International Wuhan Coronavirus V2 - Hide your kids, hide your wife and buy masks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on if the person is wearing it properly, and by that I mean IF there is a good seal between mask and FACE. Assuming there is, then the mask are pretty good at blocking toxic dust and organic vapors and the novel coronovirus, but the virus also appears to be transmitted through touch. What is more effective as a preventative measure is for people who have the virus to wear them, so they don't spread it. I've used cartridge type masks and N95 masks to mitigate the effects of VOCs and toxic dust.
True theyre most effective if the infected are wearing them, but why do you say they'd block the virus itself?

Have you ever been to China bruvva?

iu

iu

iu

Nose picking is a national pastime in the middle kingdom

I spent a month in Taiwan and it's true that the Chinese there are completely unashamed of picking their nose in a public context. But they were pretty shy about picking their teeth with toothpicks. Different social taboos.

pick-teeth-chinese.jpg

A Chinese doctor who was initially sanctioned for warning about the deadly Wuhan coronavirus outbreak in early January has died, stoking fresh anger online at the Communist Party-led government.

I hate myself for asking, but can you elaborate here?
Don't hate yourself.

I won't hate myself for asking, but I'm wondering if China or other countries are doing anything to convince people to stop eating/trading in bushmeat, if that was the original source? Seems this thing could spread, undetected, in the wild and spawn new epicenters.

Don't hate yourself.

I won't hate myself for asking, but I'm wondering if China or other countries are doing anything to convince people to stop eating/trading in bushmeat, if that was the original source? Seems this thing could spread, undetected, in the wild and spawn new epicenters.
Yes, they are banning those types of wet markets.

However, just because something is technically against the law in China doesn't mean that it is enforced. China has thrived on being the wild east where laws are not really enforced and people are free to do whatever, as long as it does not disrupt social harmony (talk shit about the CCP). In recent years, they have started cracking down on certain things in light of scandals that make China look bad, such as the baby formula scandal.

We will likely see executions of Hubei officials, such as the mayor of Wuhan. The local governments will always take the blame for these things to cover for Beijing's fuckups. People are angry and want blood, the Hubei government will be fine scapegoats.

So basically there’s no way to stop this going global and either it’s something that will take many of us or we will find a cure in a year or so

either way, hold your loved ones and tell them you’ll see them on the other side

The road goes on forever and the party never ends, brother

So basically there’s no way to stop this going global and either it’s something that will take many of us or we will find a cure in a year or so

either way, hold your loved ones and tell them you’ll see them on the other side

The road goes on forever and the party never ends, brother
You could take your chances getting infected early and having a shot at getting proper healthcare before the majority get infected. Or try to stay inside until it blows over.

The Spanish flu hit in two waves. The first wave was relatively mild and mostly killed elderly and sick people. The ones who got infected in the first wave were largely inoculated by the time the deadly second wave hit, which killed young, healthy individuals who had avoided the first wave.

I hate myself for asking, but can you elaborate here?

There was an old video game called Pandemic (not the board game!) where you created your own virus with the intention of wiping out the earth. You could pick various factors and mutate it with the objective of infecting the most amount of people with the lowest number of symptoms before you made it lethal.

Madagascar was infamously difficult to get to because it closed its only sea port at the slightest cough.

Yes, they are banning those types of wet markets.

However, just because something is technically against the law in China doesn't mean that it is enforced. China has thrived on being the wild east where laws are not really enforced and people are free to do whatever, as long as it does not disrupt social harmony (talk shit about the CCP). In recent years, they have started cracking down on certain things in light of scandals that make China look bad, such as the baby formula scandal.
Agreed. The foray into industrial capitalism has hastened the necessity for them to legitimize; melamine is best used in professional sound abatement panels, not baby formula! And agreed that "the hustle" will notabide by restrictions/regulations, but good to hear the distant, top down leaders are trying, for optics anyway. Hopefully none suffer from lack of their normal protein sources.

I just messaged a classmate of mine back from university on Whatsapp. I was his campus ambassador at SFU for his exchange program more than a decade ago. His mom was a senior nurse at a hospital in Guangzhou. He told me that she retired two years ago and was recalled back for quick refresher in order to staff her old job. Apparently the hospital she worked at had sent three batches of doctors and nurses to Wuhan in two weeks, leaving them with a skeletal crew. The hospital had to find recently retired staff to just keep running.

