Wtf happened to MT in mma?

Well, this isn't exactly Muay Thai related, but Maia seems to do good against wrestlers. If I remember correctly, he's only really been beaten in the stand-up.

MT should be a wrestlers worst nightmare.
If MMA guys started taking a risk and using all the MT tools
we'd see wrestlers getting kneed in the face as they shot,
head kicks, legs being kicked to useless pulp etc.

Exactly. MT is perfect for negating the effectiveness of wrestle because it damages the legs with kicks and knees and controls the head when clinched.

It seems the ppl spouting off about wrestling now dominating MMA forget that the wrestlers are top tier, the boxers/MT practitioners are not.

Boxing + wrestling is proving to be a near perfect combination.

I cannot stand most wrestlboxers like sherk types. MT + Bjj I always thought to be the superior combination given the right athlete and level of profficiency.

I just thought about it when watching UFC 118, what the hell happened to muay thai. It wasnt so long ago that most practioners used MT, but now it seems to be boxing + BAD legkicks.

EXACTLY!

Rampage VS Griffin is the one fight where leg kicks really pop into my head :icon_twis
I think Forest mostly won that fight due to leg kicks IMO.

Yup, although I still think Forrest lost that fight, the leg kicks are what saved him. He had no chance otherwise. Which makes me wonder why Rampage never embraced Muay Thai.

MT should be a wrestlers worst nightmare.
If MMA guys started taking a risk and using all the MT tools
we'd see wrestlers getting kneed in the face as they shot,
head kicks, legs being kicked to useless pulp etc.

100% of the point im trying to make. Thank you!

How can MT be so bad when Mark Dellagrotte (sp?) is training so many fighters lol.

I am not sure it could be considered "pure" MT, but, someone who comes to mind is Alan Belcher. He trains regularly with Duke Roufus, and at Tiger MT in Thailand. He even wears MT style shorts when he fights in the Octagon, and probably has some of the most technically proficient leg kicks in MMA today.

Although, MMA is a compilation of styles, I would have to agree that more than a few of the leg kicks that I have seen thrown, are really poorly done. There is no question that a well thrown kick will end fights. All you have to do is look at some Pat Barry or Mirko Filipovic fights to confirm that.

:icon_chee

Go train some mma and try to throw legs kicks ull eventually get put on ur back and then stalled to they win the round thats why.

It seems that the concensus of folks posting on here think that muay thai = low kicks. IMO there's a lot more to the art/sport.

Now in terms of muay thai in MMA...it comes down to how much time an athlete has, and how that athlete is going to divide his time training the various skills he'll need in the octagon.

As stated, most folks are grappler-strikers...not striker-grapplers. Subsequently the standup will suffer and the ground work will be better. The only way you're going to get someone who is "good' at muay thai, is if muay thai is the core art, and everything else was added to THAT.

Right now...I don't know anyone in the MMA elite that fits that mold.

Knees are so underutilized... omfg... stand up fighters that fear the takedown need to spend hours and hours working on timing that knee. Anderson Silva style.

If you want to be able to throw sick MT combos you have to be prepared to be put on your back and work from there. I think fighters would rather be more timid with their MT then be on their back, especially against a wrestler or solid grappler. Just my thoughts anyway.

Knees are so underutilized... omfg... stand up fighters that fear the takedown need to spend hours and hours working on timing that knee. Anderson Silva style.

I agree. I think the reason why MT has kind of fell off the radar is that everyone is afraid of being taken down. If you get a guy like cro-cop and anderson silva who aren't afraid to get taken down, we'll probably see that MT can indeed be effective against wrestlers and we'll see a resurgeance.

I particularily like the knee to the face of someone trying to take me down. Even if they get the takedown they took some damage on the way in.

imo.....most fighters that attempt to to utilize mt in a mma fight just go through the motions when attempting strikes and never actually learn that mt is a sport of attrition...the purpose is to break your opponents will to fight.....when one properly throws a strike in mt it should be thrown with intent to do serious damage unless you are using a combonation to set up a kick, knee, or elbow....i think too much emphasis is placed on "points scoring" and not actual "damage done"......and take into consideration that this is coming from a mt fighter that doesnt fight mma

If you want to be able to throw sick MT combos you have to be prepared to be put on your back and work from there. I think fighters would rather be more timid with their MT then be on their back, especially against a wrestler or solid grappler. Just my thoughts anyway.
Good assessment.

As the dudes who train MT would know, MT is a style where
full commitment to your strikes (kicks, punches, knees, elbows)
is very important to executing them correctly.

my favorite fights are the ones in which someone gets destroyed by leg kicks. such a beautiful thing to watch. the grimace they make every time they receive another kick. them slowing down. them switching stances to avoid more punishment. and lets not forget the knock downs from leg kicks....amazing lol.

i understand the hesitation people have about throwing them in caution of being taken down. its just fights like edgar vs penn 2 that drive me nuts. either one of them cud have landed like a ton of leg kicks if they threw em. i think like all of edgar's kicks landed, and he maybe threw 5 the entire fight. im like "frankie, throw another leg kick right NOW, i guarantee it lands if you throw it" lol.

i understand the hesitation people have about throwing them in caution of being taken down. its just fights like edgar vs penn 2 that drive me nuts. either one of them cud have landed like a ton of leg kicks if they threw em. i think like all of edgar's kicks landed, and he maybe threw 5 the entire fight. im like "frankie, throw another leg kick right NOW, i guarantee it lands if you throw it" lol.

Just as frustrating watching BJ fail to throw low kicks, the way Edgar was using movement + speed to outpoint him and constantly moving INTO a right lowkick if Penn would just throw it and by doing so taking away Edgar's biggest advantage.

The level of striking in MMA just isn't that good outside of a handful of guys. Even someone with Penn's level of boxing couldn't utilize a pretty basic technique that coulda turned the fight around.

honestly, this comes back to a scoring issue. judges need to not give so much credit to takedowns so fighters aren't so scared of losing rounds just because of them. not wanting to go to your back because you are better at striking is one reason, but i really think that the takedown scoring is why most fighters don't mix in more kicks.

I think one big thing is the importance of not being on your back as well as the horrible decision that was Lyoto vs Shogun 1. Fans knew it but the judges did not, which is leg kicks do end fights. It seams like you almost need to over commit to leg kicks to show that your winning the fight by throwing them.

Could it also be that the days of Authentic Muay Thai are almost gone and the more hybrid styles of Muay Thai are becoming more prominent?

its that lay on top of you, stay as close and possible and throw chippy elbows is what happened to it. that dry humping shit is gay, i hope mma changes the scoring system alittle. its geared way too much for the wrestlers. its MMA for fucks sakes...

matt hughes hahaha.
in all seriousness i really do love muay thai what happened to wandys clinch he devastated people with knees in pride and has never really used the clinch since coming to the ufc.

The swap of ring for a cage limits the potential to use knees on opponents like wandy did in pride I rekon.

Back