wtf is a catch weight

Shadowdean

Fear the Menanite!!!
@purple
Reaction score
I can't find a definition of this anywhere. How is it different from a regular weight?

a catch weight is an agreed upon weight. for example when gracie fought hughes, i think the catch weight was 175. since gracie probaly doesnt know how to cut weight they agreed to fight at 175 instead of 170.

It's an agreed upon, nonstandard weight that is allowed by an athletic commission. So if GSP fought Chuck Liddell they could fight at a predetermined catch weight of 195 if the NSAC agreed that it would be a safe, fair fight.

A Catch weight is a compromise that allows fighters from different weight classes to fight eachother at a common weight. Although in the case of Gracie/Hughes, I think the catch weight was decided so that it wouldn't be a 5 round championship fight.

A Catch weight is a compromise that allows fighters from different weight classes to fight eachother at a common weight. Although in the case of Gracie/Hughes, I think the catch weight was decided so that it wouldn't be a 5 round championship fight.

so true. my bad!
i think sakurai vs. danzig was a catch weight of 163 instead of 160.

Wasn't the Hughes-Gracie fight catch weight due to Royce's size? From memory he walks at a shade over 190 rigth? If memory serves me right from the early UFCs

Royce may be 190 with a couple of Gi's in his training bag

Back