From the sounds of it, the Chinese government is pulling every available nurse and doctor they could find across the country. You don't do that unless the number of infected are at least in the six digits.

I just messaged a classmate of mine back from university on Whatsapp. I was his campus ambassador at SFU for his exchange program more than a decade ago. His mom was a senior nurse at a hospital in Guangzhou. He told me that she retired two years ago and was recalled back for quick refresher in order to staff her old job. Apparently the hospital she worked at had sent three batches of doctors and nurses to Wuhan in two weeks, leaving them with a skeletal crew. The hospital had to find recently retired staff to just keep running.

From the sounds of it, the Chinese government is pulling every available nurse and doctor they could find across the country. You don't do that unless the number of infected are at least in the six digits.
Yes, they are sending them on suicide missions. They did the same thing when SARS hit. They collected "volunteers" (they got fired if they refused) and sent them straight into the epidemic. Many of them died, and they were never mentioned in the press or acknowledged in any way by the government. They don't give a toss about human life.

Yes, they are sending them on suicide missions. They did the same thing when SARS hit. They collected "volunteers" (they got fired if they refused) and sent them straight into the epidemic. Many of them died, and they were never mentioned in the press or acknowledged in any way by the government. They don't give a toss about human life.
That's a gross exaggeration according to him. He said his mom actually volunteered back in 2003 at the Pulmonology department at her hospital during the SARS crisis. It got her a promotion to head nurse right afterwards. Apparently these assignments are quite competitive and will earn you quite a bit of respect in the local community.

If you look at data outside of mainland China, there are only 2 deaths in 320 cases. That's a 0.06% death rate, hardly a "suicide" mission. Wuhan has exceptionally high death rate compared to the rest because the hospitals got overrun with large number of cases, not because this virus is particularly lethal.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

That's a gross exaggeration. He said his mom actually volunteered back in 2003 at the Pulmonology department at her hospital during the SARS crisis. It got her a promotion to head nurse right afterwards.

If you look at data outside of mainland China, there are only 2 deaths in 320 cases. That's a 0.06% death rate, hardly a "suicide" mission.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
No, I have second hand experience of it. My friend's mum (ER physician) was sent with 10 of her colleagues and 5 of them died. It is quite well-known that many of them died but were not recorded as SARS deaths.

You can't look at data outside of China yet, because it has not been long enough. We will know when the dust settles. The Japanese cruise ship will be a very good experiment.

Also, they are being sent to Wuhan, not outside of mainland China. They will not get the medical care they need when they get infected, and are thus likely to have way worse outcomes than what we see in functioning parts of the world.

No, I have second hand experience of it. My friend's mum (ER physician) was sent with 10 of her colleagues and 5 of them died. It is quite well-known that many of them died but were not recorded as SARS deaths.

You can't look at data outside of China yet, because it has not been long enough. We will know when the dust settles. The Japanese cruise ship will be a very good experiment.
That certainly was not what he described it as. He said here was only three infections among her department during the whole SARS crisis, and of whom survived. I would like to see a source that backs what you are saying.

China may very well be fudging its numbers, but certainly they can't keep their neighbor's number underlid. The first recorded case outside of China was in Thailand, and it's been three weeks since. I think it's safe to conclude the virus is a can when proper medical treatment is in place. The fear mongering is overblown.

That certainly was not what he described it as. He said here was only three infections among her department during the whole SARS crisis, and of whom survived. I would like to see a source that backs what you are saying.
Good luck getting any real numbers on that from China. I'm just going by anecdotal evidence like you.

I think it's safe to conclude the virus is a can when proper medical treatment is in place.
The point is they are being sent to Wuhan where proper medical treatment is not in place. The scale of this thing is entirely different than SARS too, most sick people are turned away at the door at the hospitals in Hubei, and are essentially left to die in their apartments.

It’s gotta be bad. Beijing won’t let anyone move around when their holiday ends. Everyone must have temperature scans to access anything like public transit or Banks and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back