WSOF Signs Thiago Silva For 4 Man LHW Tourney Event; Headlined By Gaethje v. Palomino

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
WSOF signs Thiago Silva and pairs him up with Ronny Markes for the tournament, also Matt Hamill will be apart of the tournament facing the dreaded TBH. The card will be headlined by Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino.

Would have liked to see Tyrone Spong back for WSOF as part of this tourney. I bet he'd absolutely murder Hamill.

Thiago Silva is back.

The former UFC light-heavyweight contender has signed an exclusive multi-fight contract with World Series of Fighting, according to WSOF president Ray Sefo. Silva will be a part of a four-man light-heavyweight tournament to crown the promotion's inaugural 205-pound champion. Sefo said Silva will fight Ronny Markes in the semi-finals of the tournament, while the recently unretired Matt Hamill will face a yet-to-be announced fighter in the other semi-final. The winner of the tournament will win the belt.

Both tournament fights will take place on March 28 in a card headlined by Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino for the WSOF lightweight title. The venue for the event, which will air live on NBCSN, has yet to be finalized.

Silva was released from the UFC in February following an armed standoff with members of the Broward County police force at his residence in Florida. According to a police report, his ex-wife, Thaysa Kamiji, claimed that Silva had previously held a revolver inside her mouth, then later threatened to shoot up her partner and jiu-jitsu instructor Pablo Popovitch's school before a standoff with a SWAT team ended with a taser being deployed on Silva "for officer safety reasons."

Silva faced charges of aggravated assault and battery, sending threatening texts, and resisting arrest without violence as a result of the incident, however, the case was ultimately thrown out because the Broward County State Attorney's Office said, "the victim (Kamiji) was uncooperative, and investigators determined that she has likely moved out of the country."

A day after the charges were dropped in September, Silva was welcomed back to the UFC. However, he was released again two weeks later after Kamiji posted a series of controversial videos on YouTube.

"[WSOF executive vice president] Ali [Abdel-Aziz] and I talked about it," Sefo said. "We researched his situation, and the charges were dropped. He wasn't convicted. In my opinion, you're innocent until proven guilty. The guy is a great fighter so we want to give him an opportunity."

"I've talked to a lot of guys in his camp," Abdel-Aziz added. "Everyone talks about his character. "I'm lucky enough to know a little more about the situation with his ex-wife, and I feel comfortable with this. If the judge didn't convict him, why should we convict him? He's of the top light heavyweights in the world. We can give him an opportunity and a platform to showcase his skills."

Silva (16-3, 2 NC) hasn't fought since his Oct. 2013 win over Hamill, which is also Hamill's (11-2) last fight. In July, Hamill announced his retirement from MMA due to a "nagging injury," however, Sefo says the former UFC fighter is ready to resume his fighting career.

Markes (15-3), another former UFC fighter, is 1-0 in WSOF.

The promotion expects the tournament final to take place later this summer.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/1...ith-wsof-enters-four-man-tournament-for-light

Last edited:
Was just about to start a thread on this. Im thinking thiago silva smashes ronny markes and ends up winning the tourney. Just kinda depends on who they get to fight matt hamill. Hopefully its a good prospect or somthing. I kinda feel like it will be atilla vegh which would be a good addition.

wait so.. one night tourney? or they are saying both of those fights will just be on the same card

wait so.. one night tourney? or they are saying both of those fights will just be on the same card

Bottom of the quoted article reads: "The promotion expects the tournament final to take place later this summer."

Good, it'll be great to see him fight again. Glad he's getting another chance.

Man WSOF is clueless, I know few give a shit about them so they wont get much bad press but not a good move. UFC took heat for signing him again.

as for the fight/tournament its whatever, Justin/Baboon is solid, hope his deal is up soon so he can sign with UFC.

Man WSOF is clueless, I know few give a shit about them so they wont get much bad press but not a good move. UFC took heat for signing him again.

as for the fight/tournament its whatever, Justin/Baboon is solid, hope his deal is up soon so he can sign with UFC.

I think he has two fights left on his contract so after this one he should have one more title defense before getting the opportunity to sign with the big leagues.

sounds good. Hope Silva wins. Markes could take it if Silva is fat and hasn't been training. He's gone into huge fights out of shape before.

Hell yeah! thiago is one of my favorite fighters. So much swag and violence.

Would rather silva in bellator where he would actually have competition. Silva and Mo could a gppd headliner in a title eliminator

I really like the news honestly. Thiago Silva may have done some bad shit but as a fight fan glad to see him back. I like the tourney name wise.

JG deserves better but Baboon ain't too bad of a test and will be a fun ass fight.

Rare that WSOF news actually really excites me now days.

Hope they find a solid prospect for the other 205 spot.

I really like the news honestly. Thiago Silva may have done some bad shit but as a fight fan glad to see him back. I like the tourney name wise.

JG deserves better but Baboon ain't too bad of a test and will be a fun ass fight.

Rare that WSOF news actually really excites me now days.

Hope they find a solid prospect for the other 205 spot.

Why not throw Spong in there?

Glad to see Thiago back. I do not understand the UFC getting rid of him based on a brief video his vindictive wife posted. Hopefully with a couple of wins he can come back to the UFC, just like Rumble did.

who cares for bad press.... Jones just tested for coke and UFC did nothing.

Glad to see Thiago back. I do not understand the UFC getting rid of him based on a brief video his vindictive wife posted. Hopefully with a couple of wins he can come back to the UFC, just like Rumble did.

totally agree ...that was bullshit!

Why not throw Spong in there?
I'd assume he isn't an option, with them not announcing that already. He would be great to have in it for sure and even though Hamill is way more experienced I don't think it would be a mis-match.

But Thiago Silva and him train at the same gym, they wouldn't fight each other so that probably factored in. Spong is a attraction with or without the belt and he doesn't seem all into MMA.

Markes is gonna hold down Silva to a UD. I'm interested to see what Silva has learned from Blackzillians tho. Glad to see him back

What's the status of his leg injury? Haven't hears a lot about him lately

is he still under contract? he was at one of the ufc press conferences begging dana white to sign him(literally). I know he posted a video of him using the leg not long after his injury, so it can't be that bad

Back