Wrongful Convictions Cases

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Banchan, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Banchan

Banchan Banned Banned

I have a pretty wicked fever right now so i've been binge watching murder mysteries and I came across the Mark Carver story and it sounds sort of like a Brendan Dassey version two only with more innocence. The premise that if you are poor and marginal you may not be able to afford a fair trial bears striking similarity.

A college student Ira Yarmolenko winds up strangled by a river. About 100 yards away were two handicap mental disability cousins fishing in their favorite spot by the river.

Carver and his cousin were found guilty based on two key pieces of evidence. Touch dna on Ira's car and an admission that Carver did not see Ira that day but appears to tell investigators that she was small and mimics her height with his hand. NC Center on Actual Innocences prominent lawyer Chris Mumma believes Carver is innocent and retrives footage of the investigation that may explain why both key pieces of evidence against Carver is unreliable which was never presented to the jury. The presiding judge is also on board believing that Carver did not receive adequet counsel as his defense attorney believing this was an open and shut case had not created much of a defence for the convicted man.

Asked if he felt responsible for Carvers wrongful conviction his former lawyer Brent Ratchford said this

Asked if he felt responsible for Carver’s conviction, Ratchford choked up. “Absolutely,” he said. “In 17 years, this is the case that haunts me.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article9196229.html#storylink=cpy

choke you and RR like this.
  2. Banchan

Banchan Banned Banned

This one might be even worse.

A 14 year old Steven Truscott gives a fellow classmate a bike ride to the roadway where she plans to hitch a ride to see some ponies. She is found raped and murdered two days later and the 14 year old is convicted and sentenced to death. 40 years later evidence points to a deceased military sex offender with a past full of sexual indecencies against little girls who frequented the area and worked with the girls father. Interesting spec to the case this is one such case that led to abolishion of the death penalty in canada.

3. El_Dyablo619

El_Dyablo619 Head of C.I.A. Yellow Card

2844893973_f9314bc777.jpg Just because they act innocent doesn't mean they are

4. dildos

dildos Gold Belt

this story is terrible from start to finish.

"On a summer night in 1987, a Denver woman was out drinking with three men, and after saying goodnight and returning home, was severely beaten and raped in her apartment. Her facial bones were broken and she lost sight in one eye.

The victim first told police it was too dark to identify her attacker, then said it was one of the three men. A day and a half later, she said it came to her in a dream that the assailant was her neighbor, Clarence Moses-El.

Based on that, Moses-El, who said he was innocent, was convicted of rape and assault. But last week, a Denver judge overturned the convictions and on Tuesday afternoon, after serving 28 years of his 48-year prison sentence, Moses-El was released on bond.

“This is the moment of my life, right here,” Moses-El, now 60, said outside a Denver jail, laughing and hugging his grandchildren for the first time. “I just want to get home to my family, my grandchildren. It’s wonderful, I waited a long time for this.”

- https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/24/clarence-moses-el-free-denver-rape-case

so basically he was locked up for 28 years based on the lady when she came out of the coma she said she saw his face and that was enough for him to be convicted and serve over half his sentence before being freed. terrible terribly sad story from start to finish. i am not sure if they found who did it.

LiLoMMA likes this.
  5. dildos

dildos Gold Belt

and i would like to say that the ramsay family should never have been exonerated the way they did.

not saying they did it, but they definitely know what happened and jon benet will never be able to find justice.

mb23100 likes this.
  6. Vomit Inducing Brutality

Vomit Inducing Brutality Depraved Individual Platinum Member

Tyson didn't do it!

[​IMG]

7. LiLoMMA

LiLoMMA Lindsay Lohan's party belt

What makes you so sure they know what happened? What I got from this case is that the detectives up in Boulder are pathetic and have been able to produce nothing in this case. As far as I see it, the parents could have done it, could know what happened or could be in the same boat as us wondering who and why would do that. I don't see any evidence to support any theory and think the Colorado cops fucked up, am I missing anything?

dildos likes this.
  8. dildos

dildos Gold Belt

yeah look thats the impartial way to look at it, and because the case got so fucked up thats the only way to look at it. family and friends were walking in and out of the house and the cops hadnt even done a proper investigation of the crime scene. it took so long to get individual statements which by 5 months later it was so structured and practiced by the parents.

the point of exoneration is that it is fully proven you did not do it. that family was not fully proven, the da just decided to exonerate them and there was uproar by the grand jury that said they should not be fully exonerated.

were you round boulder at the time? if you were do you remember what it was like?

LiLoMMA likes this.
  9. LiLoMMA

LiLoMMA Lindsay Lohan's party belt

Boulder is around an hour away to the north. I do remember, it was huge, and the initial media reports all had the "parents probably did it" angle.
    It was definitely the top story in Colorado for months. As a teen at the time, seeing the family lawyering up and seemingly avoiding questions made me think they're guilty as hell. I'm not so sure anymore tho, I can see how they would be distrustful of the cops and general public based on the consensus opinion of the public that they were involved despite having 0 evidence. None.
    Hopefully I'm not wrong on this last part, but from what I understand, the exonerated thing comes from finding DNA that doesn't belong to the Ramseys on the underwear.

dildos likes this.
  10. Hattori

Hattori Green Belt

O J

O Wait

jordan228 likes this.
  11. mushishi

mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

That's one bad man!