines, but doesn't pass the logical test.
It sounds like you have no direct experience of China. Have you lived there? Or in USSR? If you think a totalitarian government acts rationally in the way you would think is rational, you have probably never experienced it.

This may be a blessing in disguise. They’ll learn their mistakes and could revert their changes to producing their own goods locally.

This may be a blessing in disguise. They’ll learn their mistakes and could revert their changes to producing their own goods locally.
Wouldn't bet on it. Manufacturing for the global market is already moving away from China. Apple will just spin up a new factory in Nigeria or Sri Lanka.

There was no widespread global ebola panic. People were not running to the stores buying up all the masks and food in other continents. There was a fairly open communication about the danger and the situation. We were extremely lucky the ebola virus spontaneously mutated into a less deadly form and could be contained. Things were looking quite dire for Africa for a while.
Obviously you recall those events quite differently, because people were calling for travel bans and flight cancellations out of Africa right here on Sherdog. Right wingers here were calling Obama all sorts of names too.

It sounds like you have no direct experience of China. Have you lived there? Or in USSR? If you think a totalitarian government acts rationally in the way you would think is rational, you have probably never experienced it.

I had spent close to 6 months working in China in 2012 when I worked for a real estate developer in Vancouver. I was in Guangzhou, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Shenzhen for up to two weeks at a time, and dealt with government officials as my boss pitched property projects. Communist party functions a lot like a corporation, with certain internal economic KPI they need to meet in order to be considered for promotion. They are rational to the point of looking at the population as a numbers game without emotions attached. That's the kind of people I fear. Don't assume what you don't know.

Fucking flu.

I've never been dragged out of my home because I had the flu or gone to the doctor and he walks in wearing a hazmat suit.

What in the actual fuck is going on with this? It just doesn't make sense. The other thread had videos of the authorities welding gates shut so people couldn't leave an apartment building. They are literally sealing people inside their homes now. That ain't no fucking flu.

Obviously you recall those events quite differently, because people were calling for travel bans and flight cancellations out of Africa right here on Sherdog. Right wingers here were calling Obama all sorts of names too.
Karate forum people calling the president "all sorts of names". Wew. Really big panic.

I had spent close to 6 months working in China in 2012 when I worked for a real estate developer in Vancouver. I was in Guangzhou, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Shenzhen for up to two weeks at a time, and dealt with government officials as my boss pitched property projects. Communist party functions a lot like a corporation, with certain internal economic KPI they need to meet in order to be considered for promotion. They are rational to the point of looking at the population as a numbers game. Don't assume what you don't know.
Good, you have not experienced it then. Especially since you were there during a time when Beijing was very hands-off and tried to lure foreign investments into the country.

Hong Kong is not China (fuck you)
Guangxi is a prosperous autonomous region with their own local government
Shenzhen and Shanghai were specifically targeting foreign investments with free trade zones and incentives for foreigners

You don't know anything and you sound like a China apologist, so fuck you

Karate forum people calling the president "all sorts of names". Wew. Really big panic.

Good, you have not experienced it then. Especially since you were there during a time when Beijing was very hands-off and tried to lure foreign investments into the country.

Hong Kong is not China (fuck you)
Guangxi is a prosperous autonomous region with their own local government
Shenzhen and Shanghai were specifically targeting foreign investments with free trade zones and incentives for foreigners

You don't know anything and you sound like a China apologist, so fuck you
Well this conversation went downhill fast. Hong Kong seems to be a bit touchy for you. Seems you can't tell the difference between Guangzhou and Guangxi.

The signs don't point to intelligence I am afraid. By the way, Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China. No need to thank me for pointing it out.

This is some serious shit.

It was just a matter of time. We were due.

I hate myself for asking, but can you elaborate here?

In games like Pandemic 2 and Plague Inc. Madagascar is/was one of the hardest countries to infect. Madagascar could only be reached by ship and their ports would shut down almost immediately once your plague was discovered.

Don't worry guys, it's just a flu!

EQIfewDX0AYS2OM

Is this graph legit? If it is, that ain’t good

EQIfewDX0AYS2OM

Is this graph legit? If it is, that ain’t good
Yes. nCov spreads much faster than SARS ever did. The international collaboration that happened during the SARS epidemic was very effective in containing it and ultimately defeating it. The current outbreak has a lot of similarities with the SARS outbreak. Here's a good article on the lessons learned (and forgotten) from SARS: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2636331/

And what did we learn from the SARS outreak? In the final chapter, Brian Doberstyn, who in 2003 was the director of the Division for Combating Communicable Disease in WPRO, has penned 13 very important and instructive lessons that were learned. He considers these to be essential ingredients for good, efficient, and effective control of disease outbreaks. I would like to highlight three of these lessons below, since they may be especially relevant also for the current situation with respect to global avian influenza A (H5N1).

First: “transparency is the best policy”. Although nothing was known about the SARS coronavirus at the time when the disease first struck, we soon realized that, as Doberstyn points out, “some of the affected countries did not acknowledge openly and squarely the presence of SARS, downplayed its extent, and attempted to prove that it was something else.” Perhaps, if there had been prompt and accurate reporting of the full facts so that others could have been forewarned and taken preventive measures, history may have taken a different course. Infectious diseases such as SARS do not respect international borders. In one of the chapters in part II of the book, Mangai Balasegaram & Alan Schnur caution that “one nation’s weak response could endanger the world’s public health security.”

Second: “twenty-first century science played a relatively small role in controlling SARS; nineteenth-century techniques continued to prove their value”. We can not deny the general truth that we still continue to battle twenty-first century scourges with a nineteenth century toolbox supplemented by a few modern scientific advances. While the identification of the coronavirus may not have contributed substantially to control efforts, what was gratifying was that during the SARS outbreak in 2003 there was unprecedented collaboration among scientists and laboratories around the world to work together to identify the causative agent, map its genome and develop reliable diagnostic tests. There was openness and willingness to share critical scientific information promptly. As a result, the virus responsible was identified and its genome mapped within weeks of the outbreak. The scientific world was shown at its best. It should continue in this vein, with greater and closer cooperation in the face of threats from new and emerging microbes.

Third: “animal husbandry and marketing practices seriously affect human health”. Since its discovery in 2003, the SARS coronavirus has been thought to have originated in animals. One of the chapters of the book attempts to elucidate the evidence for this. In particular, it reports that the palm civet in southern China may have played a crucial role in this respect and that the close relationship between animals and humans seems to have been a likely precondition for the virus to jump the species barrier. Avian influenza is the single biggest public health threat the world faces right now. Fortunately, for the time being, human cases of avian influenza have arisen from direct infection from birds to humans, with only rare instances of probable human-to-human transmission. The SARS episode has underscored the importance of changing animal husbandry practices or “more viruses are likely to emerge from the animal world”. Old and unhygienic veterinary practices must be discarded or the public health risk from zoonotic diseases will always be with us.

Last edited:
In games like Pandemic 2 and Plague Inc. Madagascar is/was one of the hardest countries to infect. Madagascar could only be reached by ship and their ports would shut down almost immediately once your plague was discovered.

Cold heat resistance and aerosol perks

Madagascar never stood a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back