Wtf happened to MT in mma?

mrsneakyz28

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I swear, it is so fucking underutilized now its not even funny. A few years ago it was the go to striking and now all I see is this bullshit mma adapted kickboxing.

LEG kicks are so underrated, because everyone is so scared of wrestlers taking them down. Well the more you kick someones legs the tougher time they will have shooting for that double...

MT clinch. I see alot of clinching but very few people effectively using and controlling fighters in the MT clinch. The last time I really saw it was Anderson against Rich Franklin. This could be because clinch defense has come a long way, but I still feel like it is underused.

So many fighters, (like Penn, Edgar, Diaz, etc.) are content to stand there and box for 15 or 25 minutes, now these guys have great boxing, but it seems like EVERYONE is following this trend now. 1 or 2 leg kicks per round with poor form is NOT Muay Thai. Maybe some people won't understand, but I feel like there is too much cautioness (ex: Kenny Florian against Maynard) to really start working some Thai combos, not this bullshit 1 kick at a time.

Can anyone list fighters that actively use Muay Thai with proper technique regularly in their fights?

I feel you homes. Thats why i love my main man shogun,.

wrestling happened

that shit is gay. Too many fighters are scared of wrestling, fucking train better subs off your back and better escapes. Sacrifice the first round on points to get some good shots in on their legs while probably getting taken down, thus making tougher for them to shoot for that double leg in the following rounds.

i would train knees to the face of incoming takedowns

Muay Thai is an amazing art but sadly wrestling has proven to be it's weakness.

Kicks are looked upon as "single leg takedowns" and the thai clinch is another opportunity to grab your opponent and start wrestling him down against the cage.
I love all aspects of MMA but pure wrestlers are dominating the sport right now.

Boxing + wrestling is proving to be a near perfect combination.

Jose Aldo?

Aldo is an exception because he is explosive. I don't know.You'll never see clinching in MMA or Teeps/Body kicks in MMA like in k-1/MT due to grapping. MMA is so complex, you have to worry other things.

Muay Thai is an amazing art but sadly wrestling has proven to be it's weakness.

Kicks are looked upon as "single leg takedowns" and the thai clinch is another opportunity to grab your opponent and start wrestling him down against the cage.
I love all aspects of MMA but pure wrestlers are dominating the sport right now.

Boxing + wrestling is proving to be a near perfect combination.

Agreed. But wrestling + bjj instead. The ability to take someone down and completely neutralize them seems to be unstoppable at the moment. ie. GSP, Rashad Evans, Fitch, Shields.

Agreed. But wrestling + bjj instead. The ability to take someone down and completely neutralize them seems to be unstoppable at the moment. ie. GSP, Rashad Evans, Fitch, Shields.

GSP Rashad and Fitch can hold their own with their striking.

I just thought about it when watching UFC 118, what the hell happened to muay thai. It wasnt so long ago that most practioners used MT, but now it seems to be boxing + BAD legkicks.

matt hughes hahaha.
in all seriousness i really do love muay thai what happened to wandys clinch he devastated people with knees in pride and has never really used the clinch since coming to the ufc.

feijao vs king mo fight is a great example on how to utilize MT in mma especially against wrestling. I think the mma fighters that use MT effectively in mma are the ones that are committed to using there MT in a fight(Shogun, Aldo, Silva). I mean by that they just aren't throwing a leg kick-jab-straight type combos but use real MT blasting elbows from different angles, usings knees to counter etc. In the Feijao fight he went straight to kneeing in the clinch he didn't wait and grapple to give King mom chance to get a takedown or something and they were heavy knees.

Yeah, I hear ya... Ask Renzo what leg kicks can do to ya!
Or Ken Shamrock.

MMA is constantly evolving, any successful combination of styles, will play out eventually. I hate to write this, but I honestly think there will be a rule change because of the wrestlers. No matter how technically great they are, I constantly see responses of "boring" from casual fans, and even some hardcore types.

Most striking in MMA has taken a backseat to wrestling takedowns at this point. Boxing has always been pretty terrible in MMA, now it's even worse. It's all about the points-based, get to a decision wrestler now..

feijao vs king mo fight is a great example on how to utilize MT in mma especially against wrestling. I think the mma fighters that use MT effectively in mma are the ones that are committed to using there MT in a fight(Shogun, Aldo, Silva). I mean by that they just aren't throwing a leg kick-jab-straight type combos but use real MT blasting elbows from different angles, usings knees to counter etc. In the Feijao fight he went straight to kneeing in the clinch he didn't wait and grapple to give King mom chance to get a takedown or something and they were heavy knees.

Yeah, in about three seconds Feijao proved Thai clinch > dirty boxing, and won a belt in the process.

And Jose Aldo uses probably the finest muay thai I've ever seen in MMA. I think his tech is clearly better than Wanderlei's, Shogun's, or Anderson's, as far as muay thai goes. Andy has ridiculous boxing.

But in general I agree with you. Seems like a lot of top fighters are content to box, even when they experience success with other things. Marcus Davis had little success in the 2nd and 3rd rounds except for one stretch where he threw about five leg kicks in a row and Diaz stopped walking through them and started slowing down to check them. But then for some reason Marcus went rght back to headhunting.

Rampage VS Griffin is the one fight where leg kicks really pop into my head :icon_twis
I think Forest mostly won that fight due to leg kicks IMO.

aldos muay thai is so so at best. i suppose its good in mma. There is no good muay thai fighters in MMA. The best would probably be Overeem or Melvin Manhoef but their style is more the dutch style than the thai style and the thai style pwnz everything

MT should be a wrestlers worst nightmare.
If MMA guys started taking a risk and using all the MT tools
we'd see wrestlers getting kneed in the face as they shot,
head kicks, legs being kicked to useless pulp etc.

Back