WSJ will not call Trump's falsehoods lies, editor says.

N

NewGuardBjj

Prefaced by: Now let's not let our jimmies get rustled here and start calling each other cucks right out the gate. Lets have a real discussion here, so maybe the children can just step aside for a moment?

Here's a tight-ass article by the Huffington Post (triggered) that talks about how a WSJ editor thinks calling Trump's lies "lies" in their publication would compromise objectivity by smuggling in moral judgments. He goes on to claim that the WSJ is mindful in this regard because it believes it should present readers with the "facts" and then let them decide on their own.

I'm subscribed to the Journal and think one of their strongest virtues is their ability to keep their verbiage in check. They avoid the journalistic pitfalls of sensationalism, almost to a fault. That's why I think this particular choice is a double edged sword. On the one hand, the editor is absolutely right. On the other, he's being played by the Trump effect, the media's befuddlement about how to handle someone as unorthodox as the Donald.

Consider where we might be if the media had called out both Trump and Clinton, held them accountable on every pass.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_586934b8e4b0eb586489df43

There's nothing wrong with calling out a politician for their lies or their positions.

TS, read this. Might help you understand the strategic element of these "lies". After all, it won him the election.

Trump & Truthful Hyperbole

http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=9080

Note: I don't agree with the writers opinion that it's "malign", but truthful hyperbole is used as a strategy to get people talking. If he says "thousands of Muslims were celebrating 9/11 attack", then people have to debunk it and prove only a couple hundred Muslims were celebrating thus getting people talking about what he wants them to talk about.

"Millions of illegal voters" also falls in this category.

TS, read this. Might help you understand the strategic element of these "lies". After all, it won him the election.

Trump & Truthful Hyperbole

http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=9080

Note: I don't agree with the writers opinion that it's "malign", but truthful hyperbole is used as a strategy to get people talking. If he says "thousands of Muslims were celebrating 9/11 attack", then people have to debunk it and prove only a couple hundred Muslims were celebrating thus getting people talking about what he wants them to talk about.

"Millions of illegal voters" also falls in this category.

I think there're more problems with truthful hyperbole than there are perks. As a political strategy it might work, but making it the standard will damage the conversation. Witness Clinton's claim that half of Trump supporters are deplorables.

I mean, I'm still unconvinced that that is not true. And I spend quality time with all of you on a daily basis.

But I wanted to see what you guys thought about the dilemma the WSJ editor is facing and his solution.

This is hot stuff Right now with all the criticism of the MSM.

This post pretty much dies immediately, yet the meaningless one I made about fighting is poppin' off with top-O-the-line opinions.

WR is vapid af.

This post pretty much dies immediately, yet the meaningless one I made about fighting is poppin' off with top-O-the-line opinions.

WR is vapid af.
Not everyone can always make great threads like me.

But I wanted to see what you guys thought about the dilemma the WSJ editor is facing and his solution.

This is hot stuff Right now with all the criticism of the MSM.

Well if they just report everything trump says as true, whether or not he is lying, then the right will be happy.

Back